Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 41012 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #75
Parko's three debutantes rule has been shown not to hold up.  Perhaps his teams didn't have the same desire, desperation and inspiring leadership  :)

to be fair, parkos rule had a lot to do with pigs arse attitude to rebuilds.
Coaches were scared to debut too many as it often resulted in losses, which inturn cost coaching jobs

Reply #77
How hilarious. The pharmacist coach reports the drug cheats still FINDING THEIR CHEMISTRY ^-^ :D :) just hilarious, but I'm sure the world will excuse it if they find it....
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #78
Could only watch second half.

Thought the umpiring was deplorable against both teams, but was really happy that three obvious frees within about a minute to the drug cheats, were not paid in the last quarter.

Just as an aside, the one thing destroying the game today, is the appalling umpiring that we ALL have to put up with.

I have been an ongoing critic of Rowe, but thought the half I saw him play today was very good, and I'll always give credit when it's due, even if I believe that he's not, nor has ever been, up to AFL standards. I put it down to the conditions. He's as slow as a wet weekend, pardon the pun, and on a dry day he's hopeless. But today, the wet track brought everyone back to his snails pace.

You will all cover the good players and have already.

So I'll cover two main negatives that drive me nuts every week.

One is the giving away of stupid imbecilic frees in our back line by our defenders and others hanging on to their opponents. Curnow did it last week against Melbourne after Levi had taken a mark  20 metres out directly in front that he would have taken, despite Ed Curnows stupid interference.  Curnow is a repeat offender, and it costs us.

But he's not the only one. Marchbank did it today and it cost us a goal on a day when goals were as rare as hens teeth. This lack of intelligence and discipline must be eradicated because if they don't know by now, the umpires are right onto it.

Secondly. We need to sack our forward coach, Watson. I have spoken to him, and he is about as unimpressive a "coach" as I have ever met. It is inexcusable to miss from 30-40 metres out, either directly in front or on a slight angle.
The most obvious issue today was that the players, including Gibbs in the third quarter, and Palmer, ran in too close to the man on the mark. thereby hooking the ball every time. How difficult is it, to educate men who are earning between 150 and 600 grand a year to take an extra 5 metre run up before shooting for goal so that they are not within a metre of the man on the mark when they kick.

All in all, it has been a long time since I have been as proud of the guts, determination and effort put in by our very young team, as I have been today.

And, if Samo was a woman, and I was 50 years younger, I'd marry him!! What a star in the making.

Reply #79
@bignic
It might be mixed emotions for you today. All our Sam's were sensational today. No more than the big fella. Sam Kerridge less sensational but did his job.
Henry Ford.

Reply #80
Rowe just about played his best game for the club today.

Reply #81
Parko's three debutantes rule has been shown not to hold up.  Perhaps his teams didn't have the same desire, desperation and inspiring leadership  :)

There were more players inside the circle than on the outside of it when they were singing the song ;)......well almost ;D

Reply #82

Rowe has played plenty of 'best games' during his time at the club. They are quickly forgotten however.

He was, what, top 6 in the B+F last year? Give the bloke some credit, he does his job more often than not.

Reply #83
Rowe has played plenty of 'best games' during his time at the club. They are quickly forgotten however.

He was, what, top 6 in the B+F last year? Give the bloke some credit, he does his job more often than not.

X2

He has some impressive scalps hanging from his belt!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
Only negative for me was Thomas, again, just not close to AFL standard

Reply #85

Apart from the fascination with ball punching, I don't get the Rowe hate. He's been more than handy for a couple of seasons now. Happy to have him down back.

Reply #86

I agree. He's been building with each game. Having some reliable talent around him, and taking on a leadership role is suiting him well.
Henry Ford.

Reply #87
Funnny how we see games, Gibb really annoyed me today, couple of lazy missed shots on goal and a bazillion hacked kicks foward (many on his left side) to nobody, but a heap of tackles and got to every contest all day so couldn't fault the effort.... Simpson similar (constantly caught on wrong side) but kept getting to the drop of the ball.  Contrasted with Palmer who had an awful first half but applied manic pressure in the second which locked the ball in and really exposed the bummer's small backs.  Wouldn't place any in the best but still made critical contributions.

Pickett struggled in the wet but looks like he could kick a bag one day, needs game time.  Burnt three goals today.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #88
X2

He has some impressive scalps hanging from his belt!

x3...Liked his work on Daniher and we would struggle to hold the bigger key forwards without Rowe who has the size to compete, for a bloke who got the chop
from the Swans and was hacking around at Norwood looking at a career as a chippie he has turned things around especially after suffering a serious illness.
Credit to him and hope he can keep up his good form and extend his career...

Reply #89
to be fair, parkos rule had a lot to do with pigs arse attitude to rebuilds.
Coaches were scared to debut too many as it often resulted in losses, which inturn cost coaching jobs

Not according to how he described it on the ABC last weekend.  He was adamant that he lost every time he coached a team with three debutantes at Hawthorn, Fitzroy and Carlton and, after watching our first two games, I could see merit in his theory.

Perhaps modern day debutantes are better prepared; Williamson has the confidence and execution of a 50 game player!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball