Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 35573 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #90
I expected to be 6-6, i thought we would drop 1 out of Brisbane and St Kilda. Saints were good yesterday, strangled our space and waited for us to inevitably turn it over. We had no flow ...

This is what perplexed me the most - our patience in switching it until we could push through any zone or flood has been very good these last few months and suddenly it all seemed to fall in a heap for some reason.

I agree someone like Armfield should have run with Steven but he looked to be limping by half time anyway.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #91
This is what perplexed me the most - our patience in switching it until we could push through any zone or flood has been very good these last few months and suddenly it all seemed to fall in a heap for some reason.

I agree someone like Armfield should have run with Steven but he looked to be limping by half time anyway.

Do you think we can make plans and implement them in the complete absence of countermeasures from the opposition?

Our wins are more about the coach than the playing list, a coach who builds plans based on his knowledge of the opponents.

Fans credit the players too much when we win, and blame the coach too much when we lose! But know this, our wins wont be so easy 2nd time around as clubs have seen what we do.

St Kilda was always a danger game because like us they are a club full of new faces and new plans that most opponents have not experienced yet. Our apparent lack of effectiveness against them was due to our coaching panels lack of exposure to St Kilda, we will be better next time.

Be happy that we have a coach who adjusts to the opponent and not a coach who copies out the default game plan like a Xerox machine!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
I expected to be 6-6, i thought we would drop 1 out of Brisbane and St Kilda. Saints were good yesterday, strangled our space and waited for us to inevitably turn it over. We had no flow and guys i think have been reading the Press to much.

I actually have no problems with this loss and got on with life fairly quickly.

I think we need some help in the middle. Our midfield is basically:
Curnow, Cripps, Gibbs and Kerridge. Thomas as well. Sumner gives us little around teh contest, Lamb is raw (very pleased with him overall), Doc and Simmo to valuable down back.
Not a lot in the Ressies either, with Graham, Whiley and Tutt, but would not be adverse in bringing those guys in.

This is what annoyed me the most:

This was the 6th time Jack Steven received the ball from the Centre Clearance... in the exact same spot... In the 3rd quarter alone. Re-Watch the 3rd and watch where he receives the ball everytime. No effort to have athe sweeper, to block his run, to come off the wing.... Clearance, Mark, Goal...Repeat.

Said the same thing...we setup in the middle like we were winning the tapouts...Steven just ran onto Hickeys tapouts with no one in front of him......
I would have had Sumner on Steven..not Curnow ...was poor coaching and planning...

Reply #93
Said the same thing...we setup in the middle like we were winning the tapouts...Steven just ran onto Hickeys tapouts with no one in front of him......
I would have had Sumner on Steven..not Curnow ...was poor coaching and planning...

And we set up exactly the same way against the Kangaroos, when we pretty much had no ruckman.

As I said then & keep saying after yesterday, it's an issue the coaching group just can't seem to grasp or be able to develop a tactic to counter.......for mine, it's our one major flaw at the moment.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #94
And we set up exactly the same way against the Kangaroos, when we pretty much had no ruckman.

As I said then & keep saying after yesterday, it's an issue the coaching group just can't seem to grasp or be able to develop a tactic to counter.......for mine, it's our one major flaw at the moment.

I thought that it was a bit of a rookie mistake.  In fact, I think Richardson gave Bolton a lesson in coaching.  I expect that he will learn from it and boys will be working on a set up to counter a dominant opposition ruck.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #95
I thought that it was a bit of a rookie mistake.  In fact, I think Richardson gave Bolton a lesson in coaching.  I expect that he will learn from it and boys will be working on a set up to counter a dominant opposition ruck.

You think they would've done that after Goldstein blitzed us a few weeks ago!

Reply #96
Kreuz obviously wasn't able to play the game expected of him IMO. We were caught out then since Gorringe is not a ruckman so we had no other options. Having Phillips there hopefully will make a positive difference.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #97

Yes, you can win clearances against a losing ruck if you set up properly. Freo lost the clearances many, many times despite Sandliands dominate in the tapout dept.

It was just last week Hinkley said that you want either a winning or losing ruck. It's predictable and you can set up for it. It's anything in-between that's causes more problems, especially if you hope to win and you lose.

I wouldn't care if we lost the tapout dept every week if those ruckmen played great footy around the ground. To me alot more value. Like I said, you can set up to a losing ruck.

Reply #98
Yes, you can win clearances against a losing ruck if you set up properly. Freo lost the clearances many, many times despite Sandliands dominate in the tapout dept.

It was just last week Hinkley said that you want either a winning or losing ruck. It's predictable and you can set up for it. It's anything in-between that's causes more problems, especially if you hope to win and you lose.

I wouldn't care if we lost the tapout dept every week if those ruckmen played great footy around the ground. To me alot more value. Like I said, you can set up to a losing ruck.

But we didn't do that either.

Reply #99
Was not surprised at all after last week against Brisbane as we were just as bad then but the lions were just worse. Saints were geared up for this match all week while we looked like we already have one eye on the break.

We will hit rough patches as the honey moon period and hype fizzle out but the test will be to hang tough for the rest of the season.

Bolts got schooled a bit by Richardson in the coaching and tactics stakes but will learn from it. Doc stood up again even when the team was poor which was a great sign.

Reply #100

Bolts got schooled a bit by Richardson in the coaching and tactics stakes but will learn from it. Doc stood up again even when the team was poor which was a great sign.
The more I see of him, the more I think he will be our next Captain.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101
The more I see of him, the more I think he will be our next Captain.

That thought has also crossed my mind GTC.

Reply #102
We were not good enough .We got smashed in the ,midfield,backline and forward .The side was much to slow and to predictable.Walker,Gorringe,Everitt,White and Armfield  were poor to terrible.What a pity really the crowd was pro CARLTON ( at least 60%) but we had nothing cheer about.Bolton was outcoached ,first time this year.I am not devastated even though I really  loathe the AINTS .6 wins before the break is way above my expectation.Chin up all it is not in the world    

Reply #103
Effort was poor and reminded me of our 'bad old days'. Horrible to watch and extremely frustrating!

I'm concerned, yet again mind you, for Bryce Gibbs that he gets a hard tag and then becomes quite ineffective. Young Patrick Cripps seems to be able to really work hard inside and wok his way through.

Whilst our bottom end players have been giving effort of recent times, when they don't or our team as a collective if 'off', we get caught our with limited resources in the midfield and talent pool.

Kreuzer looked really lame and reckon he just was a tad off in movement and mind.

Phillips Id like back in, but am a little hesitant in leaving Gorringe out. Can we play them both with Kreuzer and Casboult, with Everitt and White out....or does that limit our flexibility?

Reply #104
This probably belongs in a R14 pre game thread, but following on from Pratty, I'd say we need to go with as much pace, endurance and athleticism as we can muster.

Giants have become a tougher unit this season, but their bread and butter is pace, and incredibly slick, beautiful ball movement. We must be able to match them in at least one area, because we won't be matching them in much more I reckon. 

As an aside, I have no idea where they will finish this season, but when they're on, they are beautiful to watch and just about unstoppable.