Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 35117 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
The Daisy haters best watch that last stoppage just prior to the Weitering kick off the ground.

Daisy in the right place, three critical touches in as many seconds. Basically won us the game.
Beat me to it, spot on. Its what you want the more experienced guys to do. Who said defence doesnt win you games? Those final seconds in the teeth of there goal was a hot as you would get but they all stood up. Daisy iced with with his calmness and Weiters finished it by just hacking it
 away as far as could.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
One aspect of the game that pleased me was the defensive work of our midfielders.  Our numbers behind the ball gave GWS an advantage at stoppages but, although they won the clearances, hard work from our midfielders, and especially Matty Kreuzer, stopped GWS from capitalising.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Wow. Just wow.
Aside from a couple of short lived lapses, our boys were sensational.
From selection to coaching, to execution. This is one to remember - one for the oldies like Kruez, and the youngsters like Plowman, and the almost forgotten like Jones.

How brilliant was the Jones boy? Big shoes to fill with Rowe out (and ASOS) going down so early. I kept thinking the floodgates would open, but the boys G & D was fierce. Thought Lamb added some class, better than Stevie J afaic.

Levi was great sound the ground, maybe we're playing him out of position too ;) Daisy earned every $ and no doubt enormous respect from players and coaches alike. Noticed BB giving him last instructions just before q4 started. He did not disappoint. Well done.

The Blues brothers were fantastic too. Loved Charlie's strong tackle in the dying minutes. He must have been buggered, but even put in to land seconds.

Our leaders, especially big MK led by example today. What a super lesson for the youngsters. Had the conviction, confidence, commitment, and composure to out class the best. Last time they beat us by about 10 goals.

Take that. The Blues are coming.

Congratulations to all in our 1's and 2's. VERY promising signs for the club as a whole.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #48
Beat me to it, spot on. Its what you want the more experienced guys to do. Who said defence doesnt win you games? Those final seconds in the teeth of there goal was a hot as you would get but they all stood up. Daisy iced with with his calmness and Weiters finished it by just hacking it
 away as far as could.

Our defence is shaping up very nicely, but it's not just about our back 6, as good as they are. So many times this season, in pretty much all games I have watched,  I have heard the commentators say "Carlton have set up really well". Credit to all concerned.

However, both defense and attack win matches. And our defense, as good as they are, had nothing to do with the fact that Greene left his contacts at home.

At any rate, I'm very happy for the win, and very happy that we had a little luck. Plenty of better and more developed teams than us have won in very fortunate circumstances. You have to be in the contest for the luck to have any effect. So well done CFC

Reply #49
What a win, had a weird feeling about this game it felt like the Geelong game last year. Injury early and so on.

Charlie keep steadily keeps improving, has all the commentators drooling over him every week and even Leigh Matthews the other week. They all are worried that we have recruited the best athlete since Buddy.

Cunningham another showing great signs every week and improving a lot. Kreuz playing career best footy. Liam Jones great coaching move, closing speed and marks in defence.

Just so many positives. Footy world is worried they are starting to notice what we are building.

Reply #50
More rubbish disrespect from the media, spitting out their teeth no doubt. I wonder which one of them put $21K on GWS at 3/4 time?

Sam Landsberger about Liam Jones;

CARLTON fans rubbed their eyes in disbelief.

Itchy and Scratchy Land sold out of ‘Bort’ licence plates...........

It’s a funny thing, confidence. Ardent Blues watchers wouldn’t have been surprised, with Jones building his belief with a stack of dominant VFL performances. Last night Jones might have dreamed of finally becoming a star defender, perhaps even Blu-Tacking a selfie amongst the collection.

Until Sunday, not even the most optimistic Blues fan believed him.

On Sunday it was ‘Leaping Liam’ instead of ‘Laughable Liam’ and if that continues he will be at the Blues in 2018.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
What a win, had a weird feeling about this game it felt like the Geelong game last year. Injury early and so on.

