Skip to main content
Topic: Football Cliches (Read 1159 times) previous topic - next topic

Football Cliches

Love them or hate them...a lot of them are mostly nonsense (with some basis in fact ;) )
What's your favourite?
Which ones do you hate?
Got anymore that grate?

"We're just taking it one week at a time."

"They need to lower their eyes" :D

"Injuries are no excuse."

"I wouldn't kick the goals if it wasn't for the blokes in front of me"

"Every team gets injuries"

"We need to learn to play four quarters."

"We knew they'd come hard at us"

"They're a better team than their ladder position"

"Big men don't get smaller as the game goes on."

"He's been training the house down (usually every player pre-season)"

"There's still time" (CH 7 commentators when a side is 50 points down half way through the last quarter.)

"The next goal is important."

"It is what it is"

"Don't blame the umpires" (when it's clearly the umpires fault)

"You know nothing about football" (usually said by someone who knows nothing about football...it's not that simple or predictable and is changing all the time)

Re: Football Cliches

Reply #1
Here you go; Dump kicks and dance steps: Has jargon taken over footy commentary?

One brighter point from the article is that the use of "quarterback" to describe a Luke Hodge role in defence has fallen out of favour after being in vogue in the 2010s.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/from-the-four-walls-to-the-fat-side-cutting-through-footy-jargon-20230511-p5d7nj.html

Meanwhile, a Four'n Twenty ad has explained "lower the eyes";

In AFL Football, "lowering the eyes" refers to a judicious attempt at moving the ball forward accurately, by adjusting your line of sight to a team mate in a nearer proximity. For football fans, of course, it simply means diverting your gaze from the on-field action and concentrating on the delicious Four'n Twenty pie in your hand.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Here you go; Dump kicks and dance steps: Has jargon taken over footy commentary?

One brighter point from the article is that the use of "quarterback" to describe a Luke Hodge role in defence has fallen out of favour after being in vogue in the 2010s.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/from-the-four-walls-to-the-fat-side-cutting-through-footy-jargon-20230511-p5d7nj.html

Meanwhile, a Four'n Twenty ad has explained "lower the eyes";

In AFL Football, "lowering the eyes" refers to a judicious attempt at moving the ball forward accurately, by adjusting your line of sight to a team mate in a nearer proximity. For football fans, of course, it simply means diverting your gaze from the on-field action and concentrating on the delicious Four'n Twenty pie in your hand.

In other words “Focus on the dogs eyes “!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
One of the commentators described Daniher “lowering his eyes” when he shanked a kick inside 50 and missed his target by 15m.  Joe should have lowered his eyes a bit more 🙄
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
More of a malapropism than a cliche but when I was playing with the mighty Coburg Ammos, our coach would say, “We’ve got Mad Dog as a vocal point at CHF!” (Mad Dog was actually our CHB and a very good footballer).

I used to think of correcting him or making a humorous comment but, as a fringe player, I kept my mouth shut.

I think that it was a fairly common mistake way back then and may have crept into several radio commentators’ vocabulary.

Reply #5
Ah, yes, the old 'vocal' point. Maybe he meant for Mad Dog to shout and scream all day and for the players to kick it down his throat!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6
This old one, similar to the dog ate my homework excuse. I didn't see it. The perfect cop-out answer to a question.