Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 39087 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
SpecialK hobbling off had a real effect on our playing group, the change in body language was palpable.

We must find ways to get around this, too much depends on too few.

X2

Reply #31
Can someone explain to me how Nthmond players keep ending up with Cripps collar in their hand, giving him a collar coat hanger half-a-dozen times per game, yet Cripp's is almost never awarded a free kick for a high contact. He walks of the ground with his neck and collarbone covered in scratches, how can that be for a bloke 195cm and go unrewarded!

It seems his collar must just jump down into their hands whenever he gets near!

btw., Four, the number of times Dusty poked a Carlton player in the throat and wasn't penalised! I just don't get it, and now his team-mates are starting to copy him, and getting away with it!

Lastly from me tonight, friendly jumpers, that is what we have. Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Casboult, all fly for marks over Nthmond players and barely make contact. Jones should have hospitalised Cotchin tonight, and Casboult, Marchbank and Plowman all had opportunities to attempt marks with severe aggression and instead floundered looking for a tunnelling free. Sorry, that is not what heavily built marking players are supposed to do, they should remember that in a future game as they feel Franklin or Roughead burying their knees into their kidneys or shoulder blade!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Lang for Thomas/Lamb one obvious change....

Willo for Byrne/Mullett/Weitering...

But overall, losing Kennedy early was a huge blow and one not easy to cover....

Big H should have played and we missed Pickett.

How did Garlett fare?

Byrne had a shocker tonight. Lacked awareness and got caught. They made us pay for that.
I thought Daisy was ok. Lamb ok in patches too, needs to show more consistency for mine.
Garlett was solid for his first game since 2016. Linked up well and positioned himself well without taking too much risk. I'm hoping he'll take the game on a bit more when he's adjusted. 
We lost momentum when Kruez went off. He was in the rooms a long time.

Enjoy the replay fb. My hunch is you'll like what you see  ;D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
The Bad
Byrne was putrid. Zero awareness, gets caught too often and made stupid mistakes, not AFL std I’m afraid. I’d almost say he should never play 1s again.
SOS should plays twos, a witches hat tonight.
Weiters - still a kid but I’m starting to worry a little.

The Good
Charlie-Wow!
Crippa-Ditto
Simmo-Like a Penfolds Grange
Wright’s-Mr Reliable
I wouldn't be quite so negative about Byrne. He is a guy who does have a future. But at the moment he is struggling. He gets caught too often and he dropped marks he normally swallows. He really had a shocker and needs some time in the 2's to:
(a) get his pace back
(b) get some confidence
(c) work on his game awareness
He has the basics, but he needs to put them together, especially his awareness. I'd drop him, but I would not exile him forever.

Jack Silvagni also needs an extended period in the VFL. He played probably his least effective game tonight. He was slow and got run off continually. His chasing was aweful. Absolutely terrible and he didn't appear to have the desperation that is a hallmark of his game. His reaction times were very slow today as well.
He needs some time to work on his pace, which is his biggest weakness. He needs to get his enthusiasm level up. I want to see him flying for the ball, not getting outbodied all of the time. And he needs to work on his reactions. His dad had brilliant reactions and great strength.

Jacod Weitering is another who needs to work on his body work and his pace. He was OK tonight, but he was always trailing his man. He has to get close enough to get a spoil in on the lead, as he is struggling with this aspect.

Liam Jones didn't have a great night either, as the Richmond forwards worked hard to keep him out of the contest, and tunnelled him when he did succeed to go for marks. This was ignored a number of times. He made one very unrealistic attempt, but the rest should have been frees to him and were not.
His effort in the last quarter was nothing short of brilliant.

I would like to bring Alex Silvagni in. He is a player who adds a lot of solidity to our defence. However, he left the ground before half time with an ice pack on his hamstring. That is not good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Fisher was good, some of our more heavily built players should be taking note!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
The gap between our best & worst players tonight was huge......not enough decent performances in the middle of that gap to ever cause an upset.

Pretty well summed up by most, with our outstanding performers clearly standing out for all the right reasons & our worst clearly outstanding out for all the wrong reasons.

So should I mention the elephant in the room & suggest that Jack Silvagni is not good enough....not even close?

