Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 37437 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #60
Big picture guys - I was again pleased with what I saw. The kids are amazingly good considering our early into their career they are.

What do we expect to see? 

Had 9 players under 21 and went down by under 5 goals to a team who beat hawks by a record margin - all this the next week after playing in hard terrible condition that must have taxed our kids young bodies. How did essendon fare this week?

We had 8 kids in this match with the most experienced having 12 games to their name.  They all played in one game yet too many expect to see a stellar performance.

Think many need to lower their expectations - either your commited to the rebuild or your not. If your commited you have to be pleased with what your seeing.

I know I am.

That's how I see it as well Shawny. We are where we are, and no amount of wishing is going to change it. It takes time and effort.

Reply #61
Didn't hear any booing pre-game.

Some minor booing of Ablett for about 1qtr... like the blues it stopped in the 2nd half!

Ablett got booed most of the night where I was sitting but had the last laugh unfortunately, picked up a lot of cheap possies early and had no effect on the game
but did get on the end of some runs from other GC players and was damaging after half time as he can use the footy well.
IMO he is playing out time at GC and not going full throttle but is clever enough to keep his stats up to prove he is trying....also gets the superstar treatment off the umps,
hard to get a holding the ball or in correct disposal decision against him yet another hack player would be pinged every time.

Reply #62
Could say that and I'm having a holiday of sorts ATM .????

I didn't know they let you post from in there. Best of luck anyway.

Reply #63
I disagree that Ablett 'killed us'. Many of his possessions were cheap handball receives at the back of the mark, and 1-2 combos, the only impact of which were to inflate his possession count.
Ablett's clearances in the 3rd quarter were the things that hurt us.
One really bad sign for GC was that most of their midfielders got a huge number of handball receives. It suggests that they did NOT get their own ball. And considering how many possessions they got, when over 50% come from handball receives, it suggests that they may not like it against this year's top echelon.
In fact, it looks like many of the GC mids were basing their game on Ablett's, and that included a huge number of junk possessions.

It was also clear that we were NOT manning Ablett closely. Ed Curnow spent very little time on him. At times, Simon White was on him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #64
How many games do you think they'll win this year EB?

This time last year people were talking about top 4 and they appear to be back to that level.

I think, at their best, they are just about as good as anyone but they're as flaky as crap.

PS, Abblett is a parasite on and off the field. King of the cheapie and completely selfish.

They looked good last night... good game style, plenty of talent, if they had Prestia and JOM they would be looking to push into the 8.

Reckon they will win around 10 games... won't be easy to beat them at Metricon. Still  rely too much on Gazza Jnr... have a few blokes who like to sneak ahead of the contest... it looks good when the ball comes out to them. Loosing May for a few weeks won't help them.

Reply #66
Our next significant stage of progress in our redevelopment will include the replacement of the likes of:
Daisy
Kerridge
Palmer
Graham
Army.
By more skillful and talented players.

In the meantime, whichever of those happen to be rotated through selection is, IMHO, largely immaterial.

Reckon they're all close to cooked. Take out Daisy and I don't think those names will play 20 games between them this year.

Daisy will likely be out by round 10, barring injuries.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #67
I didn't know they let you post from in there. Best of luck anyway.

Not quite that bad!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #68
Ricky Dyson was another. I actually met his Uncle at a Essendon vs Carlton game several years back and we chatted for quite awhile. He was talking about how bad player abuse had become and some of the things that went on. It's not just the player that cops it but even the family.

You cannot believe people would stoop to that level, but apparently they do - and this was from Essendon 'supporters'.

Reply #70
Ablett got booed most of the night where I was sitting but had the last laugh unfortunately, picked up a lot of cheap possies early and had no effect on the game
but did get on the end of some runs from other GC players and was damaging after half time as he can use the footy well.
IMO he is playing out time at GC and not going full throttle but is clever enough to keep his stats up to prove he is trying....also gets the superstar treatment off the umps,
hard to get a holding the ball or in correct disposal decision against him yet another hack player would be pinged every time.

Never been a boo'er myself... I should have heard it given you could hear the players talking on the ground last night. We did well to wrap him up in the 1st half, laid some good tackles, but he became more effective as we dropped off.

Reply #71
Because people are frustrated and had a gutful of blokes like Thomas, been on big money, delivered little for an extended period of time.  Now he isnt fast enough to apply meaningful defensive pressure on the ball carrier, ball use is average at best and now he is blowing short kicks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #72
The reason Ablett was being booed for a while was probably because of his kidney punch on Murphy before the ball was bounced to start the game...

Not that it made a great deal of difference but did anyone else notice the goal of ours that was ruled a touched point? Replays clearly showed it wasn't touched until the entire aggott had passed the goal line.

Our midfield drop off in the 3rd cost us dearly - bad old days. For a side wanting to be known for its consistency and pressure over 4 quarters, we sure did let ourselves down badly... and it only takes 1 quarter, or even just half a quarter of mental softness/weakness to render useless all the other hard work.

No authority in Crippers game. Please don't kill him, if he needs a week off so he can recover for flock sake give it to him... it's not a sign of weakness, ditto Weitering. That's why we got Kerridge, Palmer and A Silvagni.

It wouldn't have mattered who was on 2 metre Peter, delivery to him was perfect and so was his set shot kicking. There were some curious coaching decisions and non-decisions... makes me wonder if the Adelaide bloke is having too much game day influence.

The club will keep supporters on side playing the 'green shoots' card for a while, but repeats of that 3rd quarter shameful capitulation will undermine the effectiveness of that card. Midfield leadership was required. Words and other platitudes mean stuff all if we don't demonstrate spirit when the heat of the game is against us. The final quarter effort was good but by then GC knew they had it and relaxed a fraction.

I'd rather see Polson, Smedts or even Boekhorst running around than Thomas. Yes, it's nice that he's trying so hard, and brings some on-field leadership (where was it in the 3rd qtr?) and is nice to kiddies before the game, but he's on the field for a reason... and he's no longer up to it and that is not his fault but if we keep selecting him we only embarrass him and ourselves. Nice that many are trying to make excuses for him. Nice that we're a charitable organisation for him. FM, he does one nice thing and everyone is in raptures... and that's cr@p.

Don't you just love how little Fev, ZF, never gives up? He's a ripper. Pickett grew a little more. Sheesh SOJ worked hard, nearly blew his pooper valve.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73

Not that it made a great deal of difference but did anyone else notice the goal of ours that was ruled a touched point? Replays clearly showed it wasn't touched until the entire aggott had passed the goal line.

Probably not a great deal of difference in the end result but it would have been a handy boost at the time.
Due to the strange vagaries of the draw we play this lot again in the middle of June.
It will be interesting to see the development in the young blokes in that time.

Don't you just love how little Fev, ZF, never gives up? He's a ripper.

You mean little Jezza ;D

Reply #74
Because people are frustrated and had a gutful of blokes like Thomas, been on big money, delivered little for an extended period of time.  Now he isnt fast enough to apply meaningful defensive pressure on the ball carrier, ball use is average at best and now he is blowing short kicks.

Do you think he is doing it on purpose?   

Daisy is done.   His body has caught up with him and he can't play the football he used to or wants to.

I have no ill feeling towards him.   He accepted a large contract that WE offered him.   Do you think he should have knocked back the cash?   Said it was too much?    In hindsight offering that much cash to someone with a bad ankle was height of stupidity.   All frustrations should go towards the decision makers on that one.

He is having a crack and working hard, he just can't and never will get to any level that matches his pay.