Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22982 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #60
You could be right about Rowe DJC , but we really haven't been delivering the ball consistently well into F50 for a looong time so any forward would find it tough. With an improved midfield that could well change. WRT Levi, his biggest problem is his kicking as we all know, so however well F50 delivery may be improved that would be of no use in his case if he can't improve in that area. He may well do that but we need a plan B if he doesn't.

Having Rowe as another viable forward option would only be a good thing IMO.

It would definitely be a good thing but I just can't see it happening.

Casboult's goal kicking wouldn't be as much of an issue if he played further up the ground.  Of course, that means that we have to have genuine marking options and genuine crumbers dominating the hot spot.  Come on down Harry McKay, Patrick Kerr, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jarrod Pickett . . .

It will be interesting to see how our forward line is structured next season, not to mention running patterns and ball movement.  Bolts said he was happy with our defence and the next step was to fix the forward line.  I can't wait for the first game  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
You mean the bloke who kicked less than a goal a game in his 9 games this year?

Premiership player Zayne Cordy... yep him.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #62
Again I don't understand the negative posts here. For the posts complaining about a lack of forward drafting, we took three tall forwards last season. If one more person say Charlie Curnow is a midfielder i'll lose my sh1t. He moves like a forward, marks and kicks like a forward and has never played midfield in his footy career. He was going to play midfield in his last season at U18's but got injured.

We got another tall forward this year and will get another one next season Ben Silvagni. Surely that's enough for now.

We need mids who have speed and can kick and that's what we got.

Look at the last 4 premiers, their forward lines may have some height up there but the damage is done with small flankers, and their midfield collectively on had Bontempelli a the big mid although Roughead did swing through there for Hawthorn.

I don't know how many of you looked at the draft but there wasn't much on offer for big forwards or big bodied mids. Brodie was about the only class one and there are very big questions over his ability to play two way football. SPS and Fisher are known for their defensive run

Reply #63
Again I don't understand the negative posts here. For the posts complaining about a lack of forward drafting, we took three tall forwards last season. If one more person say Charlie Curnow is a midfielder i'll lose my sh1t. He moves like a forward, marks and kicks like a forward and has never played midfield in his footy career. He was going to play midfield in his last season at U18's but got injured.

We got another tall forward this year and will get another one next season Ben Silvagni. Surely that's enough for now.

Look at the last 4 premiers, their forward lines may have some height up there but the damage is done with small flankers, and their midfield collectively on had Bontempelli a the big mid although Roughead did swing through there for Hawthorn.

I don't know how many of you looked at the draft but there wasn't much on offer for big forwards or big bodied mids. Brodie was about the only class one and there are very big questions over his ability to play two way football. SPS and Fisher are known for their defensive run
Well put Raydan. I said before the draft I wanted to see speed and speed we got, as well as a few talls to boot. I'm happy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64

I agree with you on the kpf's we picked up last year and this and next... however they will all need various amounts of development, I was surprised that we didn't look to a stopgap for 20-50 games, Schultz, Stewart or as it turns out the unlovable Richards...

My only thoughts are that, a bit like last year we are managing expectations... we do have a much improved defense, we will have an improving midfield going forward but, we will struggle to kick winning scores this year and maybe next.
That will give Bolts and SOS the task of selling those positives whilst being able to continue to access probably two more drafts with low draft picks.
High risk, high reward, if the picks mostly come on, we win and could contend, if SOS strikes out however the blowtorch will be out with a vengeance...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #65

Very good points Ray but Hawthorn did have Lance Franklin and Roughead did more than swing through the forward line.

I think that the comments about Charlie Curnow playing as a midfielder were made in order to pump up his tyres prior to the draft.  They have been seized upon by some supporters who want "big-bodied mids".  Charlie is an elite mark and he will make his name as a forward who pushes up the ground to provide a marking target and to win contested marks from opposition kicks - a bit like Jarrad Waite at his best.  If that's playing midfield, then he will be a midfielder.

I reckon that our list has real potential and that potential will be realised in 2017 with more wins than this season  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Injury free (and a big touch wood), guys who will be big improvers for us in 2017:

1. Sumner - had a cursed run at GWS....his time is now.
2. Plowman - see Sumner.
3. Weitering - a year in, we'll see how good this guy really is.
4. SPS (new guy) - will play Rd 1 and make the midfield gig look like a cakewalk. He and Fisher will take an enormous amount of heat off Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps...
5. Curnow C. - a real utility but ultimately a roaming forward with a huge engine! CHF for a decade...
6. Murphy - back to his best with some extra help in the guts. Likely to play a more outside role.
7. Harry Mc - plonk him next to Levi and leave him there!
8. Kerridge - lacks a bit of polish but still young, will improve, a tireless worker and if used forward of centre can be very damaging on the scoreboard.
9. Pickett (new guy) - you don't get taken at #4 in a draft without very good reason. Ran a 2.87 in the 20m run. Will be 21 next year, been in the system a couple of years now and he has a bit to prove....
10. Andrew Phillips - just seems like a real competitor.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
There is plenty of potential there for sure.
Our defence will be just as good as last year. Probably better.
We have added strength and speed to the midfield.
The forward department may still battle to kick a lot of winning scores, but a fit Charlie C and a fit Jack S with another year on their ages will start to become better players and hard to handle if the ball is delivered properly.