Whilst the likes of Byrne & Weitering deservedly copped their right whack, can I also suggest that Plowman isn’t far behind? I’ve never been convinced by him as a player......he’s sloppy, he’s slow, he’s unreliable, he’s a friggin’ worry......

Our forward line was generally a mess & 36 scoring shots against suggest our backline wasn’t much better, so with all that said, I’ll happily take that 26 point loss.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #36
Day 1 of a new game plan against a very formidable opposition. Gold Coast, Collingwood and North would want to be on their games in the next 3 weeks.

Reply #37
Murphy was putrid tonite.. I counted at least 7 missed targets from his disposal.. bloody awful for a captain..

Reply #38

Weitering is another who needs to work on his body work and his pace. He was OK tonight, but he was always trailing his man. He has to get close enough to get a spoil in on the lead, as he is struggling with this aspect.

Weitering lacks pace because he has a poor running action and limited acceleration so he has always been poor and will likely always be poor against a fast leading opponent. His forte is zoning off, reading the play and taking intercept marks but that is not how he is being used. The guys with acceleration and closing speed are Jones and Alex Silvagni.

Reply #39
Fisher was good, some of our more heavily built players should be taking note!

Agreed. Little Zac has shown a very steady rate of improvement. He always looks so focussed. Maybe that's why he's progressed so well. That and his increasing tank. It's likely we have a capable Murphy replacement.
He's becoming one of my favorites. His kicking is superior to many of our seasoned players as is his attack on the ball. Like a Jack Russell Terrier is our Fisher.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #40
When we went two players down we had opportunities for KPPs to hurt opponents in contests and marking contests, teams like the Swans or Dawks wouldn't hesitate to take that opportunity. Think of Sandilands marking anywhere, those big knees take a genuine toll on opponents, Ryder is another! Think of Gibson and Hodge, Franklin, Kennedy, Roughead and Lynch. It's the intimidation factor not just the ability.

Jones, Casboult, Weitering, Machbank, Cripps, Charlie need to use their bulk. Cripps does but after the loss of Kennedy he rarely got to the drop zone. Charlie was under some heat after the first quarter so it's tough when someone is hanging off you 80% of the time, yet he'll get better.

I'm not confident Casboult or Jones will change, they have been that way for a long long time.

Weitering and Marchbank will need to either get hot or find a new role, as good as Marchbank was, can we really afford a 193cm x 90kg player in a Simmo running type role!

If McKay, Kerr, De Koning, Lobbe, Phillips, O'Shea get an opportunity I'm looking for some aggression from them.

Out of our whole club I think it's only Kreuzer, ACoS and Rowe I see truly making use of their bulk.

Of the kids, I've liked glimpses from Macreadie and Williamson, they play a hard brand of football some of the older guys should follow. I think Kerr has it in him, and McKay has shown moments but he needs to put together a lot more of them.

I'm a bit worried some of big blokes want to become the next Tom Lamb, all flair and run but no grunt, but Lamb didn't make the cut and our lot might not as well!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
I'm a little unsure how to access our game to be honest.

We played a better looking brand of footy but still lost and if they kicked straight possibly would have been a smashing YET we were 2 important men down and played last years premiers.
They had a massive number of inside 50s which is not a great sign defensively YET 2 of our forwards kicked 5 goals which hasn't happened in god knows how long.

Next 4 weeks will be a very accurate guide as to how we are progressing - would want to comfortably take the points next week and expect to win MIN of 2 out of the next 3 to convince me all the hype about our development is warranted.

Any less then 3 wins from the first 5 rounds and brace yourself for another long year. 

