Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 40752 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #90
Cmon...Rodgers has one bad test after a string of good ones....he has earned that spot and should keep his place IMO.
The Saffie quicks bowled ok IMO and were let down by their fielders..he got unlucky with that second innings play on yet Warner got dropped three times...thats just luck going one players way and in Rodgers case he had no luck, bit like Smith who middled one through square leg you thought but picked out Doolan who took a great catch in close.

Warner was right the Saffies chucked it in and looked like England in the field....bit of pressure and they folded with only DeVilliers and Steyn playing like the class players they are....
Should be 2-0 after the next test and we only need to beat India to be No 1 in the world IMO.....

Ryan Harris looking a bit tired.....

Mitch Johnson is the No 1 bowler in world cricket...I dont care what the stats/ratings show ie Philander/Styen/Ajmal... he has that title....

Yes, but in  the case of Rogers the decision will be if they want another bowler. if the pitch has some life then he'll play as we may not need another quick. If it's a bit dead then then we may play the other bowler as wickets could be hard work. Won't be a matter of whether Rogers deserves to be dropped, it'll be a matter of whether the selectors think we need a 5th bowler. Rogers doesn't bowl, Watson does. Many aren't getting  that aspect at all. It's a selection i believe that will go either way as often selectors are happy with winning teams. If Watson still can't bowl though then Rogers is a certainty to play in front of him.

Watson recent Test form hasn't been bad either., bat or ball. Led the run scorers in England and made a couple of centuries and a few half centuries,  including a"not out", in his last 7 Tests.

Yes, Johnson is so far the no.1 bowler in world cricket it's not funny. Who'd  have said that 6 months ago.

Reply #91
Graham Smith says it was the pitch and not Mitch Johnson that lost them the game...now I might be biased being an Aussie but thats the biggest load of crape from Smith who needs to have a good long look at himself and admit his No 1 team were outplayed and well beat by a better Australian team and his personal contribution wasnt good enough as well as his poor decision to bowl first.

I guess the ball will be the problem in the next test...we got the shiny hard ball and they will have been issued with the dull, soft one.....

Reply #92
Graham Smith says it was the pitch and not Mitch Johnson that lost them the game...now I might be biased being an Aussie but thats the biggest load of crape from Smith who needs to have a good long look at himself and admit his No 1 team were outplayed and well beat by a better Australian team and his personal contribution wasnt good enough as well as his poor decision to bowl first.

I guess the ball will be the problem in the next test...we got the shiny hard ball and they will have been issued with the dull, soft one.....

Obviously Australia batted on 'the other pitch'!  Tosser.

Reply #93

Unless I'm mistaken I believe we batted on the same pitch as the Saffers!  ::)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #94
Snap Townsend.  ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #95
I couldn't believe my ears when Smith came out with that garbage.

With that attitude, they may as well not turn up for the second Test.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
Anybody seen a better 6 tests by any Australian bowler ever ?

Not me. The joy I get from watching the Poms and now the Yarpies crap their pants is the best  I've ever felt.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #97
I wish to offer an unreserved apology to Mitchell Johnson, whom I bagged mercilessly owing to frustration at his inconsistency.

Absolute highest respect for a bloke who late in his career went away, worked on his game, came back and got it right and delivered on his ability.  People who come out in top after getting there the hard way deserve nothing other than the utmost respect and kudos.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #98
Wonder if the future thinking will be to drop Rogers and play Watson in his perferred opening slot...  considering how tidy Doolan looked and his quality fielding... pity he doesn't bowl.  Would be most annoyed to see a form player dropped to rush Watson back if Watson is unable to bowl.

BTW guys, I was less impressed by the rest of the bowling and we can't afford to just be the Mitch Johnson show- they all have to contribute.  Methinks that they should be better for the run, I suspect that the washed out game was less than ideal for the likes of Harris etc.

The other thing is that the Saffies tend to be very poor starters in test series... whether they don't rate the opposition, don't play enough lead in games, take some time to get going or simply prepare poorly I don't know but don't be surprised if they pick a better balanced side and play way better in the second test.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #99

Now.....who won the toss again...I forget ?

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #100
Hope Rogers stays in.
He so proved himself in Austalia.
Pity Shane cannot be fitted into the team, he is a useful bowler.
Johnson was just so good. The Poms absolutely crashed, I wonder if Smith and Coy can rise again.
Boof is a magnificent difference to a team that was under-performing

Reply #101
Wonder if the future thinking will be to drop Rogers and play Watson in his perferred opening slot...  considering how tidy Doolan looked and his quality fielding... pity he doesn't bowl.  Would be most annoyed to see a form player dropped to rush Watson back if Watson is unable to bowl.

BTW guys, I was less impressed by the rest of the bowling and we can't afford to just be the Mitch Johnson show- they all have to contribute.  Methinks that they should be better for the run, I suspect that the washed out game was less than ideal for the likes of Harris etc.

The other thing is that the Saffies tend to be very poor starters in test series... whether they don't rate the opposition, don't play enough lead in games, take some time to get going or simply prepare poorly I don't know but don't be surprised if they pick a better balanced side and play way better in the second test.

Saffies so stuffed up by playing McLaren at No 7..he is a handy batter in one day cricket at best but just another bowler who bats a bit at test level....I'd expect them to go back to a batsman and drop Faf down the order where he should have been played. Their other choice was Parnell who is a left handed version of McLaren....as Dr Phil would say" what were you thinking' when they picked that team
Lehmann is smart enough to send out balanced teams and its an area we beat England in as well who never seemed to have a settled lineup.

The loss of Kallis has been vital IMO...you just dont get batters of the quality of Kallis who are also decent frontline bowlers as well coming along every day....you might get one every ten years.

Reply #102
Pity Shane cannot be fitted into the team, he is a useful bowler.

When fit - which is very seldom.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
Watson needs a session in our "whiz bang movement analysis gizmo" (aka motion lab) to sort out why he is so susceptible to injury.

Our team is much better balanced with Watson coming in anywhere between 1st and 4th drop and giving the quick bowlers a spell or two.  However, I'm not sure he is worthy of a spot in the team if he is not fit enough to bowl a reasonable spell.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #104
I'd be surprised if Watson ever made it back to open.

Seems clear the team is looking for a guy who can hang around while Warner knocks them around.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................