We can't expect much from Patrick Kerr yet and I expect Harry McKay to take at least another season before he makes much of an impact.

With the players that we have bought in this year I reckon we are in front of the 2016 list and will climb up the ladder 2 or 3 places.
We have to hope for injury free seasons for Kreuser and Phillips or we will have trouble in the ruck department though.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #68
There is plenty of potential there for sure.
Our defence will be just as good as last year. Probably better.
We have added strength and speed to the midfield.
The forward department may still battle to kick a lot of winning scores, but a fit Charlie C and a fit Jack S with another year on their ages will start to become better players and hard to handle if the ball is delivered properly.

We can't expect much from Patrick Kerr yet and I expect Harry McKay to take at least another season before he makes much of an impact.

With the players that we have bought in this year I reckon we are in front of the 2016 list and will climb up the ladder 2 or 3 places.
We have to hope for injury free seasons for Kreuser and Phillips or we will have trouble in the ruck department though.

I'll beg to differ on Harry. He's the hungry for it type.....

Plenty of small forward options now too - arguably too many@!

Lamb, Sumner, Polson, LeBois, Gallucci, Pickett, Fisher, Wright (the latter more a HFF defensive forward type).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
My negativity stems from the Alex Silvagni decision.

I can make sense of everything aside from putting him on the rookie list.  He is a similar size as Simon White ffs, and i think going younger would have been more beneficial for us at this stage.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #70
I think that the comments about Charlie Curnow playing as a midfielder were made in order to pump up his tyres prior to the draft.

Charlie spent about 50% game time in the midfield rotations for several TAC games. He started off standing an opposition big bodied mid then ended up being the one getting shadowed. For his size he proved to be unexpectedly agile and won a lot of ball, it came natural to him.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Very happy to see Ciaran Sheehan, sorry if the spelling is wrong, being re-listed as a rookie.

Suffered severe Ostiitis pubis, can't spell that either, but is apparently over it.

I reckon he's got loads of untapped potential and in my opinion, would have been a much better player than Zac Touhey, but probably not as good as Ciaran Byrne.

I hope he gets his chance to show us something this year.

Reply #72
Charlie spent about 50% game time in the midfield rotations for several TAC games. He started off standing an opposition big bodied mid then ended up being the one getting shadowed. For his size he proved to be unexpectedly agile and won a lot of ball, it came natural to him.

Charlie played four games before dislocating his patella in the 5th.  He played primarily as a key forward and kicked 8 goals in his four full games.  He also played as a ruckman and, in one game, kicked three goals, had 11 disposals, six tackles and 18 hitouts.  I can't see him playing as a ruckman or a midfielder with us.

It is one of the disappointments of this year's draft that just as Charlie Curnow looked set to try his hand at a midfield role his season was interrupted by injury.

The Geelong Falcon started the season seen as a combative and dangerous forward prospect, but the plan was always to throw him into the midfield to see what he could produce.

Then injury struck, and a dislocated kneecap ruled him out of action for three months, including the mid-year NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with Vic Country. Although at stages it appeared he would not return as opinions swung on the damage sustained in the injury, Curnow came back for the Falcons' final five games of the season and impressed.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-26/29-days-to-the-draft-meet-contested-beast-charlie-curnow

Charlie played as a key forward in his last five TAC games.

I think that the most relevant player comparison is with Jake Stringer.  He was supposed to be a "big bodied mid" but, as we know, has made his name as a shorter key forward.

Reply #73
I have Charlie Curnow pegged more as a Kouta utility type who will play a lot of roles...he is too good an athlete to be left going cold down forward...sure he will play there at times but I see him running on the ball as well so he can use that athletic ability to be a marking target from kickouts etc

Kerr at FF, Harry Mac at CHF and SOSOS as the third tall forward is how I see the Forward line setup on a more consistent basis...

Reply #74
Charlie played four games before dislocating his patella in the 5th.  He played primarily as a key forward and kicked 8 goals in his four full games.  He also played as a ruckman and, in one game, kicked three goals, had 11 disposals, six tackles and 18 hitouts.  I can't see him playing as a ruckman or a midfielder with us.

Charlie played as a key forward in his last five TAC games.

I think that the most relevant player comparison is with Jake Stringer.  He was supposed to be a "big bodied mid" but, as we know, has made his name as a shorter key forward.

I notice with Stringer that he often strays down to the midfield and also often plays like a mid in the forward zone. I'll be happy if Charlie plays like him tbh!
Reality always wins in the end.