Reply #42
Everyone is going to bang on about how well we done against last years permiers etc etc.
Well I call bullcrap. We were outscored by 9 goals after the first 10 minutes of the game and if not for our accuracy and Richmond's profligacy we would  in fact lost by over 10 goals.
Weitering is useless, how does a number 1 draft pick defender not know how to actually defend. Kudos to Jones and Marchbank, because they got NO help from Weiters.
In the middle, it looked like Cripps dominated, but getting the ball and quick handballs along the ground that just result in pressure and turnovers.. he is better off just halving the first contest. It reminds me of when we had Carrots getting 40 touches a week. Seriously if Kennedy wasn't injured I would consider not playing him.
We have Charlie and Matty Wright doing the stuff up front, but Jack needs to realise he is not his father's bootlace and he needs to be dropped as well.
Bolton gets points for idiot of the week for putting Kreuzer back on as a statue in a game were we were already worried about their pace and spread at times and he looked horrible in that last quarter, if Bolton cannot get that and get him straight off the ground, then what exactly is he being paid for? To come to the press conference and smile a big grin and tell us how excited he is by the efforts of  Charlie or Marchy.. Yeah we all are Bolts, but how about stop being a cheerleader and start actually fixing the crap on game day that isn't working. Honestly the guy is still absolutely unproven other than he doesn't know how to win games that we have a chance in.
I am a fan of Murphy he has been a stalwart, but his immpact on such a huge game was negligible, if you are on the ground and the game is there to be won Murphy, maybe you need to start looking at how other captains play in these situations. Bystander.
Last of all to our newest 'gun' Paddy WOW...
I think Paddy will be pretty good to be fair, but I am in no mood for finding the positive right now, so I will point out the obvious. He plays like a 17 year old kid. He doesn't get the pace of the game yet, isn't clean enough yet and doesn't have any physicality at all.

Others can be as happy as they want with honourable losses, but screw that. We had less than 50 tackles, less than 50 inside 50s and were flattered on the scoreboard and carried by Charlie, Wright, Simmo. Marchy and a couple of others.

It makes me want to throw up and crap myself at the thought that we should be "happy" with that performance

This surely has to be the WORST comment I have ever read in a post in my 10 years on the site.   I cannot believe someone could post this.  Drop Crippa?  He had 36 possessions, 25 contested?.  Um, seriously some people.

Reply #43
Everyone is going to bang on about how well we done against last years permiers etc etc.
Well I call bullcrap. We were outscored by 9 goals after the first 10 minutes of the game and if not for our accuracy and Richmond's profligacy we would  in fact lost by over 10 goals.
Weitering is useless, how does a number 1 draft pick defender not know how to actually defend. Kudos to Jones and Marchbank, because they got NO help from Weiters.
In the middle, it looked like Cripps dominated, but getting the ball and quick handballs along the ground that just result in pressure and turnovers.. he is better off just halving the first contest. It reminds me of when we had Carrots getting 40 touches a week. Seriously if Kennedy wasn't injured I would consider not playing him.
We have Charlie and Matty Wright doing the stuff up front, but Jack needs to realise he is not his father's bootlace and he needs to be dropped as well.
Bolton gets points for idiot of the week for putting Kreuzer back on as a statue in a game were we were already worried about their pace and spread at times and he looked horrible in that last quarter, if Bolton cannot get that and get him straight off the ground, then what exactly is he being paid for? To come to the press conference and smile a big grin and tell us how excited he is by the efforts of  Charlie or Marchy.. Yeah we all are Bolts, but how about stop being a cheerleader and start actually fixing the crap on game day that isn't working. Honestly the guy is still absolutely unproven other than he doesn't know how to win games that we have a chance in.
I am a fan of Murphy he has been a stalwart, but his immpact on such a huge game was negligible, if you are on the ground and the game is there to be won Murphy, maybe you need to start looking at how other captains play in these situations. Bystander.
Last of all to our newest 'gun' Paddy WOW...
I think Paddy will be pretty good to be fair, but I am in no mood for finding the positive right now, so I will point out the obvious. He plays like a 17 year old kid. He doesn't get the pace of the game yet, isn't clean enough yet and doesn't have any physicality at all.

Others can be as happy as they want with honourable losses, but screw that. We had less than 50 tackles, less than 50 inside 50s and were flattered on the scoreboard and carried by Charlie, Wright, Simmo. Marchy and a couple of others.

It makes me want to throw up and crap myself at the thought that we should be "happy" with that performance

After digestion of this post, if you delete the 'stupid Crippa to be dropped comment', I actually agree with many of your comments.

Reply #44
This surely has to be the WORST comment I have ever read in a post in my 10 years on the site.   I cannot believe someone could post this.  Drop Crippa?  He had 36 possessions, 25 contested?.  Um, seriously some people.

TBH I thought he was having a lend of us?  ???
Reality always wins in the end.