Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v Swans semi final - pre game thead  (Read 70810 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v Swans semi final - pre game thead

Reply #30
We're in with a big show I think - we just can't let the Swans off the lease as much as we have with Port and the Tigers though - they would prove a lot harder to reel in IMHO. If we stay focussed for 4Q we can do it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
We've got a 50/50 chance I reckon.
The Swannies got belted by Hawthorn which never does any team any good and they've got a few missing, if McLean comes up we're just about full strength apart from Carratts but Curnow is doing the job in his absence, our rucks are going well and our midfield is in form.
McLean for McInnes/Menzel looks likely.

Would have to be Menzel. McInnes although not doing great will be required to cover one of 4 or 5 Syd talls in defense.
We'll be too short without him.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #32
Is there any legitimate replacement for McInnes? Considering the success of Duigan you'd just about consider playing Laids. Otherwise who?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33
Is there any legitimate replacement for McInnes? Considering the success of Duigan you'd just about consider playing Laids. Otherwise who?

The only other one is Bootsma really.
None of the other options have played in the top side.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #34
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/football/injury-list

Goodes last played in late June....c''mon, roll the dice Horse.

Some big outs all the same - Shaw, Reid, LRt.....

I'm sure the tigers were saying the same thing about us and Judd. Great players (and I know some don't rate Goodes) have a knack of coming back and having a huge game.

Aye, noted but Judd had missed 2 weeks, Goodes has now missed more than 2 months of footy.

It seems he last played in Rd 13.

If they bring back LRT too - with the ins last week, a third of their team will be very underdone......

All I'm saying is it could work in our favour....

I would rather Goodes as sub than starting.
Judd showed he needed time to get a feel for the game after being out for what 3 weeks? so I would imagine Goodes would struggle to come off the bench and have a huge impact straight off the bat... Having said that, \we all know he is all class and nothing would surprise me.

Reply #35
Win or lose on Saturday night, if we'd been told we'd make the 1st semi at season's start, we'd probably have taken that!

For me the most important thing that's happening is that so many of our younger lads are getting at least 2 weeks of finals experience - invaluable. And so important for us to see who really stands up under finals pressure - this will help the 'who goes and who stays' come trading time.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
Win or lose on Saturday night, if we'd been told we'd make the 1st semi at season's start, we'd probably have taken that!

For me the most important thing that's happening is that so many of our younger lads are getting at least 2 weeks of finals experience - invaluable. And so important for us to see who really stands up under finals pressure - this will help the 'who goes and who stays' come trading time.

Spot on Baggerino old chum. Invaluable experience for Bell, Curnow and Menzel. Really impressed with Curnow's second half of the season, got to hand it to the old man Malthouse, he's turned Curnow into a very good player.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37

Can not agree more Baggers.  And more importantly they will get a thorough understanding from Mick as to what is expected in the coming months and prep for 2014 finals (yes I expect finals next year without any hand up from dumb coaches). As much as I'm no Mick fan he does understand finals footy. 
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #38
We've got a 50/50 chance I reckon.
The Swannies got belted by Hawthorn which never does any team any good and they've got a few missing, if McLean comes up we're just about full strength apart from Carratts but Curnow is doing the job in his absence, our rucks are going well and our midfield is in form.
McLean for McInnes/Menzel looks likely.

Would have to be Menzel. McInnes although not doing great will be required to cover one of 4 or 5 Syd talls in defense.
We'll be too short without him.

We'll win or lose it in the middle, Menzel might give us a bit more flexibility than McInnes.
You're probably right though, Menzel will probably miss out.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #39
What about Brock is he any chance?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
Statistics and history always suggest the top 4 teams play in a Prelim. They are usually the better teams over the course of the year for a reason and the closest any team has come outside the 4 is us 2 years ago.

I reckon we are a massive chance as swans are struggling but they wont let us back in if we give them a sniff, and we have shown all year, we let teams either back in or get ahead at various stages.

Enjoy the ride, no expectations, hope we show the heart and character that was on display yesterday.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #41
Don't want to get ahead of myself but I don't think we've seen our best for 4Q by any means so far this year. If we can improve it out to 3.5Q or more v. the Swans we are starting to be a chance.

Just play ugly, negative  and scrag for the rest of the time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
What about Brock is he any chance?

I still reckon that "he felt a twang in the warm up" is bollocks.

I don't reckon there was any risk Duigan would be left out, he's a defender/defensive forward. If they were fair dinkum they would have brought in a mid to replace Brock.

and I dont expect Brock to play this week.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #43
Yeah Ellard would have been the like for like...

fair play to Brock if he felt he wasnt right.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #44
I like your thinking Karroto. It would just add to this fairytale that is currently underway. Somehow though I doubt very much it's going to happen.