Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 61282 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #45
Swans didn't have it all their own way in the first half.

Hit the post a few times we could have easily been a goal or two  down at half time instead of 38.

We then only got beaten by a goal in the third.

Last was a struggle but they are a battle hardened team full of stars.

Not to bad .

I will be sleeping a lot better than Melbourne and Richmond supporters tonight.

Reply #46
Skill difference between the teams is noticeable but not as much as I thought after just watching the game.
Yeah it was a 10 goal difference but we skillfully hit the post 4 or 5 times and kicked it straight to them MANY times. Tidy just that part of the game up we probably wouldve still lost but not by much,
Kerridge, Bl**dy Kerridge, the new young Carazzo. Our new turn over king, yes he gets the ball but he can't kick. His decision making is WOEFUL.
Simmo must have had his wrong contacts in today.
TOOOO many times they had an overlap and way too many free players along the wing and in their forward line. It looked like our players were playing off them filling a gap but it allowed them way too easy ball movement. NEED TO FIX THIS. What happened to man on man when the oppo has the ball.

We must stop kicking to our forwards HEADS and kick it to advantage. We did it a few times and when Cas came charging out in the last and marked it I had flashbacks of Fev. We can do it.

I did like the fact that when one player was pushed or man handled off the ball another two came in to protect. The melee at half time was good to see.

We get it in our forward 50 a zillion times for a few shots on goal that we don't convert, THIS must have a sapping effect on ALL players.

Some green shoots...how GOOD is that 2 gamer kid. Crikey is he really that good?
Charlie will be heaps better for the run and I loved how BB put the two young'uns in the forward line together.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #47
Oh well, we didn't get the chocolates tonight but I saw some glimpses of what Charlie Curnow could be for us one day. We could have got a lot closer but for some poor kicking at and around the goals. Swans were just too good in close and they gave it off much more cleanly. Some poor umpiring decisions and non-decisions let the Swans off the hook in the second.

Reply #48
Cripps seemed to lack a bit of energy... well down on his standard and only got going in the 2nd half. Murphy also quiet.  Not a lot of impact from our midfielders.

Swans had 60 more possessions, 25 more inside 50's and smashed us in the centre clearances...  just didn't get our hands on it enough. We had some patches where we were competitive, but  Sydney are bloody impressive.

It was good to see Weitering for the first time, just looks like a really good, smart footballer, his kicking really stood out.  Curnow did OK for his first game, settled as the game went on. 

Reply #49
Papley was a good pick up.  Still, it's probably easier when you come into a very strong and hard midfield.

The Swans had obviously put a lot of work into nullifying Cripps.  He will have to work on his bag of tricks to prevent other sides shutting him down.
It was inevitable that someone would do their homework: he was too good last year to ignore. And he will get better, even if he won't get a lot quicker.

However, of all the things we have done to alter our game plan, the least effective thing appears to be our midfield. We set up in a way that doesn't close other teams down but is ultra attacking. Now that works fine if your ruckmen get a lot of taps and direct them to quality mids. It doesn't work when we lose the taps, or can't direct them.
But, one thing in its favour, it is very direct when we actually get the clearance.

Our ruck division is REALLY in need of some work.
Kreuzer has been ordinary to poor. He has barely taken a mark in any of the games so far. He hasn't been a dominating presence in the middle and he has not done well in the taps. His commitment and 2nd efforts are 2nd to none, but it is the marking around the ground and the getting of good taps that makes a champion ruckman.
Phillips is promising. He needs to develop his body a bit more yet, but he can take a mark. He needs to work on his positioning, especially around the ground. His leap in the middle is impressive. He can't have had a good night tonight, but it will be a couple of years before he is at his best.
Gorringe is a speculative pick: he has a heap of potential, but has questions about his intensity and the position he will eventually play. If we get anything out of him, then we have done well.
Korchek is another who is some way off but who has the potential to be impressive. He has played maybe 2 games of footy so far and been bad. But it will take a couple of years before he is ready.
Wood: well, we already know his strengths and weaknesses. I think he will get games this year as the other go up and down. H has already done more and better than I expected, but he is just not a premiership ruckman (except possibly for the Baby Blues).
We also have Casboult and Rowe who can do some ruck work and Aurecchio (spelling is probably wrong - I apologize) around the edges. I am not expecting big things from him, but he is better than many of the failed ruckmen we have trialled this century.

