Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 18972 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #60
Some young players are better off getting initial experience at VFL level.
Some benefit from a mix of senior and VFL...a couple of matches to get a taste and then drop back to get a bit of the football.

I reckon both Dow and O'Brien should stay exactly where they are...they're growing with every senior game they play.

Reply #61
Some benefit from a mix of senior and VFL...a couple of matches to get a taste and then drop back to get a bit of the football.

I reckon both Dow and O'Brien should stay exactly where they are...they're growing with every senior game they play.

Dead right. They will just get better and better as they get more games into them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #62

If you don't grow, thats when you need to go back to the 2's.
You don't have to improve every game, but when there is a clear trend of NOT improving, then you need a spell. Those 2 don't have that problem.
Others, like Weitering and SOJ did.

Reply #63
Time to stick him in the NBs for the rest of the year and make him captain, although that would be a bit of an affront to Tom Wilson who seems a decent fellow and gives his all.

Wont happen in a million years.  At 34, when he’s cooked, he’s cooked. He’ll limp to 300 and if he is of no further use in the 1sts, that will be it.

Reply #64
Wont happen in a million years.  At 34, when he’s cooked, he’s cooked. He’ll limp to 300 and if he is of no further use in the 1sts, that will be it.

I'd think this would be the most likely scenario. You would have to think this is his final season, surely ?

Reply #65
On the other hand Thomas is having his best season for us.
If we're looking for an NB captain or maybe an assistant coach for 2019 he may be an option...if he doesn't go around again ;)

Reply #66
Our "shrinking defence" will be made up of lightweights, you'll deliver the perfect conditions to run blokes like Stringer, Ambrose, Tipunwuti and Daniher into good form!

O'Shea looks a million dollars at VFL, but at AFL level he is bruise free despite being +190cm.

There was a reason Rowe was getting crapty last night, and it wasn't the opposition or our talls!

Attacks are often started at half back. Hard to happen when you're full of height. Essendon hate it when a side can get them in-close as they are nothing but an outside running side. We pick a side too tall and they'll kill us there.

Reply #67
Attacks are often started at half back. Hard to happen when you're full of height. Essendon hate it when a side can get them in-close as they are nothing but an outside running side. We pick a side too tall and they'll kill us there.

What's your ideal back 6 Jim?..of those likely to be available.

Reply #68
Simpson to retire and Thomas to get another season the way things are panning out...Thomas would be doing well in the B&F IMO and is one of our more robust players which doesnt say much for the rest of the list.
Simpson has been great value down back but with Docherty out is being tagged most weeks and by 3/4 time can barely kick over 30m......if that was the old Thomas he would have been under the pump from this forum but Simmo is Navy Blue Royalty and gets some slack cut but he needs to retire gracefully.

Reply #69
Simpson has been great value down back but with Docherty out is being tagged most weeks and by 3/4 time can barely kick over 30m......if that was the old Thomas he would have been under the pump from this forum but Simmo is Navy Blue Royalty and gets some slack cut but he needs to retire gracefully.

Well that is the reality of the situation, some will never accept Daisy, while others will always forgive Simmo!

Money stops so many players from retiring gracefully, I realise many have nothing other than football, but I'm glad Judd went when he did a match winner until the end.

I don't want to be cursing Simmo like Waite or TBird! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70

He is of no further use.  A game played above the shoulders succeeds or fails on chemistry and confidence. How many times did he kill our momentum last night?  And every single time it happened, how many of you winced when he had the ball in his hands KNOWING he was going to turn it over?

A favourite player for sure. But an interesting study in talent v. effort. Makes me wonder if his junior coaches turned a blind eye to his skill limitations because of his spirit and the example he set for teammates less willing but more skilled.

And while I'm at it, I totally disagree with the perceived value others have for Thomas. I see him as part of the problem as well. His brain is writing cheques his body can't cash. Haphazard disposal, his attempts to be cute and tricky continually catch the younger players off guard.  They need consistency and system, not chaos.

Of course, the problem is who to replace them with.  I have no answer for that.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #71
If I've counted correctly, Simpson's 300th will be R15, assuming he plays every game, and allowing for the bye.

We play the Power at the G.

It's a shame that we can't give him a more fitting send off - this season will be a sh1tty one in which to finish.

Reply #72
If I've counted correctly, Simpson's 300th will be R15, assuming he plays every game, and allowing for the bye.

We play the Power at the G.

It's a shame that we can't give him a more fitting send off - this season will be a sh1tty one in which to finish.

A miracle might happen. I'd love to see us pull that off. He's been a champion for us.
Was it Simmo's 250 where we won against the odds?
I remember he was overwhelmed with emotion at the siren. He was getting a big hug from his good mate Gibbs - lying on the ground if I recall  correctly.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #73
I'd think this would be the most likely scenario. You would have to think this is his final season, surely ?

You guys must be watching a different Kade Simpson to me.

I'd have him in the top 2 for our B&F right now.

Reply #74
As usual the very little we get out of our youngsters is reducing the effectiveness of our older players.

The snowball effect is massive and I find most criticism of our players a tad unfair on that basis.

We need our senior bodies back asap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson