Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29880 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #105
Fleetingly, I had that feeling.  You all remember THAT feeling we used to get many moons ago. When we got behind we knew we would come back. Felt good.
Disappointed, bloody, f'ing disappointed for losing BUT the team is building or growing.
If we are still building and growing and can get soooo close against a grand final aspirant then just maybe we might be the real deal.
A couple of free agents and natural growth AND the AFL telling the umps to go easy on us then....
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #106
To summarise.

I thought we had no chance to win before the game.

Until 5 mins to go I thought we would win today. 

Unfortunately we didn't get across the line.  I'm sure plowman touched the goal to put them in front. 

Anyway, I'm buoyed by our progress.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #107
That’s pretty harsh. 20 disposals, 14 contested. DE 60% which is low but he didn’t cost us the game.

Had a cracking game year last year, can play and will improve.

Better than Scott Pendlebury ????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #108
We should have had a free against us in the last quarter for a second set up infringement.

No frees will be paid for 6-6-6 infringements this season.  It will always be a warning followed by the umpire throwing the ball up
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
He played some sort of a game, they got 50 HO's, he got 48. Goes it alone all day long.

Grundy is a champ, no doubt. Take a look at the clearances folks. It's a very encouraging result and just one indicator of our progress. Particularly against a premier experienced, strong midfield. One of the reasons Kruez is so important (regardless of hit outs) is his clearance rate. Superior to Grundy. All very encouraging Bluebaggers.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #110
Media are going to turn the after match brawls into a frenzy.   I'm not condoning the violence,  but when you have fans frustrated by diabolical umpiring,  then they get taunted, what does the AFL expect is going to happen?

crap umpiring + frustrated fans = behaviour problems.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #111
Last year v Collingwood we got about 45k to the game.   The crowd today was awesome  - noise from Carlton was the loudest it has been for some years (from limited games I've been to). 

While we don't know the outcome should an umpires decision goes the other way, 2 spring my mind.
 - de Goey block of Cripps just before half time.  de Goey turned and saw Cripps coming.   Goal to Grundy not long before half time.
- 50m penalty against Jack SOS. others may correct me but  all they did was swap man on the mark - didn't affect the play in anyway.  Goal to them.

Marchbanks' spill in the third - must have run close to 50m to effect this.  Awesome effort.

We are starting to show more even contribution and there seems to be genuine excitement with what is to come.  Hope the lads can deliver.

Reply #112
Media are going to turn the after match brawls into a frenzy.   I'm not condoning the violence,  but when you have fans frustrated by diabolical umpiring,  then they get taunted, what does the AFL expect is going to happen?

crap umpiring + frustrated fans = behaviour problems.
Indeed. 8 frees to 24, where we had 2 in the second half. I have never seen a more one sided effort from any umpire combination.
It is an emotional game and we were clearly robbed. If there ever was going to be an official complaint, this would be it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #113
We are beginning to play some scintillating football and getting down the ground and scoring quickly. Something that hasn't happened at Carlton for a long long while.

We're not a basket case anymore. We fielded five players who have played twenty and under games, Setterfield, Stocker,  Walsh, Cunners and Willo. They all look to be 100 game plus players.

If we're after a big fish, which by all reports we are, then wether we won or lost it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see that there's something special happening.

I haven't seen anyone mention Jack but he did some very smart kicks that resulted in goals to others. He obviously listens to the coaches and works on his game. He faded in the second half but I think he's beginning to find a place in the side. Also nice to see Charlie find his mojo. The mark in the goal square one out against Moore was a ripper.

Reply #114
Just watched the replay:

Jason Dunstall on Fox Footy after the Crisp goal with 5 mins to go after the 50 meter penalty, regarding Elliot touching the ball “He got a fingertip on that....yep, maybe not enough to turn it over.’

What does that mean? Either it’s touched or not, no grey area!!

And where’s the score review after each goal???  Even the 4th umpire was against us!

Reply #115
Indeed. 8 frees to 24, where we had 2 in the second half. I have never seen a more one sided effort from any umpire combination.
It is an emotional game and we were clearly robbed. If there ever was going to be an official complaint, this would be it.
Ill say this about the frees, our boys hang onto the footy too long in the tackle and get pinged HTB more than any team I have watched. Conversely, the Filth plays dish it off quickly, they are able to do this because they get numbers around the ball. We dont (often enough). We need to get this area of our game right quickly as its costing us goals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #116
Just watched the replay:

Jason Dunstall on Fox Footy after the Crisp goal with 5 mins to go after the 50 meter penalty, regarding Elliot touching the ball “He got a fingertip on that....yep, maybe not enough to turn it over.’

What does that mean? Either it’s touched or not, no grey area!!

And where’s the score review after each goal???  Even the 4th umpire was against us!
They review every goal but it if its inconclusive, it stays with the goal umpires call. I suspect that the footage didnt 100% show a finger getting to it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #117
GointoCarlton. Quicker disposal when tackled and numbers around the ball. This is probably a fix that isn’t too difficult to fix. It’s these simple small issues that could change the result of our games in an almost instant. These are the things that don’t show up on stat sheets.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #118
McGovern was quiet but kicked 3.

Marchbank looked like he was building into the season. That was his best game in a Carlton jumper.

Cunningham's best game for the club. When he plays like this we're a 5 goal better team at least. He did have 3 goal assists and kicked 2 himself.

Gibbons was good again with 8 tackles.

Setterfield really looked good. I think we need to trust him with more time in the middle. He's stronger than most of our midfielders - both tackling and getting his arms free once tackled.

Dow took a step forward.

Samo - so so so disappointing. Still a massive gap between his best and worst games. Sidebottom gave him a thrashing in the first half.

Stocker showed why we rated him. He'll get a lot better than this.

Unfortunately the opposition ruckman was the difference again. We couldn't match Grundy's work rate.

Agree on all of that except Dow 's kicking remains his problem area and he probably hasnt come on as quickly as I hoped.
Setterfield and Stocker make us look bigger and stronger, neither are stylists but very solid units who attack the ball well, Stocker isnt a backman IMO but I think
he is getting senior experience vs good players down back and thats important.

Sidebottom is a tough opponent and loves playing us and I thought he lifted for them when it mattered, I wasnt down on SPS as he had a tough gig today,
you just hope he learns from that and can be a bit more damaging the other way.

Been critical of Marchbank but he did play his best game today vs a difficult opponent.

Gibbons is handy and getting better...Cuningham can kick a good goal and gives us some pace.

McGovern converts well but needs to give us a bag of 5 rather than 2-3 goals to win us some games.....

Reply #119
They review every goal but it if its inconclusive, it stays with the goal umpires call. I suspect that the footage didnt 100% show a finger getting to it.

Dunstall saw it once, and called it.

Ball was on its way back to the centre when commentators were looking at it. Why the game wasn't halted to investigate further, i've got no idea. Can it happen? Yes, its happened in one of our games this year already....against us if memory serves correctly. Typical. Get screwed both ways.