Skip to main content
Topic: R23 - Carlton v Essendon (Before & During The Game) (Read 35472 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon (Before the Game Bash-up)

Reply #45
Odds on that there will be changes to both teams before the first bounce

Reply #46
I'll be rocking up but I can't see a win here, Essendon looks too slick across most of the ground, Bellchambers and Ryder V Wood and Casboult is no contest.
Armfield is shot, no idea why they picked him, he hasn't played a decent senior game all season.
Would have liked to see Cripps get a gig, named as emergency so maybe.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
OMG how does Graham get dropped for Brock and Armfield. A perfect opportunity to get another game into young Nick and Mick plays the tossa as per usual. Sure Graham was not much chop last week but who as? Disgraceful decision.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #48
OMG how does Graham get dropped for Brock and Armfield. A perfect opportunity to get another game into young Nick and Mick plays the tossa as per usual. Sure Graham was not much chop last week but who as? Disgraceful decision.

Puzzling to me too, I think we should have stuck with Graham for this one. Smacks of a very conservative approach to shore things up for the year rather than looking to the future.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49

Totally agree and you can add Holman and Johnson to that list as well...these kids are the future of the club and we have to invest in them....
Brock and Armfield will be playing NB's next year and I reckon Watson is getting the display case game in case another team is stupid enough to make an offer for him during the trade period..

Reply #50

Totally agree and you can add Holman and Johnson to that list as well...these kids are the future of the club and we have to invest in them....
Brock and Armfield will be playing NB's next year and I reckon Watson is getting the display case game in case another team is stupid enough to make an offer for him during the trade period..
x2 ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #51
Are you guys for real ? Should we be just be gifting games to players just because they re kids ?
All 3 have of the outs had a taste of senior footy... have seen what standard is required, and haven't been up to it (Hollman was like a dear in headlights). They now know how hard they have to work in the pre season to get to AFL standard.
I'm ok with the changes, Id like our last game of the year to be a competitive effort rather then yet another blow out as it probably would ve been if we d gone with the kids again like last week.
Letting the season just burn out with uncompetitive efforts like we used to in the Pagan years (and like Melbourne are doing now) serves no purpose.

He's been given a fair run starting on the ground in the last month or so, and hasn't really shown much.

Reply #52
1 game in the seniors is going to teach them more than 20 games running around in the 2s against guys who are not up to it and  trying to understand WTF Webster is on about.

The give them a taste approach I think is good when you have a strong team and Alan Richardson in charge of development. Not when you need to develop that core of players. They need time together.

Reply #53
Are you guys for real ? Should we be just be gifting games to players just because they re kids ?

Agreed, when you stop picking teams to win games you may as well run up the white flag, tanking is for other clubs.
The three that got dropped were all poor last week, if they had some good form in the bank they might have hung on but they didn't.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #54
All 3 have of the outs had a taste of senior footy... have seen what standard is required, and haven't been up to it (Hollman was like a dear in headlights). They now know how hard they have to work in the pre season to get to AFL standard.
I'm ok with the changes, Id like our last game of the year to be a competitive effort rather then yet another blow out as it probably would ve been if we d gone with the kids again like last week.
Letting the season just burn out with uncompetitive efforts like we used to in the Pagan years (and like Melbourne are doing now) serves no purpose.

He's been given a fair run starting on the ground in the last month or so, and hasn't really shown much.

Absolute BS Dom he has shown plenty.

Re your comments above, our non competitive effort last week was down to the senior blokes, not Nick Graham or any of the others mentioned. How do you think a first gamer is going to go on a bloke like Robbie Gray? Just dumb coaching to hang the poor kid out to dry by Mick, to his credit Holman fought back well.

If you can't see the benefit in giving another game to Graham who has shown a lot more than the other two I give up, it seems you are just not willing to concede Malhthouse could make a wrong decision....ever.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55

Agreed, when you stop picking teams to win games you may as well run up the white flag, tanking is for other clubs.
The three that got dropped were all poor last week, if they had some good form in the bank they might have hung on but they didn't.

Why have any kids on the list then? Swap them out for players in their late 20s who are going to perform better in the short term.

Reply #56
I touched on this in a past post - Carlton's recruiting and development has been so woeful we need to face facts and admit where we are at. Right now this club cannot draft and develop players to the standard required. If we cannot trust ourselves to draft and develop then it leaves only one option and that is to trade.

We will have to pay overs but at least we are somewhat guaranteed of what we're getting. If our research reveals that Tom Boyd is the chosen one then we pay overs to get him and say oh well that's what it costs. I am not saying this is a desirable outcome for our club but this is where we are at. In this case we don't play 'the kids' unless they are hand selected trades (buy ins) that we believe are going to be in our next premiership quest. The Docherty situation was one were we obtained I think value for a long term solution but in the case of your elite players you have to pay.

Judd cost us but was he worth it? I think yes and if we can find a KPP that is this decades 'Judd' we pay again. Yes it is a sad indictment on the clubs recruiting but how much of this is culture where we have always gone out and got the best as needed? If we adopt the philosophy then we don't have many kids to play but rather ready recruits who can or should be able to play today.

Reply #57

Why have any kids on the list then? Swap them out for players in their late 20s who are going to perform better in the short term.

There's a big difference between having a lot of kids on the list and having kids on the list who will develop into AFL footballers.
If kids are showing plenty in the VFL and take their chance when given a go at senior level then they will stay in the senior team, which is why Sheehan is still in the side.
Holman showed squat, Johnson played a reasonable game against the wooden spooners but has shown nothing since, Graham has shown a bit but not enough.
There are more players who play less than 50 games than more.

Reply #58

You're contradicting yourself B4L. No way Armfield has shown more than Graham, he was hopeless when he came on as sub vs the Cats. Gave us zilch.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #59
You can't b!tch about him not playing the kids and then b!tch about losing by 100 points when he does.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!