Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview) (Read 92572 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview)

Reply #195
I want our boys to believe.
I want them to believe that they could be good enough.
I want them to believe that they will go out there and actually compete hard.
I want them to believe that they can win.
I want them to believe, that they could conceivably go out there and win the rest of their games, and win a forking flag.
It's 21 vs 21 with a sub each.  A bit of luck and we can win most weeks provided the team plays with the requisite ability to hit targets, and play football for each other.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #196
On the other hand what do we have to lose by seeing this season out with Mick.

I read the rest of your post mate but this comment stood out. What we have to lose is getting 15+ games into blokes like Watson and Graham and any other kid we have on the list, because Mick doesn't want to play them.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #197
Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Kristian Jaksch, Sam Rowe.
HB: Andrejs Everitt, Kade Simpson, Andrew Walker.
C: Sam Docherty, Chris Judd, Tom Bell.
HF: Dale Thomas, Levi Casboult, Dennis Armfield.
F: Bryce Gibbs, Liam Jones, Blaine Boekhorst.
Foll: Cameron Wood, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy.
I/C: Dylan Buckley, Ed Curnow, David Ellard, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel, Robert Warnock, Mark Whiley (Three to be omitted).

If all fit I'd be cutting from that extended bench - Curnow, Ellard and Warnock. Play the younger blokes for while now IMHO!

Reply #198
I read the rest of your post mate but this comment stood out. What we have to lose is getting 15+ games into blokes like Watson and Graham and any other kid we have on the list, because Mick doesn't want to play them.

Possibly
But there's no guarantee a new coach would play them either.
It has to be a balance between the harm of a mid-season change that really doesn't address the major issues at the club and the damage that can be done  by not doing anything in the short term.

If we have an interim coach who actually gets an improvement out of the side it lets other folk off the hook.
It sets that coach up to take over without due process again....and the circle continues.

We need to break that in a dramatic fashion.
Just replacing the coach now won't accomplish that.
Been there, done that.

Reply #199
Carlton

I/C: Dylan Buckley, Ed Curnow, David Ellard, Nick Graham, Troy Menzel, Robert Warnock, Mark Whiley (Three to be omitted).

If all fit I'd be cutting from that extended bench - Curnow, Ellard and Warnock. Play the younger blokes for while now IMHO!

x2

Reply #202
Possibly
But there's no guarantee a new coach would play them either.
It has to be a balance between the harm of a mid-season change that really doesn't address the major issues at the club and the damage that can be done  by not doing anything in the short term.

If we have an interim coach who actually gets an improvement out of the side it lets other folk off the hook.
It sets that coach up to take over without due process again....and the circle continues.

We need to break that in a dramatic fashion.
Just replacing the coach now won't accomplish that.
Been there, done that.

Even more importantly, why are they not playing?

We can say its a personality thing, but it might have more to do with other reasons than we are not privy to.

We appoint a different coach, he plays them ignoring those defects, and the "line in the sand" of acceptibility we have drawn needs to be re-drawn also, except next time it might be a Patrick Cripps thats annoyed, and off he goes at the end of his contract.

There is more than just the here and now at stake and the next 15 games, the club is at a real tipping point and needs to get serious, a little bit like the response I have seen regarding what I state above about belief.

The core of that post, was with the club already pulling up stumps on 2015, how can the players be expected not to?  Then we have a coach dead man walking.  This season is panning out with some people's desired results, which is fine, but the how it unfolds is very worrying.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #203
Carlton

Finalised In Thomas Graham Casboult Out Henderson Warnock Ellard

Reply #204
The fact that Warnock is out just confirms the stuff last week at the selection table re he & Casboult . Can't believe they bought Warnock in, shaking my head. That's twice a simple decision by the MC has put us behind before the first bounce

Reply #205
Daisy sub you'd think. If he plays

Reply #206

What side have you been watching week in week out?

Debutants for carlton this year.
Jones
Tutt
Wiley
Jaksch
Smith
Boekhurst
Byrne

Other kids who have got games include...
Cripps
Buckley
Menzel

It is only round 5, but Mick 'doesn't play the kids'.

Reply #207
I'm talking about blokes like Ellard, Army and Rowe playing ahead of Graham and Watto. I've been pretty clear about that. Tutt and Jones are certainly not kids.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #208
Good changes, make sense. Fine that Graham gets an opportunity and may he make the most of it. Good to see Whiley get another crack. It shows that he is being backed and having a chance to go again. Good selection.

More broadly, the playing of all the youngsters, ready or not would be destructive. We should be trying to win every game by putting the best team on the field every week. Players should be dropped for reasons they can understand, and then only elevated when they have demonstrated that they have addressed the previous identified deficiencies. To give a player a go without meeting these requirements sets low expectations and double standards.

Anything other than this basic principle is folly. This is why picking Watson for example does not stack up. He has not demonstrated in the VFL the requirements to be elevated.

Carlton have been confused about this for years. It goes as far back as Gibbs and Murphy playing senior footy right away in their first year. We were terrible then, and it made sense for them to play. But longer term it has had a negative effect, in that it set low expectations for selection. Gibbs being annointed part of the leadership group in his first year heightened the entitlement.

Pick the best team each week. As you would if you were competing for a premiership.

Reply #209
We finally dropped Ellard, thank heavens.
I would have preferred Menzel to Graham for his scoring ability but Graham played well in the VFL so it's fair enough he gets a game, we should win this one comfortably.
It looks like Warnock is done and dusted if he can't force Wood out of the side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.