Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 29791 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #90
Jack's issue is as a forward he doesn't have the speed to break away from the defender on the lead.
Therefore he is under pressure every time the ball is kicked to him.

Graham and Pickett both took short steps.
Really disappointed in Graham's effort as a player who is playing for his future you would think would have the run through a brick wall mindset.

Richmond rely heavily on Rance. They run and spread aswell as anyone on the break because they back Rance to win his contest.
We continually fell down at Centre half forward and that kick into half forward all day. No real options and poor disposal.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #91
What concerned me about SOJ yesterday was his inability to stop his opponent(s) running off him.  While our team defence should minimise the impact of that, SOJ's opponent(s) was able to set up several Richmond forward thrusts.  As a small/medium forward SOJ (and Bolton) needs to find a way to stop opponents exploiting his lack of pace.  Samo and Pickett having off days and Lamb getting KOd probably didn't help.

Agree. This will be looked at by other clubs, and unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to make someone faster or more athletic. The rest of the team needs to take up the slack, or Bolts needs to use Jack in imaginative ways.

In no way did I agree that it was a big step up..... He was putrid along with many others.

What I was saying is he isn't afraid to put his body on the line and he looks a keeper.

A few others though........ hmmm.

So we agree ?

Not a great performance from Jack, but don't forget it is only a week ago that he got a Rising Star nomination.

He's going OK for a young bloke only half way through his second season.

As you said PP, he wasn't the only one that was very ordinary yesterday.

Yes, agree with all that. I was surprised by his RS nomination, but it's no more or less baffling than many other nominations, awards etc. given out by the AFL. I'm happy for him.

Reply #92
See ya Boekhorst and Graham. Not up to it. Both wimped it.

Reply #93
That was our worst performance since Port Game and we were lucky to be in it.

Shows our lack of depth still, still 2 drafts/off seasons away.

Meh. Richmond just sweated on the inevitable poor kick coming and then bounced it out easy as you like.

I imagine a few players wont see the seniors again this year.

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #94
Richmond's set up in the second quarter particularly was like us playing against ourselves.  Once we got the ball we had no idea on how to get it forward to give us an opportunity to score.  We had 30 minutes and nothing changed - we didn't seem to have any plans or ideas on how to do things differently.  Some of the options that we took were horrific!

To be 13 points down at 3qtr time was astounding and an indictment on Richmond.  Their fumbling and lack of skill under a modicum of pressure continues to this day.  Unfortunately, we weren't in a position to take advantage of it.

Best players would be a short list this week, unlike other weeks.

Reply #95
wake up the f.. up all of you.

they kicked 2.7 to 0.1 in Q2. it should have been a 10 goal plus smashing wee were that putrid....

Shame on the coaching staff for having no answers. it was obvious from the start.

Exactly.

This was one of our weakest performances for the year; a reminder of how timid we can be from days gone by. Maybe we still are, deep down inside. As the old saying goes, exert enough pressure on anyone and they'll revert to type. The Tiggers killed us and as you point out, had they kicked straight they would have won by plenty more.

Where was the 'attitude', the mongrel that we saw in the previous two weeks? Easy to pick on Ablett jr but were we scared to try the same thing with Dusty? If so, that is wimp city stuff. Real courage is getting into a bloke like Dusty. Can we only beat sides who are decimated by injury or in poor form or where we can pick on non-threatening blokes who are prime movers?

Thank you, 77, for calling it as it was. Seems we overdosed on 'pathetic pills' for both the NBs and seniors yesterday. Or perhaps we were still basking in the sunshine of back-to-back wins. That what losers do.

An all round bleak day for the Carlton Football Club. Between the NBs and seniors we kicked 12 goals for the day. Embarrassing. We're almost 66% into a reset/rebuild... really? Once we're challenged or played at our own game, we 'turn up our toes' as one commentator observed during the NBs characterless surrender at Punt road yesterday. Yesterday was a horrible reminder of our past where it was left up to a few individuals... if not for Cripps, Kreuzer, Gibbs and Docherty... I dread to think. And our skipper was the antithesis of leadership yesterday.

Players and coaches need a fair dinkum shake up... hiding behind this reset stuff has gone on long enough. And, sorry to say this, but if I see Samo cruise around the ground again playing bruise free footy I'll... cue Terry Wallace speech.

It's beginning to remind me of the bad old days when our marketing dept ran the show and the wool was pulled over our eyes, until it was impossible to mask the endemic failure of the place.

As an aside, I hope we recruit (if he retires at year's end) Luke Hodge as an assistant coach. His footy smarts, superior leadership and uncompromising ruthlessness are qualities we desperately need. And p1ss of the Adelaide bloke and get an elder coaching boss with a premiership pedigree who's got some old school intolerance to mediocrity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #96
Geez overeact much

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #97
What a difference a week makes :D

Reply #98
See ya Boekhorst and Graham. Not up to it. Both wimped it.

and Pickett. He'd need to do a Lima Jones and play 5 blinders in a row in the magoos before getting another senior gig.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #99
and Pickett. He'd need to do a Lima Jones and play 5 blinders in a row in the magoos before getting another senior gig.

Yup. Him too. I'd play Pickett down back at VFL level. He'd be my Chris Johnson (former Lions gun) clone.

Reply #100
I guess the frustration for me is that yesterday's game and effort looked a lot like the 'old' Carlton that we all hoped we were moving away from over the last few months. But it was back in spades yesterday, and like a lot here I felt like we deserved to be beaten by a lot more when you look at the stats. The fact that if Picketts takes the mark and goals we would have been 12 points down with 5 to play shows just how ordinary Richmond played.

There were a lot more negatives than positives yesterday. It was left to a few [Doc, Gibbs, Kruz, Simmo, Cripps] to do all the heavy lifting, and we just had way to many passengers all over the ground. We got nothing from our 'ins', structurally we were poor and we got out-coached.

Our defence against there small forward line was horrid. They took 24 marks i50 and had spare men everywhere. We were too tall and slow for their setup.

Our second tier midfielders and wingers were terrible. Boek really disappointed me after an ok game last week. Smedts was playing in defence some of the time, and SPS just cruised around without showing any intensity. Graham just doesn't have the weapons to make an impact at AFL level. Insipid comes to mind.

Forward line was [again] a shambles. No real pressure when the ball hit the ground from SOJ, Pickett and Wright, and they outnumbered and ran it coast to coast a number of times. Pickett was a real disappointment for mine, and Jack's lack of leg speed really hurts him on the big ground when the ball hits the ground.

Dusty did as he pleased all day [again] which was embarrassing at times. Murph was poor, just cruised around and went back to putting team mates under pressure with handballs rather than taking the game on when he got the ball making an impact.

Reply #101
What a difference a week makes :D

Yes. Another one of those down weeks which we knew we'd be getting. Just on SEN they were saying that our boys looked very tired and I thought they were very lethargic myself. Anyway, no excuses and we carry on! Disappointing but no need for sackcloth and ashes yet.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #103
Geez overeact much

Depends whether you seek excellence or excuses; whether you tolerate mediocrity or are uncompromising.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #104
Yes. Another one of those down weeks which we knew we'd be getting. Just on SEN they were saying that our boys looked very tired and I thought they were very lethargic myself. Anyway, no excuses and we carry on! Disappointing but no need for sackcloth and ashes yet.

They played two games where they put in a very good effort.
Maintaining that effort week after week is just not possible.
It's why a side has never gone through undefeated in the history of the game.
Even our 1995 premiership side (possibly our best ever "team") had a couple of down games.
Now when youré a side in development these "down games" occur more frequently.
It's hard for youngsters to be consistent.
I wouldn't be surprised that at some level we aren't actually targeting those games where we have less chance of winning and using them to manage players or give a few blokes a final chance.
That game earlier in the season where we played a heap of youngsters could have been such an example...."We're not likely to win....give them all a run and see what they come up with"...Unfortunately that one backfired.