Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 40302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #135
All coaches are employees of a football club. It's not up to them to decide when it's time to go. MM's best was behind him. The Pies could see it, and so could all the other clubs that were looking for a senior coach in that time, except of course for the lazy, soft option, quick fix kings.

Malthouse coached Collingwood to a flag and runner up in the two years prior to his sacking, it defies logic to say that his best was behind him 12 months later.
I'm not implying that Malthouse was the right appointment for Carlton at the time any more than Ratten was before him, but blaming Malthouse for our current plight is missing the point in my opinion.
No coach has succeeded at Carlton for two decades, have they all been duds?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #136

So we fail because of the club and not primarily because of the coaches, is that your point? If so, I tend to agree, but I think MM was an exception.

I think the primary problem has been our player development, along with some lingering impacts from the AFL TPP Penalties, which left us as an undesirable destination for players. For a long time we didn't develop players, we had a harvesting attitude and that hindered our player development. Players no longer want to play for Carlton.

As far as I know, we remain the only AFL Club under full time AFL audit. Maybe that tells you something about why experienced AFL players and managers choose to move players to other clubs! No opportunity, or less opportunity, to bend the rules at Carlton than elsewhere!

Also, I am not sure the NBs relationship is helping us all that much! It seems to me the Victorian AFL clubs which are most successful are the clubs which effectively have autonomy over standalone VFL teams.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
Malthouse coached Collingwood to a flag and runner up in the two years prior to his sacking, it defies logic to say that his best was behind him 12 months later.
I'm not implying that Malthouse was the right appointment for Carlton at the time any more than Ratten was before him, but blaming Malthouse for our current plight is missing the point in my opinion.

It doesn't defy logic at all. Whatever love McGuire has for Bucks, the Pies know Malthouse better than anyone - the succession plan was several years in the making. There was plenty of time for everyone to know exactly what was going on, and to have plenty of time to prepare themselves. Is it better to go out on a high, or is it better for a team to crash and burn before someone realizes a change needs to occur ?

Where exactly have I blamed any one individual over our current malaise ?

Pagan, MM and Ratts are not dud coaches. Our problems run a lot deeper than just one person - that doesn't mean that coaches should be treated equally, and it doesn't mean coaches should be let off the hook, simply because an AFL club is a complex organization, with plenty of other blame candidates. Surely by now we have enough mechanisms, processes etc in place to be able to judge whether a particular individual is doing a good job or not ?

Reply #138

Time passes you by pretty quickly in the coaching caper as the game quickly evolves. Both Pagan and Malthouse kept going previous old methods that the opposition quickly worked out. The same plan doesn't work for more than a couple of years. Pagan was still controlling interchanges at the end meaning we were going at 30 a game while the opposition were going at 80-100+. The issue you have with old coaches. Clarko, by contrast. evolved and continued to change his game plan. Ratten did coach to our strengths hence had success, even if that was downhill skiing, which we did need to sort admittedly to take the next step, but hey, we were winning. He never had a super list so he did well to get us to 3 finals series.

Reply #139
Nobody knows the mix of responsibility that was in place at Collingwood prior to MMs departure.

What we do know is that MM wanted an autocracy at Carlton, as a club we were stupid we gave it to him! The days when one bloke can call all the shots at AFL level are long gone!

This was Ratten's downfall, and it was MMs downfall.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Clarko, by contrast. evolved and continued to change his game plan.

Even Clarkson's gloss is wearing off, he's lost the guidance of a lot of strong individuals and it appears he's running off the rails. His fate will be very interesting in the coming months and years, the likes of Dunstall and Brereton influence a powerful coterie that is very unforgiving!

At the moment I think Clarkson's old school ways sit quite nicely with the Dunstalls and Breretons of this world, but I am not sure the next generations of recruits will be so easily dominated.

How much of Clarkson's superb player development came form the Tassie teachers, Bolton and Fagan? Perhaps Clarkson's lasting legacy will be that he identified Tassie as an underutilised AFL resource!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
Even Clarkson's gloss is wearing off, he's lost the guidance of a lot of strong individuals and it appears he's running off the rails. His fate will be very interesting in the coming months and years, the likes of Dunstall and Brereton influence a powerful coterie that is very unforgiving!

At the moment I think Clarkson's old school ways sit quite nicely with the Dunstalls and Breretons of this world, but I am not sure the next generations of recruits will be so easily dominated.

Clarko did evolve with each of his flags as he knew you couldn't sit still. Inevitably his guns were going to grow old and there was going to be a down period but he's quite capable of evolving again. Sheedy re-invented himself for 27 years.

Think it was the other way around. I'm thinking Bolton and Fagan might have picked up much about player development from Clarko.

Reply #142
Sheedy re-invented himself for 27 years.

Not the complete story, Sheedy used his heavy influence over the CheatsFC dominated AFL Board to have rules changed to suit his list!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
Not the complete story, Sheedy used his heavy influence over the CheatsFC dominated AFL Board to have rules changed to suit his list!

At 27 years of coaching you've shown the ability to re-invent yourself many times.

Reply #144
So we fail because of the club and not primarily because of the coaches, is that your point? If so, I tend to agree, but I think MM was an exception

I think we've failed primarily due to our woeful recruiting.
Someone pointed out on here the other day that the three years from 2012 to 2014 have been an almost complete bust recruiting wise apart from Cripps and one other whose name escapes me.
If this was isolated then it wouldn't be as critical but it's part of a long history stretching back decades, no club can be competitive under those circumstances.
I don't buy the player development line by the way, a large number of our recruiting busts have been established players.
It's a hangover from the Elliott days of "we don't rebuild at Carlton", we just never came to terms with the draft and we've paid a very heavy price.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #145
Someone pointed out on here the other day that the three years from 2012 to 2014 have been an almost complete bust recruiting wise apart from Cripps and one other whose name escapes me.
If this was isolated then it wouldn't be as critical but it's part of a long history stretching back decades, no club can be competitive under those circumstances.
I don't buy the player development line by the way, a large number of our recruiting busts have been established players.
It's a hangover from the Elliott days of "we don't rebuild at Carlton", we just never came to terms with the draft and we've paid a very heavy price.

While I agree our draft and trade result is poor, it might not be as accidental as we believe!

It depends whether you think that result was accidental or deliberate. For a long time now, at least 4 or 5 years, I have heard rumors Carlton is positioning itself for when full unrestricted free agency arrives. It has even been rumored to be the reason why so many players, 27 I think, are currently under contracts that expire at the end of this season! Let's see what the CBA brings.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #146

I think it's recruiting, development, culture, bad appointments, the board..................

Reply #147
Time passes you by pretty quickly in the coaching caper as the game quickly evolves. Both Pagan and Malthouse kept going previous old methods that the opposition quickly worked out. The same plan doesn't work for more than a couple of years. Pagan was still controlling interchanges at the end meaning we were going at 30 a game while the opposition were going at 80-100+. The issue you have with old coaches. Clarko, by contrast. evolved and continued to change his game plan. Ratten did coach to our strengths hence had success, even if that was downhill skiing, which we did need to sort admittedly to take the next step, but hey, we were winning. He never had a super list so he did well to get us to 3 finals series.

The only period when we were generally moving in the right direction was 08-12.

Reply #148
I think it's recruiting, development, culture, bad appointments, the board..................
"In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe and aah no that’s it, it’s the vibe. I rest my case"
BY DENIS DENUTO  "As seen on TV" - The Castle·
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #149
Reality always wins in the end.