Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood (Read 16541 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #45
Given our curse with injuries I was pleased with our boys performance.
To lose (displace in Rowe's case) your bookends before the bounce is a tough gig every day of the week. Not to mention losing another 2 key players, limiting us to 60 rotations. The challenge couldn't have been greater. I was proud of the way our leaders rallied the troops (Well perhaps not all of them. A few were MIA) to fight till the end.

Crippa and Charlie were outstanding. Say no more.

Ed, Simmo, Jonesy, and Daisy led by example. Super effort.

Sam Rowe managed to pull off an amazing feat. Playing forward with a minutes notice. Then switching to the ruck at a minutes notice. He held his own for the most part and did it with g & d until the end.. take a bow Sam. You did the club proud.

Mat Kennedy finally got an injury free run. He showed  enough to suggest he'll be a great partner for Crippa.

Samo started well but seemed to fade a bit. Fish was a bit quiet by his already high standards. How cool was his little don't argue!. O'Brein's running is a weapon. Looking forward to see him add more strings to his bow. Dow was in it for much longer and geez he goes in fearlessly and is improving his DE. Young Polson ran hard and attacked with intent. Still work in progress though.

Weiters had a solid game. Progressing slowly but surely.  As is Jack. Loved his run down tackle late in the game.

Matty Wright was unusually inaccurate. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

Garlett "nearly" 2 goals early on. That could have knocked the wind out of their sails... Hopefully he nails those in time and builds a 4q game.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
Curno-fide-lenko?

No. I reckon Charlie Curnow is fine.

fide and lenko , as good as they were are yesterdays men.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #47

Yep. Charlie is his own man and will be an absolute star in his own right.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #48
Some forking moron at the Post-Match presser asked BB what he thought about the jumper clash.

I didn't think anyone could find a way to make BT appear intelligent, but they have, which just about sums up the modern AFL media! ;)

That is one moment that actually has made me miss MM!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
The media reporting on this game is strange,  apparently Pendles was BOG, and the pies accounted for a spiteful Carlton after a spray.

FMD,  if Peddles was tagging he was flogged,  and Grundy (and the entire midfield) took a long time to get on top considering there was no ruck opposition.  Hoskin-Elliot and Stephenson,  yes they kicked goals on a couple of crabs, but so they should have.

I want to know what " Mr Clean " Pendles did to make him a target,  and thought that the pies' less feted players such as Howe and Phillips did the real damage.

Morale of story,  don't read the small paper for footy reporting.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50

Absolutely!

And while I’m at it, can we now put to bed the idea of Charlie playing in the midfield?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
The media reporting on this game is strange,  apparently Pendles was BOG, and the pies accounted for a spiteful Carlton after a spray.

FMD,  if Peddles was tagging he was flogged,  and Grundy (and the entire midfield) took a long time to get on top considering there was no ruck opposition.  Hoskin-Elliot and Stephenson,  yes they kicked goals on a couple of crabs, but so they should have.

I want to know what " Mr Clean " Pendles did to make him a target,  and thought that the pies' less feted players such as Howe and Phillips did the real damage.

Indeed. Pendlebury wasn't in the top 5, in my own opinion.
According to Mick Malthouse, Cripps was best by some margin. That was on the ABC. He gave Charlie 3rd votes.

There was a spiteful game alright, but we were not the aggressors: Taylor Adams started the big brawl and Collingwood tried to physically intimidate us from the start. It didn't work.
If we had Casboult, Plowman and Kreuzer, we would have won!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #52
If we had Casboult, Plowman and Kreuzer, we would have won!

I initially thought the very same, but....

Perhaps Kreuzer was a loss, he was having far more influence than Grundy despite Grundy winning taps.

I'm not sure the others were that much of a loss, we may actually have been better because of their absence. I had Rowe among our best as an influential player despite his lack of possessions, I doubt that would have happened if the others were out there! In some ways we got an insight into the positive effects and influence of work-rate and aggression. Would either of the two outs had the same influence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
According to AFL Media's Riley Beveridge:
1. Captain Fantastic leads from the front
Scott Pendlebury was used as a tagger the last time Collingwood played Carlton. But on Sunday, the Magpies skipper was let off the leash and was back to his best. Delivering a typically classy performance, Pendlebury made the difference out of the middle of the ground. A cut above every time the ball was in dispute, his quick hands and composure with the footy was the defining factor in an otherwise scrappy encounter. He finished with 29 disposals, a goal and a goal assist in his side's 20-point win. He was well and truly the cream on top for Collingwood in a trying, yet satisfying victory.

I’d have Pendlebury in Collingwood’s best, behind Sidebottom, Grundy, Phillips and probably Howe.  His performance was certainly nowhere near that of Cripps or Charlie Curnow and it’s arguable that Simpson’s performance was superior.