Charlie keep steadily keeps improving, has all the commentators drooling over him every week and even Leigh Matthews the other week. They all are worried that we have recruited the best athlete since Buddy.

Cunningham another showing great signs every week and improving a lot. Kreuz playing career best footy. Liam Jones great coaching move, closing speed and marks in defence.

Just so many positives. Footy world is worried they are starting to notice what we are building.

Liam J had kicked the door down with his repeated NB's performances.....his closing speed is remarkable.

what happened to ACoS btw?

Re Daisy, sure he did his bit today, well done. Doesn't mean that happens every week....i just don'r see the level playing (selection) field when it comes to Daisy.....looks like a very decent fella, for sure, but that ain't the point.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52

Early thoughts/rumours were nothing structural, possibly bone bruising, but we'll have to wait and see.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Cop that Johnston, cop that Green, cop that Mumford!  GWS were in to Marchbank and Plowman big time all day and they both creamed them!!
I agree. There were a few boys out there today who will be VERY pleased with the result and the choices they made. Marchbank and Plowman will top the list. And their looks when it was over said a lot.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
Liam J had kicked the door down with his repeated NB's performances.....his closing speed is remarkable.

Re Daisy, sure he did his bit today, well done. Doesn't mean that happens every week....i just don'r see the level playing (selection) field when it comes to Daisy.....looks like a very decent fella, for sure, but that ain't the point.

Rowe is going to struggle coming back from this knee but with ASOS and Jones now providing sort of more senior options it will be even harder. They have closing speed on him and the fact they mark more than he does. Our backline is so stacked it provides great confidence to the team now. Need to just stack the mids and forwards over the next couple years.

Reply #55
You took the words out my mouth!

Whoever it was who came up with the idea of playing Jones as a defender could have resurrected his career ... and good luck to him.
Indeed. Liam Jones was appreciated today. Every disposal, every mark and every spoil got noticed. Patton got 2 goals, but neither of those were due to Jones' being beaten. The 2nd one was one of the worst decisions I've seen, but that is a different issue. Jones can look forward to more senior games with confidence. And we might just enjoy it! :) 
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #56
What feels so different for mine?

That this far in, the past 2 T & D results feel right. Compare that to pre 2015, when we could hear our collective sigh of disappointment.

The past 2yrs recruiting (staff + players) could quietly yield the foundation of our next cup. Add the few stars we've collected like Docherty and Crippa, and well...
Let's say it's very exciting times for our much loved club.

Go new Blues
Henry Ford.

Reply #57
Sam Landsberger about Liam Jones;

Laughing at you Landsberger. What a pathetic shallow article.
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
Gibbs got stuck into Mumford after the latter smashed Kreuzer when he marked in the pocket.  It should have been a 50m penalty and certain goal.
The 50 m penalties were an interesting thing. Also the down field free kicks. How Kreuzer did not get 50 m was just not how things were umpired early in the game. Similarly to Daisy close to the end. I guess I shouldn't expect consistency, but some thing did stand out.

I think Gibbs is getting a pretty rough rap at the moment. There are times when you want him to be more physical, but he really put his body in while at the clearances today. He also does now tackle more effectively. He will never be a Mitch Robinson, but he isn't the outside player he was.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #59
Was at the game today with my Carlton mate and what a fantastic day.

The last 2 minutes really didn't do my heart any good but when that final siren went the crowd went into raptures.

What really stood out for me, especially in the last 2 minutes was that none of our players went into their shell. They all wanted the ball like the lives depended on it. They took the game on and attacked and attacked and even though it looked hectic our boys looked composed. To not take the easy option and rush the behind and force a draw they backed themselves in to clear it out, brilliant.

Everyone contributed today, and our young blokes looked like 100+ game players.

I love watching when they show Bolts in the box, he wears his heart on his sleeve, rides the bumps like as we do as supporters. But you can see it in his eyes he knows exactly what is going on and is reacting on the fly with his instructions to the team.

M.
SOS - "I hated losing"