Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary (Read 39768 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary

Reply #90

But I can point to the scoreboard!

Elimination Final wins don't do it for me, Malthouse is already one from one on that scoreboard.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #91

we looked very slow across the ground today, surely in future we shouldnt play mclean, curnow and carazzo in the same game

Reply #92
If MM isn't contracted to coach next year I'd like to know why he should automatically get an extension because we have had 4 defeats this season as bad as any since 2000.  I'd like to see him present something tangible before he gets another year because to be quite honest I reckon half this site could oversee a rebuild and win say 4 games... why do we need to pay some plunker on  $1 000 000 for the privilege?  I rather put that money into poaching a real list manager and a setting up a fair dinkum development academy.  That's at least 50% of the problem right there.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #93
But we will smurfy because Mick won't drop any of those three and there is no pace in the two's with Bucks injured. The only outside run is Lucas and well, we've seen enough there haven't we?

Face it, our list structure is screwing diabolical.  No young rucks, no pacy mids, no young KP players. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #94

But I can point to the scoreboard!

Elimination Final wins don't do it for me, Malthouse is already one from one on that scoreboard.

Better than nothing, which is what we usually get.

If you want to compare coaching performances who since 2001 has the best record by far at this club.

Reply #95
Paul Roos has his teams supporters having faith in the squad and the side looks a chance to win each and every game they play. We on the other hand see another loss before the first bounce of the ball, and the faith gets worse each and every quarter of the game. Losing to Collingwood to be 4 and 10 will be some real pain for us here, but to lose to St Kilda the following week to be 4 and 11 will be a complete train wreck. We will have lost to every side under us on the ladder by then, by the look of things. WTF is going on with this club ???
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #96
Can anyone highlight what improvements Mick has engineered? The list is the list. Yes. But is there anyone he has generally improved - either by coaching them to be better / smarter players or by positional changes?

Looking at Roos as an example, he has been able to directly influence improvement in the likes of Watts, Dunn and Frawley simply by changing them positionally. And he's been able to improve them as a team, despite losing key personnel up forward. Some hate his style because it's boring and ugly. But I would much rather be tougher to score against and win ugly than to constantly bleed goals in 'honourable' losses.

I just don't get what Mick is trying to implement. And I don't think the players do either.

Casboult has been a huge improver under Malthouse. Given him the confidence to feel like he actually belongs.
Both Menzel and Buckley are clear improvers.
The obvious positional change improvement has to be Rowe. Was a key forward/part time ruck who is now a full time defender.
Yarran whilst still has some work to do, is playing the best footy of his career.

They are the obvious standouts.
Others you could mount a reasonable case for would be White, Robinson, Curnow and Ellard.

Personally i don't think the players are willing to commit 100% effort 100% of the time. When they commit, they look a million bucks. When they don't they lose to Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne.

Reply #97

we looked very slow across the ground today, surely in future we shouldnt play mclean, curnow and carazzo in the same game

We should have stopped playing McLean when it was apparent  that finals were out of the equation.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #98

Personally i don't think the players are willing to commit 100% effort 100% of the time. When they commit, they look a million bucks. When they don't they lose to Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne.

The rest of the competition doesn't stand still and wait for Carlton to catch up, the only way to climb the mountain is by sheer hard work.
We've had more bad games than good this season but we lost two of our best five players for long periods and today we lost our best before the first bounce, if Murphy played today we win and the mood wouldn't be so sour.
It sucks to be looking towards next year so early in the season but that's the reality, we can only trust that Malthouse is the man to put together a team that can compete with the best and show them how to win.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #99

If you want to compare coaching performances who since 2001 has the best record by far at this club.

To be honest I don't want to compare coaching performances for the worst ten years in our club's history, I'd rather put those years behind us.

Reply #100
Tanking.

As emtwenty  points out elsewhere Judd was rotated off the ground with  2 mins to go and didnt come back.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #101
Our skills by both hand and foot are simply awful.
We get killed from our turnovers week in week out.

Reply #102
Poor kicking is poor football, 4 set shots in the 2nd qtr for a net result of 3 points. We only needed 2 of those to be goals for the win !!

Apply the same logic equally to both sides and they still would have beaten us. They were more inaccurate than we were.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #103

To be honest I don't want to compare coaching performances for the worst ten years in our club's history, I'd rather put those years behind us.
Think we all agree on that.

Reply #104
Tanking.

As emtwenty  points out elsewhere Judd was rotated off the ground with  2 mins to go and didnt come back.

I admit I was surprised to see Yarran and Menzel sitting down with a few minutes to go, probably two of the few players we've got who could kick a couple of goals in a hurry.
But do I think we're tanking? - no.