Until we find or develop a top class ruckman we are not to succeed. Have a look at the effect a guy like NicNat or Goldstein has on a team and you see our weakness. Even Hawthorn's ruck, relative no names as they are, do enough to nullify their 'betters' and they tap the ball to exactly where their mids are waiting for it. Notice how more effective they were today with Ceglar in: he isn't a superstar, but he does what he needs to do.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #50
We're on the same page, EB1. Like many I saw Everitt take short steps and fail to put his body on the line on more than one occasion this evening... not only does that betray the team ethic but it can only demoralise team mates. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the heat is on Everitt goes missing. He's a kind of luxury player, the bloke who you'd park up forward when you've got 21 other blokes who are fair dinkum.

We've now got the worst ever CFC forward line and probably the worst forward line in the AFL at present, particularly in relation to tall forwards. Personally, I'd replace Everitt up forward with White and have Byrne take White's place down back.

As unpopular as this opinion is, Meat is not a key forward.

Like I said, Casboult''s a forward/ruck, not necessarily a key forward per se. There you get the best out of him and what got the attention of other clubs last year. Work for me as the rest of our rucks, outside of Kreuzer of course, aren't real good.

I'd replace Everitt with Jaksch. Walker will come back in too. After the VFL yesterday look forward to Plowman and Sumner getting fit too, as well as Byrne coming in.

Was happy to give Everitt a go this week after a very good year last year but he's way off so far this year. let him find form in the twos. He kicked 31 goals last year so hopefully he can go back to the NBs and fins that form. Problem is, depsite Henderson's putrid form last year, Casboult and Everitt were 2nd and 3rd bananas up forward, which suited them. This year they are 1st and 2nd, which is alot more difficult for them. Casboult is at least taking marks and getting shots at goal but finding it tougher than last year. Everitt looks lost.

Reply #51
I'm done with Everitt.  Had 7 possessions for the game and at no point put in an effort.  When most of the blokes rate trying, his work rate is a disgrace.  Needs to be sent to the Magoos for an extended period.  And if he cracks the sads he can leave.  No loss.

Sydney's ball movement was superb.  Even when we put pressure on, their ability to hit a target was awesome.  All we did was turn the ball over, even when there was no pressure.  I like Nicky G, but hard to defend when he slaughtered us more than once.  He wasn't on his own though.  Simmo, Gibbs etc.

Like Matt Wright's game and Kerro is proving to be a great pickup.  Best game by Dale Thomas in a Blues jumper, a guy who never gave up.  Gibbs remains soft as jelly.

Rowe is OK if it's one on one, but there were times when the ball was in transition when he looked lost.  As a result there were too many times when one of our smells had to match up on a tall.

Charlie C was all at sea for the first half, but really worked into the game in the second half.  Good on him.  Definitely play him next week.

It was hard to watch at times.  The skills errors murdered us.  But, I trust BB.

Anyway, I'd drop AE and Lamb and replace them with Walker (who I assume will be back) and Buckley.  Personally I'd also replace White with Byrne.  White wasn't awful, but he's not the future for this club.

Reply #52
Listened to the third quarter on the way home from a weekend market and then watched the last at home.

Wasn't expecting a win and didn't get one, this could of been a massive smacking had they just thrown in the towel but what I saw was a team still trying when they were completely outclassed and seemingly out on their legs.

Last week, the Swans made the Pies look like a VFL team whacking them by 80-points, they only squeaked past us by 60 today, there's something to be proud of.

Another thing dawned on me today, I rec'd a text to tell me that Casboult had marked and goaled within the first few minutes of the match. I then saw Casboult mark strongly and then kick truly in the last when the result of the game was beyond doubt.

We all know that Casboult has some serious issues with his kicking technique but the added issue for him is between his ears. Both goals he kicked were when there was no pressure on him, he didn't have to think too much and it all happened. Can this be fixed ?? I honestly don't know but fear that it can't.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #53
There is a very very simple fix for SpecialK's poor ruck form.

