Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29879 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #120
Kruddler, we all feel the pain about how the game is run by the umpires. Unfortunately it appears that the players need to find a way of winning without expecting a fair go on the field. Expecting a fair trial is asking too much by the look of things. I know it stinks and I hope the coaching group work on the game plan. They should not let the players think about the umpires. It’s a focus that will never get us results. Work with what we do have control of. Yes again buddy, it does stink.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #121
Dunstall saw it once, and called it.

Ball was on its way back to the centre when commentators were looking at it. Why the game wasn't halted to investigate further, i've got no idea. Can it happen? Yes, its happened in one of our games this year already....against us if memory serves correctly. Typical. Get screwed both ways.
Was he right though? If his eyes are that good, they should offer him a job reviewing goals. If it was touched, they would have called it back.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
Was he right though? If his eyes are that good, they should offer him a job reviewing goals. If it was touched, they would have called it back.

I thought Elliott touched it, Bolton handled the umpiring question well in his presser and chose his worlds well about how tough the job is and how important umpires are
and hopefully the umpires get it right next time its close and remember how kind he was when they know they screwed us over.

Reply #123
I thought Elliott touched it,...

His finger flicks as the ball passes his hand, it's a wonder the video ref didn't pick it up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
I thought Elliott touched it, Bolton handled the umpiring question well in his presser and chose his worlds well about how tough the job is and how important umpires are
and hopefully the umpires get it right next time its close and remember how kind he was when they know they screwed us over.

Correct, it was Elliot who touched it.

...and yes, dunstall was right. Umpires were wrong.....again.

Reply #125
we gave it everything today, spent a heap of petrol... and failed.    I fear nothing left in the tank now.  Here come the smashings.    We don't believe we can win.  All sides know it and all they have to do is turn up the pressure a bit, and we lose.  We are dreadful.   4 from 40 now.

Reply #126
i've had my positive hat on for a very long time now. i'm not taking it off now. 

we have a far better, and more even spread of talent.  We are playing heaps better footy than we have at any stage in the last 5 years, and playing it for longer.

the boys are still learning to play together, and they are building cohesion.

the losses suck.  play with the same spirit and the wins will come. and they will come in a hurry.  this is the only question left remaining for me.  how much spirit does this group have, and how good is BB at fostering it?

the lads are starting to click, but they have to get over the mental hurdle of turning these games into wins. 

i'm staying positive until the end of the year.

Reply #127
i've had my positive hat on for a very long time now. i'm not taking it off now. 

we have a far better, and more even spread of talent.  We are playing heaps better footy than we have at any stage in the last 5 years, and playing it for longer.

the boys are still learning to play together, and they are building cohesion.

the losses suck.  play with the same spirit and the wins will come. and they will come in a hurry.  this is the only question left remaining for me.  how much spirit does this group have, and how good is BB at fostering it?

the lads are starting to click, but they have to get over the mental hurdle of turning these games into wins. 

i'm staying positive until the end of the year.
Well said. How much spirit? Always hard to gauge after a loss. But Im sure they will wake up this morning, to a man, as determined as ever. You are right about building cohesion, but for FFS sake could the injury gods give us a spell a let our blokes play together uninterrupted? Please? Im begging now.
I am gutted with the loss as I am with any loss. But the next day, upon reflection, I see that we took it right up to a side that will probably win the flag this year. All of their lines are top notch. They are, on average, just under 3 years older than us and have 38 games more experience.
Im not making excuses, just saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #128
Grundy is a champ, no doubt. Take a look at the clearances folks. It's a very encouraging result and just one indicator of our progress. Particularly against a premier experienced, strong midfield. One of the reasons Kruez is so important (regardless of hit outs) is his clearance rate. Superior to Grundy. All very encouraging Bluebaggers.

Grundy had a relatively low hitout to advantage percentage (33%).  Kreuzer had 48% and some of his ruckwork was brilliant.

I was wondering whether Kreuzer and Grundy had an agreement whereby they were off the ground together and Casboult and Reid could ruck against each other.  Grundy spent 91% of the game on the ground, Kreuzer was on for 92%.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
The spirit to win was there, but unfortunately in the third you could see some tire. 

I thought a perfect example of the spirit was when 3 went for the ball in the 4th coming into our F50, one was Kruezer - and they spoiled each other. Not great outcome but can’t question that desire.

About the umps, there does seem to be bias towards the team expected to win, and we’re going to get that Every game - once we start winning, those things will come to our favour - just need to get over that line. 

Reply #130
How was that vision of Cripps I think in the fourth, bulling his way through a number of opponents - just willing himself through.  Brilliant.

Reply #131
Cripps was amazing, again. And I'm convinced Kreuzer is our second most important player. We are improving, I have no doubt. Before the season the club said publicly that they expect our improvement to be driven by our 4th year players, and over the 8 rounds so far they are delivering. Weitering is now one of the best key defenders in the game. McKay is taking contested marks and kicking goals. C Curnow turned the corner in the first half yesterday, has been hampered by injury but looks like he's up and running now. Cuningham has improved out of sight, looking like the dangerous goalkicking forward/mid that we desperately need. J Silvagni is now in our best 18, does the team thing every time, works his butt off for 100% of the time, and is kicking goals and creating goals for others. Big tick for all so far in 2019. Interesting that the other player we have from that draft is Matt Kennedy, who is becoming an enigma, seems to be in the best every week for NB, but can't crack a game in the 1's?

Reply #132

Couldn't agree more. Big picture perspective. In fact his entire media conference was classy and real. Good gear.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #133
Ambulance Chasers Barrett, Cornes and Lloyd are having a decent crack us on the Sunday Footy show. Browny backing us in. Cant wait to wipe the smug looks off these kents faces >:(.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #134
Just watched the replay:

Jason Dunstall on Fox Footy after the Crisp goal with 5 mins to go after the 50 meter penalty, regarding Elliot touching the ball “He got a fingertip on that....yep, maybe not enough to turn it over.’

What does that mean? Either it’s touched or not, no grey area!!

And where’s the score review after each goal???  Even the 4th umpire was against us!

Just watched that - looked pretty clear cut to me it was touched....
Finals, then 4 in a row!