Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 18759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
I hope 'harsh' continues, and may it evolve into us being ruthlessly harsh (re senior selection/holding your place in the seniors). May selection in our senior side become an earned premium and not based on luck or giving someone a go...

We have no other choice if we want to be successful, but there are a few players in our senior side who are there at the moment simply because we have no one better to replace them.
It was line ball between Sumner and Lamb this week in my opinion and ideally both would have been dropped, Buckley is lucky as well.
But it then comes down to players like Clem Smith or Vojo to replace them, and neither of those are doing enough to earn a game.
Graham is very borderline but Murphy is missing, Thomas and Byrne would replace another couple of stragglers but we'll always have injuries and our depth just can't cover them.
We are two good recruiting years away at least.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #46
The game I saw he was outstanding.

In the VFL Laj, he had his chance last week and showed nothing.
A couple more outstanding games in the VFL and he might get another shot but we couldn't pick him again this week if we are fair dinkum.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
When you kick 20 goals so far in a season, which includes playing a few good games in defence it's obvious you are shutting your eyes every time he goes near the ball. He's had two games of 4 goals, two games of 3 goals. He must've fluked all that...lol. The game I saw he was outstanding. To say his VFL hasn't been good on those figures means people have an agenda. If he's doing that playing crap imagine what he'd do if he played well. This is after missing much of his pre-season with illness. He has the ability, depends how much he wants to apply himself with training and off-field, which may be an issue.

It's not that he's playing cr@p, it's that, thus far, his best doesn't cut it at senior level. His best at VFL level is, at times, quite good and at other times quite ordinary. The talent might be there, but the brain sure aint. Watson MKII, different bloke, similar issues.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #48
Good changes, obvious changes. Really don't get the love here for KJ, just not up to it.

Yep, agree, haven't seen a good game, some "lucky" games but not good games.

"Lucky" like the garbage bin that catches the footy kicked into it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Yep, agree, haven't seen a good game, some "lucky" games but not good games.

"Lucky" like the garbage bin that catches the footy kicked into it!

I saw my first live game this year last week and KJ was a fish out of water. Maybe the senior taste will give him an appreciation of what level he needs to be at but he has a long way to go. His performance was also in sharp contrast to our 3 first year players who all made significant contributions in the 2nd half and were instrumental in getting us back in the game. KJ has been in the the system for a fair while now and is looking less likely to make it as each week goes by. The trade for him Whiley and Boekhorst is shaping up as a bust IMO.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #50
In the VFL Laj, he had his chance last week and showed nothing.

Simpsons showed nothing in 3 games straight! 0 disposals.

I heard Denis Pagan about a month ago talk about that. He told the team to let Simpson take a kickout, and kick it to himself, just so he could get his first disposal!

Imagine if we wrote him off after 1 game....or 3 games.

Blokes need a chance to get used to the speed of AFL. You do not get that chance in the VFL.

Reply #51
You've obviously seen plenty of him in the reserves, from your observations, do you believe he is capable of making it in senior footy or is it a completely lost cause ??

KJ is a good size, has decent hands and is only 21 so I would probably keep him on the list for another year in the hope of seeing some actual improvement. I would rank him with Watson but ahead of Mitchell and McCarthy - previous young talls that some fans were promoting ahead of their abilities.

Reply #52

I heard Denis Pagan about a month ago talk about that. He told the team to let Simpson take a kickout, and kick it to himself, just so he could get his first disposal!

Blokes need a chance to get used to the speed of AFL. You do not get that chance in the VFL.

Simmo starred in the magoos. It was obvious he had serious talent. Took him a few senior games to get into the swing of things. KJ has had years and has not dominated at VFL level.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #53
When you kick 20 goals so far in a season, which includes playing a few good games in defence it's obvious you are shutting your eyes every time he goes near the ball. He's had two games of 4 goals, two games of 3 goals. He must've fluked all that...lol. The game I saw he was outstanding. To say his VFL hasn't been good on those figures means people have an agenda. If he's doing that playing crap imagine what he'd do if he played well. This is after missing much of his pre-season with illness. He has the ability, depends how much he wants to apply himself with training and off-field, which may be an issue.

Like I said, I must have missed that outstanding game.

Kicking goals is not necessarily a sign of ability; the level of opposition, soft free kicks, turnovers, uncontested marks and hand passes to a lone player in the goal square can all contribute to the tally. Matthew Watson could kick goals and defend after a fashion; he was also a must better kick than KJ but ultimately, he was unable to win the contested ball and exert sufficient defensive pressure.

I am hoping that KJ will make the grade but have yet to see evidence of it and it is frustrating to see people calling for his inclusion when he has not earned it.

Reply #54

While it's true that Simmo didn't get a disposal in his first three games, he actually spent very little time on the ground.

I don't think anyone is writing Jaksch off after one game.  After all, Jaksch is in his fourth season on an AFL list and has played 14 senior games.  By that stage of his career, Simmo was a regular, had received a Rising Star nomination and was in the leadership group.  Yes, some big blokes can take longer and Jaksch might be a regular in 2017, but he's not really up to it now.

Good players don't need to get used to the speed of AFL, but they do need to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the VFL.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #55
To all those who said KJ was okay last week & deserved another go.....shows what you know. Hopefully we've seen the last of him.....clueless footballer, who doesn't compete anywhere near hard enough or read the game anywhere near well enough.

Lamb was absolutely due to be dropped after consecutive putrid games.

Good selections in & out by the MC.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #56
To all those who said KJ was okay last week & deserved another go.....shows what you know. Hopefully we've seen the last of him.....clueless footballer, who doesn't compete anywhere near hard enough or read the game anywhere near well enough.

Lamb was absolutely due to be dropped after consecutive putrid games.

Good selections in & out by the MC.

I've never been a fan but I would prefer he got a few games in a row just so there is no argument from anyone in the land when he gets flung at the end of the season.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #57
I've never been a fan but I would prefer he got a few games in a row just so there is no argument from anyone in the land when he gets flung at the end of the season.

Someone will always argue.

Reply #58

Touche!

Sorry for the crass analogy, but this whole KJ debate is like worrying about the composted value of that last turd you flushed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Touche!

Sorry for the crass analogy, but this whole KJ debate is like worrying about the composted value of that last turd you flushed!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Covers it pretty well LP.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.