Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review) (Read 75937 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Smack Saints (Aftermatch Review)

Reply #105
re Watson...

He was asked to fill space for most of the night. The space 15m in front of Riewoldt. Jamo had roo inside 50, and most of the time he went on a searching lead outside 50, Jamo handed over to Watson.
Walker also performed a similar role.

Both Walker and Tuohy spent a fair bit of time on Milne.

The combination of that TEAM defence is why we did so well against the sainters down back. They were all covering for eachother and forcing the saints to go out wide.

Watson didn't have a brilliant night, but he performed his role.
The fact his inclusion meant Henderson was able to play a full game forward, with obvious benefits, is another tick for Watson....and Mick and the MC.

Reply #106
My word we were slow slow slow to move the ball forward....

As soon as we addressed that point, we looked a 300% better side.

It's been an issue most of this season. Ratts was too much one way, and MM has gone too much the other way.

Gives the opposition too much time to set up their defense. Watch the Dawks to see fast and accurate ball movement. Beautiful to watch.

Reply #107
Geeze, Watson moved like an Iceberg. Surely gone either this year or next.

Rutten moves like one too.. but everyone has a hard-on for him
Ummm...Rutten is a proven, AA full-back, reads the play as well as any defender in the AFL & uses his body extremely well one-on-one, with a reputation 2nd-to-none.....

Your turn sir.....

Watson has played 12 games and hasn't had a consistent run in the seniors...

your turn sir.
That's it......your hanging your hat on that? Come on LR, you can do better than that.....

12 senior games & countless VFL games over 3 years whereby he's shown no improvement in one-on-one contests (did you watch the VFL game against Casey Scorpions a couple of weeks ago?), is beyond hopeless when the ball hits the ground & doesn't read the play particularly well. I'm more than happy to have seen him get a game last night & like all Carlton players, hope he turns into a gun or even something more-than-reasonable will do - however, without the ball in his hands or at ground level.......yikes, he's got some work to do....and so far it hasn't improved over the 3 years he's been part of the AFL system. I shudder to think what someone like Drew Petrie or Robbie Tarrant might do to him.....
I reckon he has the tools to be a good footballer, its in his head that he aint right IMO. IF he could get his attitude and attack on the man and footy right, I think he could be ok. We saw some glimpses last year I reckon. But you're Brettie, has hasnt struck a blow in 3 years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #108
Geeze, Watson moved like an Iceberg. Surely gone either this year or next.

Rutten moves like one too.. but everyone has a hard-on for him
Ummm...Rutten is a proven, AA full-back, reads the play as well as any defender in the AFL & uses his body extremely well one-on-one, with a reputation 2nd-to-none.....

Your turn sir.....
One's around 30yo, the other's 20. Much of Rutten's strength develop with time. Can't remember how Rutten was at 20 though.

Reply #109
Henderson was just what we needed tonight. Rowe is a keeper if he can get his endurance working . Watson probably did more in the seniors than he does in the juniors. Simo well done, Judd same old magic, and Garlett getting more active along with Yarran. Much better efforts. Not pretty but better for certain. ;)

I just can't agree with you there Mantis, I reckon he is a stop-gap measure until a better option comes along. He plays the CHF position pretty well due to his years of experience in the role at Norwood but he has some limitations which will get exposed against the better teams.

I will say this though, he's a much better key forward option for us than Casboult purely on the back of his kicking for goal.
Apparently Rowe has just signed a 1 year contract for next season. So he is going to be around for a little while longer

I don't know about Casboult, who is a better mark, but a worse kick and who also tends to run under the ball too much. I can't see both of them there next year, but there is also Mitchell.

Most of us can identify some of Rowe's issues, especially when the ball hits the ground. However, if we can get him playing to his strengths, rather than his weaknesses, he does give us something. Ross Ditchburn also had weaknesses, but we played to his strengths and he was top goal kicker for us.

Rowe's signed a contract and Casboult has one and has shown quite a bit at times. Both will still  be here and so they should be. Rowe seems alot more natural forward, and hope last night does alot for his confidence. Casboult's very best games have been we he can use his marking, and pack crashing abilties, up and around the ground as he did with his 10 good marks in  the Esssendon  game.

Reply #110
I don't get the negativity about last night's win. It was a good, solid win... one we had to and should have won. They threw everything at us and we had the answers. The twin talls up forward were both terrific. And when Eddie came on he showed some of his old dash.

Another big test is against a mob who like to beat us up... the Kangabies. Huge game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Curnow - maybe OK as a tag but awful disposal
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Wow two games back off a long layoff and Carrazzo is a weakness that needs to be replaced?  :o
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #112
Carrots looks a fair way off it, but he'll come back.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #113
I don't get the negativity about last night's win. It was a good, solid win... one we had to and should have won. They threw everything at us and we had the answers. The twin talls up forward were both terrific. And when Eddie came on he showed some of his old dash.

Another big test is against a mob who like to beat us up... the Kangabies. Huge game.

Don't know if it's negativity Baggers - just nothing to get excited about. Saints have been a bogey team for us for ages. But they have also been on the slide now for 2-3 seasons, and are now officially garbage - their best players are past their use by date, and a few of them weren't even playing. Watters is a crap coach, they've won three games this year. This was desperation time for us. We simply had to win.

As for Norf, they are much better than the Saints, and will be a better test for us - I'm not confident at all.

Reply #114

Wow two games back off a long layoff and Carrazzo is a weakness that needs to be replaced?  :o

I think it's the worst game I've seen Carratts play for 6 or 8 years, I rate him highly and I'll cut him some slack but he needs to lift big time on that effort.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #115
Watching the replay. Surprised how well a couple of times Watson closed on opposition leads, once on Reiwoldt and got the spoil in. Like to see him lighten off a little to help his pace. With continuity and confidence he could well do okay. Need to keep playing him, being 20, to develop that confidence. It's helps our forward line alot if he succeeds.

Reply #116

I'll just see how they go v. North before I get too optimistic - I've been burnt once too often in the past by getting too far ahead of the real situation.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117

I'll just see how they go v. North before I get too optimistic - I've been burnt once too often in the past by getting too far ahead of the real situation.

IN THE BAG COOKIE!!

It will be a much harder and higher quality game, but still a win.

4-5 goals.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #118
Aside from Watson, who I'll keep my powder dry on for now, I think our major weaknesses, based on last night, are:

Armfield
Curnow - maybe OK as a tag but awful disposal
Carrazzo.

There are obviously others who could be criticised, but replace the above with three hard at it quality players and we could be looking a lot better.

Carrazzo may well get back on song, let's hope he does. Some also like Curnow's and Army's work. But I still think we need at least three much higher quality players on our list and, Watson aside for the moment,  based on last night's performance those are the three who I would be looking to replace in that 22. By season's end that could have changed.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119
N e 1 hear MM's presser after the game?
Was listening on radio on way home and they were asking why Watto hasnt been getting a game.......I nearly drove off the road when MM said that Watto's form ALL YEAR has been very encouraging but Jamo and hendo were doing the job for him.  His form encouraging ??? :o

I cant take MM seriously any more after that. Cudo's to Watto for last nights effort. It wasnt awe inspiring but he did " a " job and passed. Hopefully he can keep it up and prove to everybody that he really does want to be a Blue. ;)
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!