Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 38213 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #90
Neil Craig. Love him or hate him. He had a role that IMO, has left a gap as wide as the Indian Ocean. It's a complex gig and there's something to be said for wisdom and experience.

Good point LN. Forgot about him.

Reply #91
Neil Craig. Love him or hate him. He had a role that IMO, has left a gap as wide as the Indian Ocean. It's a complex gig and there's something to be said for wisdom and experience.

Exactamundo. We've both been mentioning this (BB needing mentor/strategist assistance), and today it became even more apparent.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #92
I know there are many who think he may have gone one season too many....and his skills aren't what they once were....but Kade Simpson stands among a group of players who would give their all for the team and is a credit to the jumper.

Dear lord, what would have today been like if not for Simpson...

Reply #93
Think about it. You lead in the last qtr you've been a very difficult side to beat. Those were some good sides too. You certainly haven't had it easy. That's not rocket science. We haven't been exactly short of running good sides close the last 3 years (oh forgot, they're all in 3rd gear..lol). It's shows a young side has the ability they are just not applying themselves.

I don't tun away saying" ohhhhhh they're all not good", I prefer to find out why they are not performing with the performance and application they're capable off. As far as I'm concerned, while we've had injuries, Bolts isn't doing the job this year. Maybe this wasn't a job for a novice coach, not sure.

Think you are right Jim...having a novice coach run a rebuild makes it harder and the support in the box isnt great either IMO.....when he says the players were slow to respond deflects a bit
from the coaches box IMO.

Reply #94
The term "meaningful depth" has real value.   You can't be competitive  when you don't have 22 AFL standard players in a list of 40 odd.   For example,  as for HBFs, we look strong in this area but in realityf

OShea, Shaw.    List cloggers.
Mullet.   Awful.
Byrne.   Permanently injured.
McDaid.   Injured.   Greener than grass.
Docherty.   Injured.
Simpson.   On his last legs.
Daisy.   Pinch hitting out of necessity.
AcoS.   Injured,  and more a KPD.
Schumacher.  First year player.

So nine rebounding HBFs on list,  most contributing FA to The club on field in 2018.  Over to you SoS....
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #95
I wanted Cerra but they club took Dow.  Haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise.

OBrien really concerns me.   Shouldn't be playing ones and looks timid.   That never augers well.

Paul. Roos hates us.   He'd be drinking a good red after hearing we got flogged.

Cerra is more polished with the football than Dow but you could argue the Freo midfield makes it easier.....Obrien is very outside so he needs a winning inside setup....

Reply #96
Exactamundo. We've both been mentioning this (BB needing mentor/strategist assistance), and today it became even more apparent.

Yes, like a broken record.  ::)
As deflated as I feel today, I do hold some hope for the core talent we've drafted. I've said this before too, but our gap in the list lies in the next age bracket. It consists of players who are depth at best (VFL on any other list), can't dispose effectively, or are injury prone. That is the cohort that buffers the kids while the quality (which we have too few) + elders keep the structure and momentum. The result is we find ourselves "lost" without structure or momentum - posters call this out nearly every game.

Injuries this year have been unlucky. Injury management has been crippling.....

Ironically, Docherty's injury may benefit us next year. He'll be like an old fashioned captain coach. Nonetheless I think our senior coach needs a senior coach. Pronto. That part is probably doable. The tricky part will be upgrading the respected but inadequate cohort.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #97
Dow was supposed to have breakaway pace and be a clearance beast.... When are we going  to see it?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #98
Dow was supposed to have breakaway pace and be a clearance beast.... When are we going  to see it?

A PS or two after his voice breaks ;)
He will be a beauty.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #99
Agree.

Don’t forget the loss of Gibbs too. Yes he never liked the hard ball but no disputing that Gibbs, Murphy and Doc are clean footballers who usually make good decisions and execute it well.

With those 3 out its no wonder we gone backwards this year.

What were we expecting. Who has come in that are in their level? I will tell you. None!

Our senior core remaining are by and large average to poor ball users by foot. Can draft as many first rounders as we like but will stay a bottom team until we replace the bulk of these sorts off our list.

Reply #100

Has the pace, can win his own ball but wont ever be the bash and crash clearance type, we need another bigger mid like a Wines to get the best out of Dow so he can use that pace..

Reply #101
What struck me in all of that is that there is a tangible positive vibe among supporters, despite a woeful on-field performance.  Andy Lee remarked that thought he would be talking to an empty room but the post-game function was packed and members are clearly looking for long term, sustained success and have moved on from the focus on immediate success that got us into the state we’re in.

This made my day DJC, I too was at the game (and stayed the whole game), I still have faith, even after today. After nearly 17 years, I believe we have no choice but stay the path. Cripps and Curnow recommitting made my year.

Reply #102
Rowe isn't a long term prospect and we may as well let him finish his time in the VFL and try and lay some foundations for the future.

Here's one for you; play him forward.

Reply #103
I didn't mean to crap on him but he was well beaten when it counted.
 Fyfe v Cripps was a first quarter KO for the docker.

I am sorry MadBlue but it's worse than that; Dockers vs Blues was a first quarter KO for the Dockers. We were beaten all over the park.

Reply #104
That hurts, especially from Rhys Palmer.

I knew nothing of what happened today until it was over: I was with my daughter at a dancing contest in Kyabram.

We were also at a dancing contest - they won. Seriously have to work on our moves.