Beveridge’s over the top praise of Pendlebury is one of his 5 talking points.  Two others are equally poor; the one about us looking at potential first picks in the draft and the drivel about the “jumper clash”.  Clearly, AFL Media doesn’t employ an editor or anyone responsible for content  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54
According to AFL Media's Riley Beveridge:
Beveridge’s over the top praise of Pendlebury is one of his 5 talking points.  Two others are equally poor; the one about us looking at potential first picks in the draft and the drivel about the “jumper clash”.  Clearly, AFL Media doesn’t employ an editor or anyone responsible for content  >:(

Is Beveridge an AFL employee or a syndication from a broadcaster?

The "Jumper Clash" question sounds to me like a "Dorothy Dixer", I suspect Beveridge might be on the one of the TV broadcasters payrolls and his written content is just syndicated. Because no AFL employee would seriously pose that question about a Carlton / Collingwood game and expect to have a long career! You cannot ask loaded questions and expect respect, it's too transparently provocative! That question was clearly asked with motive!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Was sitting in the Auskick seats yesterday and was a bit distracted by the young fella telling me how nervous he was.  (As an aside, Gil was also sitting in the same section, as he had a kid playing at halftime as well).

I don't know if 18 is Mullet and 24 is O'Shea - they are interchangeable for me as they are plants from other clubs to keep us down the bottom of the ladder.  We were even told as much from N. Melbourne.  I thought that if you delisted a player, the replacement should improve the side.

While we put in a much better effort and our pressure was generally very good, we were beaten by a long way - 10 more scores is a lot.  It did seem that a lot more of the ball was in their forward line.

There was a hit on SPS after the first or second goal of the third quarter, that had him winded on the ground and missing a bit of the play that he could have influenced.  You can see him and opponent going back to the centre square for the bounce, next you see he is on the ground, and he wouldn't have tripped over his feet.

I thought that Dow did some really good things with second efforts and around the ball, Polson is fast and can tackle pretty well given his size.  Just needs to learn how to get the footy - wouldn't have got it too often.

Our second or third goal of the game was great - moved the ball quickly down the guts and only 4 or 5 players touched it.

Kreuz's first quarter was excellent.  As more press comes out this week for Simmo's 300th (this is the first game that I have wanted to go to because it is a milestone game, but got a non-negotiable Wiggles concert) and say that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves compared to the other 300 gamers at the Blues - he still provides heaps and we have to remember that we would need to replace him with someone who is going to be better.  We don't have that yet.

While it has been pointed out that Jones was too loose on some occassions, he is becoming more confident and working out when to mark or punch.  His kick in the first across the ground, straight to a Collingwood player was nothing unusual to see from our backline!

We got within 14 points in the last, the ball was in our fifty, we had a chance to put a bit pressure to keep it in and it got out due to Rowe not quite being up to it - I thought that we needed to kick a goal from that inside 50 - and was dirty on Rowe.  I have to admit I didn't really notice what he actually had to do in the game, so will excuse him retrospectively.

Hopefully the effort will be repeated for the rest of the season.  If it is, there should be some reward.

Reply #56
Got to laugh with the media.

Sen discussing this morning the similarities with Blues in 2018 and Hawks of 2005.

Last week we were a basket case without hope or future and no one could see what we were building.... a week later we are headed for a 3 peat  ;D 

Reply #57

Prof , I had Cripps BOG but I had Pendlebury as Collingwoods best player...both had 29 possies but Cripps three goals gave him the edge however Pendlebury is a player you need to watch because a lot of his half touches/tap ons end up with Collingwood players, he is a class act and held their midfield together...Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom get the kudos but Pendlebury never wastes a possie and the only mistake he made all day was getting caught on the boundary by Dow late in the game..
The other stat that caught my eye was clearances.....Pendlebury had 4 but he kept Cripps to 7 which Collingwood would take as a win given our man is usually double figures plus......Cripps went at 82%DE and Pendlebury @86%......the three goals was what gave Cripps the BOG IMo but the Collingwood captain hurt us every time he got the footy...

Reply #58
Not much said about it but Weitering looked confident and settled. I have a soft spot for him but Cox is no easy match up and reckon our boy took the points.

Intercepted well, found front position whenever he had the time to and took a few nice grabs higher up the ground. Played smart and looks to be back in good form.

Amazing what a little confidence can do.

Also like what Kennedy brings when he is fit - he is not quick but he seems to avoid getting caught when working in close and has good hands to dish the ball out.

Looks like a good pick up and don't forget still a kid too just looks like an older player - wait till he has 3 seasons or 50-60 games under him. Confident in what i see with him - Have high hopes

Reply #59
I agree Paul that Pendlebury was good but  BOG, no, no way.  I though Grundy was good as well, but he should have fair dinkum dominated given what he was up against and really his influence wasn't that great.

I thought Howe really stymied us (because we had no forward structure) and Phillips was very damaging.  As EB said, H-E and that Stephenson lad finished well against weak opposition.

I thought Bolton had one of his better weeks coaching... got his message across to the fans and players, and came with a plan which the players executed.  A bit more polish and luck and it may have been epic.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?