Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 20458 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
No point fans hanging Daisy and Wright for boo-boos last night, prior to last night they've been holding the team together.

Kerridge got plenty of the ball but had another bad disposal week.

Anyone else notice the poke at Simmo by the commentators, I think it was Ling or BT, someone like that. BTs an idiot as proven on the broadcast, but when Simmo kicked to himself they called it like it was, another empty disposal efficiency stat making his figures look better than they really were! Unfortunately it's the truth, even with all those kicks to himself that count as a 100% DE stat Simmo only went at 67%! He's had 16 kicks, about half of them to himself!

SoJ played well, but before people pump up his tyres about a midfield role, how often did SoJ actually start in the center? He was often at stoppages around the ground but not in the centre bounce very often, in fact hardly at all!

The votes on the AFL website must go purely of stats and DE, because there is now way Simmo, Kerridge and Weitering were not in our top 5. Kreuzer and Charlie Yes, Fisher, Ed and Jones should have been.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
One more thing - that jumper looked like stonewash denim. Awful.

Too busy by far but that is often the nature of indigenous art - unless you are close enough to see the detail.

However, I was very impressed with the portrayal of the CFC emblem.

Reply #47
I liked the kit I thought it was far better than some of our alternative strips, and I loved the painted boots, there should be more of it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Too busy by far but that is often the nature of indigenous art - unless you are close enough to see the detail.

However, I was very impressed with the portrayal of the CFC emblem.

I didn't mind the look of the jumper but it could have been less busy.  The CFC emblem was very well done; a great representation of a canoe tree and boomerangs!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
I didn't mind the look of the jumper but it could have been less busy.  The CFC emblem was very well done; a great representation of a canoe tree and boomerangs!

Agreed, if the AFL wants to be recognised as an international game it needs to present itself with an Australian flavour, and these kits as alternatives are as good as any I've seen!

If Liddle is smart he'll come out or get someone at Carlton to come out and promote this as an idea before Sheedy takes the credit!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
No point fans hanging Daisy and Wright for boo-boos last night, prior to last night they've been holding the team together.

Anyone else notice the poke at Simmo by the commentators, I think it was Ling or BT, someone like that. BTs an idiot as proven on the broadcast, but when Simmo kicked to himself they called it like it was, another empty disposal efficiency stat making his figures look better than they really were! Unfortunately it's the truth, even with all those kicks to himself that count as a 100% DE stat Simmo only went at 67%! He's had 16 kicks, about half of them to himself!

SoJ played well, but before people pump up his tyres about a midfield role, how often did SoJ actually start in the center? He was often at stoppages around the ground but not in the centre bounce very often, in fact hardly at all!

I presume you're talking about when Simpson kicks to himself when kicking in after a behind, if so that doesn't count as a disposal (or a kick), because he hasn't actually disposed of the ball! Those are not included in DE

The votes on the AFL website must go purely of stats and DE, because there is now way Simmo, Kerridge and Weitering were not in our top 5. Kreuzer and Charlie Yes, Fisher, Ed and Jones should have been.

Reply #51
I thought Weitering looks like he's fined down a bit, lost the heavy legs and seemed a bit faster across the turf, had plenty of closing speed. Maybe previously he's been carrying an injury.

If not that, it's amazing the difference some confidence and a clarity of role makes! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
The kick ins don't count as a kick that's why they kick it to themselves and play on so when they do kick it it counts.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
The kick ins don't count as a kick that's why they kick it to themselves and play on so when they do kick it it counts.

What you say is true but I doubt that that is the primary reason that players do it.

Sydney manned the goal square with two players to largely nullify the effect of blocking the play-on and the change of direction that Simpson commonly uses.  I haven't seen that tactic before - it was very effective.

Reply #54

Kerridge did a fair job on Hannebury but ruined his game by atrocious disposal......Simpson and Thomas were able assistants in this area,  both had shockers.....agree though on Daisy and Wright....the former has been good this season and Matty Wright has been about as straight a kick as anyone in the AFL.....both looked a bit slow last night.

Reply #55

I not sure that is totally correct, it may be differentiated from the kick count, but if they fork up the kick to themselves it definitely counts as a Clanger. Like when someone steps out of the square kicking to themselves!

If it didn't count as contributing stat you couldn't have it counting as a clanger either, you can't have it both ways or else the stats are worthless!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Thomas has had a great year but last night, especially the 3rd qtr, won't be adding to his year.

His first half was good but after half time he played like someone had spiked his Gatorade, he's got some runs on the board this season though so I wouldn't be hanging him just yet.
SPS, O'Brien, Cunningham and Dow were all very quiet to half time, Dow and SPS lifted a bit in the second half and O'Brien has some nice skills but Cunningham has now played two poor ones in a row and might be in some trouble.
Lamb just isn't any good, Garlett may or may not make the grade but Lamb definitely won't so we'd be better off playing Garlett.
We gave it our best shot but the skill errors kill us time and time again.
Bolton should show Dow the footage of his attempted pass to Silvagni on the boundary and point out to him that midfielders are allowed to kick goals themselves, he's only a kid and he'll learn but it was a glaring mistake.
Jones was our best I thought.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57
From the AFL site

When a player kicks the ball back into play after an opposition behind. Kick-ins are regarded as a function of the team and do not count as kicks, although they are similarly graded for quality.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #58
From the AFL site
When a player kicks the ball back into play after an opposition behind. Kick-ins are regarded as a function of the team and do not count as kicks, although they are similarly graded for quality.

Isn't that the point I was making, and they made on a broadcast?

It's an empty disposal that contributes to DE! Like when they kick to themselves, then pass the ball barley 15m to a guy in the pocket, that is one kick stat but two effective disposals.

What is the point of the kicking to yourself running 3m and kicking the ball another 10 or 15m, it just wastes 5 or 10s and telegraphs your intentions to the opposition!

If you are going to kick the short pass into the pocket, then why not just kick the short pass straight away and then feck off up the field providing an option?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
A question, we are on the bottom of the ladder, with little to gain from playing injured players.

Yet we sent Cripps out there not fully fit!

WTF is our club thinking, it says it plans and is implementing long term strategies yet that is clearly a short term decision! No wonder our fans are confused and disgruntled!

Sames goes for Kreuzer, I watched him last night and he clearly isn't fully fit but he's a warrior.

Anyway, they have a couple of weeks off now, so they have time to get sorted, but they could also have had three weeks off and hit the last part of the season in fine fettle!
The Force Awakens!