Carlton, please stop trying to make him into a forward! ;)

Carlton, please stop trying to fix the bad things, by breaking the good things! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Listened to the third quarter on the way home from a weekend market and then watched the last at home.

Wasn't expecting a win and didn't get one, this could of been a massive smacking had they just thrown in the towel but what I saw was a team still trying when they were completely outclassed and seemingly out on their legs.

Last week, the Swans made the Pies look like a VFL team whacking them by 80-points, they only squeaked past us by 60 today, there's something to be proud of.

Another thing dawned on me today, I rec'd a text to tell me that Casboult had marked and goaled within the first few minutes of the match. I then saw Casboult mark strongly and then kick truly in the last when the result of the game was beyond doubt.

We all know that Casboult has some serious issues with his kicking technique but the added issue for him is between his ears. Both goals he kicked were when there was no pressure on him, he didn't have to think too much and it all happened. Can this be fixed ?? I honestly don't know but fear that it can't.

Actually, on that last bit, an old Dandenong Stingrays teammate said at u/18 level he had the same bad ball drop but rarely missed. It was then suggested that much of the problem was between the ears.

Reply #55
Best game by Dale Thomas in a Blues jumper, a guy who never gave up.
26 disposals and 8 tackles, solid. needs to bring that every week and some. Would really like to see him hit the scoreboard.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #56
Has their ever been a ruck duo who had so much impact on the game and their opposing ruck duo so little? Friggin useless the pair of them.

Nice occasion for Tuohy to play his worst ever game and that skirmish which he needlessly and single-handedly started at half time was beyond ridiculous. Buddy did next to nothing and Tuohy's overreaction was embarrassing.

Everitt....no thanks, not for me, Lamb was disappointing and as others have said, really thankful for the 2 ex-Crows.

Yep, 10 goals is adout size of the gulf between us right now, but really happy we didn't totally capitulate, when we could've easily done so.

*sigh*.....today simply confirmed that it's gonna be one long year, I was hoping that wasn't gonna be the after last week.....not anymore.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #57
Don't forget we played a team that has been around the mark for a few seasons, still going very strong, and look like flag favorites at the moment. We won't play a better team this year.

What I want to see for the entire season is real 4 quarter efforts, from everyone, not from 50% of the team, not from 90% of the team, from everyone. And no dropping heads when things aren't going well, and no giving up. And no bitching and sniping between team mates.

Reply #58
Has our culture, the fibre of the CFC been so eroded by consistent failure over the past 15 years that we now find positives in a 10 goal loss!!!

Have we supporters become so accustomed to failure that we are placated by, appeased by and even moderately happy with 'honourable losses'? Because that's what's occurring.

Today we lost by 10 goals and that’s absolutely unacceptable.

Our forwards without the help of our mids, were limp – please, no more excuses about delivery. Our tall forwards are limp.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
Up against an A team today. I thought we did OK, a 60 pt loss is better than an 80 pt loss right. Fabulous lesson for the youngsters early in the season, should give them the feel for what it takes to mix it with genuine contenders. Sydney's youngsters were as impressive as their seasoned stars.

I liked what I saw of Daisy's return. Once he warmed up he didn't say die. Loved him out marking Buddy. If he can be consistent and stay on the park, he'll fuel the development of the baby blues. Cripps got the attention we expected, shame he didn't have more support in the middle, or from the ruck for that matter. Ruck is a real issue, although I think Phillips might be OK in time if he can bulk up. In the meantime????

It was a tough gig in defense today but I thought Rowe, Doc, and Whiite did OK. Jamo looked cooked and it was one of those rarities when Simmo was behind the eight ball.  Weitering will be a superstar.

Good for young Charlie kicking a nice goal on debut. He'll benefit from the quality he was amongst and can only improve. Ed was his consistent self, unlike too many of his senior counterparts. I thought Wright and Kerridge held their own, for the most part. Levi's success in front of goals will hopefully build his confidence.

Although our 100gamer didn't star, I loved the 'what the hell' he gave Buddy. Stirred up a great little passion builder before the break.

We've got a long way to go - but we know that. It'll take time and some new faces. We had a crack today and I saw some green shoots.
Bring in the likes of Plowman, some luck with injury and we'll see some wins
 ;D Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.