Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 21051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Even in that first game where he kicked 4 goals, McKay didn't look convincing. I think 3 of them were from free kicks, and 2 of those were 50/50 frees.
I'm going to give credit where it's due, 4 goals is 4 goals, but he has hardly set the world on fire in his game overall. Problem for us is, there is no one to give him an example of how he should be playing. That presents the conundrum of playing him in the 1s to learn his craft, even though he is not performing in all areas of his game, or leaving him in the 2s to learn there, and to make him realise he needs to work harder.

I suspect that there is more than form involved in the decision about whether to play McKay in the 1s. I suspect he has been told he needs to work harder, and that maybe he isnt. Whatever the KPI he has been told to work on is, I suspect thats whats keeping him out.

Reply #61
Even in that first game where he kicked 4 goals, McKay didn't look convincing. I think 3 of them were from free kicks, and 2 of those were 50/50 frees.
I'm going to give credit where it's due, 4 goals is 4 goals, but he has hardly set the world on fire in his game overall. Problem for us is, there is no one to give him an example of how he should be playing. That presents the conundrum of playing him in the 1s to learn his craft, even though he is not performing in all areas of his game, or leaving him in the 2s to learn there, and to make him realise he needs to work harder.

I suspect that there is more than form involved in the decision about whether to play McKay in the 1s. I suspect he has been told he needs to work harder, and that maybe he isnt. Whatever the KPI he has been told to work on is, I suspect thats whats keeping him out.

No one is saying he set the world on fire nor that he should so do, but like all the other 'kids', he needs exposure to the game at the highest level.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
Tackles are not a very useful stat when a player lets their opponent run off them, or when they offer a single effort.

McKay has a cheap goal mentality, fans pump up his two goals a game but they are not like Jack Riewoldt or Josh Kennedy getting two goals a game. McKay's are cheapies, you do not see him doing 3 or 4 consecutive repeat leads across the top of the square like Riewoldt or Kennedy, but McKay has that level of mobility in him and he could have far more impact by working hard to bring team-mates into the game instead of feasting off them! The work rate from Riewoldt and Kennedy creates a structure that small forwards and mids can operate within, that is what will deliver some positive game results for Carlton!
Spin!

If you tackle someone they're not running off you as you've caught them. He was taking a contested mark or two most weeks and hitting the scoreboard. He hasn't been around like Kennedy or Reiwoldt yet. How was Kennedy in his first 3 years here? All he lacks is confidence. Not sure he'll be getting that playing VFL. I'd give him a bit more of a run in the ruck than we do just for the sake of him of letting run around freely, following the ball and taking a few marks. Touches give confidence. It was something that worked alot better for Levi, and probably others at other clubs, so I suggest we do the same here. It's a damn tough gig before a forward on our forward line if you're stuck there so more runs on the ball can only help. Fraser does that more in the VFL than the AFL.

Reply #63
Spin!

If you tackle someone they're not running off you as you've caught them. He was taking a contested mark or two most weeks and hitting the scoreboard. He hasn't been around like Kennedy or Reiwoldt yet. How was Kennedy in his first 3 years here? All he lacks is confidence. Not sure he'll be getting that playing VFL. I'd give him a bit more of a run in the ruck than we do just for the sake of him of letting run around freely, following the ball and taking a few marks. Touches give confidence. It was something that worked alot better for Levi, and probably others at other clubs, so I suggest we do the same here. It's a damn tough gig before a forward on our forward line if you're stuck there so more runs on the ball can only help. Fraser does that more in the VFL than the AFL.

I'm arguing why McKay isn't getting a game now, and you are telling me how good he might be in the future, but at an immediate cost!

It might work better for Levi, running around being free in the ruck, but it doesn't work out well for the team and just half a game of Rowe doing the same job highlighted that a couple of weeks ago! An uncomfortable fact for some but it was blatantly obvious to many! ;)

As a club, and a club is made up of many players, we can't keep flogging the team for the benefit of one! We will end up losing too many players, and we won't attract the the types we need! As Spock said,

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few!"

Pick one Levi or McKay, we cannot carry two!

btw., You must be aware that in the VFL they mostly ruck Kerr not McKay, and for that matter they ruck De Koning ahead of McKay as well, because Kerr and De Koning are far more effective! In weeks past that put McKay in 5th place for the ruck rotations, behind Phillips, Lobbe, De Koning and Kerr! ;) So you want the guy traveling in clear 5th place in the 2s ruck to come up and be the 2IC ruck in the 1s, it would be faster to just go out there and kick Kreuzer and the mids in the face than have them die by a thousand cuts!

McKay deserves his run in the 1s as much as SoJ deserved his run in the midfield, and how long did that experiment last, now SoJ is a HBF! Talk about pulling the trigger early, that's about as positive as I can get! :o

Like SoJ in the midfield, McKay needs months or even a season in the 2s to sort out his KPP problems, anything less is desperation and rolling the dice! To me it borders Carlton on being unprofessional! McKay has had a taste of AFL, but I haven't seen him doing the team things consistently, he doesn't have to play AFL to learn that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
I agree with a lot of that LP.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Big H gets a call up this week  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
Yep, you make plenty of good points, Spotted One. H is coming along much slower than our other tall prospects... no accident Kerr was retained in the seniors when H went back to the Magoos. Kerr and DK seem more instinctual as tall forwards at this stage. The only question is, re H, when will the penny drop?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #66
In: Kreuzer, Thomas, Marchbank, O'Brien

Out: Garlett (ankle), Dow (managed), Casboult (omitted), Mullett (omitted)

Reply #67
Two ruckman and one key forward again. How many times has that worked for us. Must be close to zero. Both a terrible forward, a prerequisite of playing two rucks. Backline is way too tall against a side that can run.

Levi had to be dropped, struggled badly since he got injured. Therefore Mckay should be in if Kerr is still injured. Why are they making McKay do so much to play when other bananas get picked at the drop of a hat often. This week he had to play no matter what.

MC is hopeless at times.

Reply #68
In: Kreuzer, Thomas, Marchbank, O'Brien

Out: Garlett (ankle), Dow (managed), Casboult (omitted), Mullett (omitted)

that's an upgrade from all angles.

can't play Cas, Kreuz & Philips in the same team, and it's good to see form rewarded.

Marchbank is so much better than Mullett it's not funny.  He might need a week to get his game fitness up, but he's clearly best 22.  Same with Daisy at the moment, believe it or not.

A rest won't hurt Paddy, and Garlett is hurt, but I think L'OB is a good kid, and probably produces about the same as Garlett anyway, or maybe a touch more, even in his first year.

Reply #69
McKay?
Polson?
I can't see us winning this frankly.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #70
that's an upgrade from all angles.

can't play Cas, Kreuz & Philips in the same team, and it's good to see form rewarded.

Marchbank is so much better than Mullett it's not funny.  He might need a week to get his game fitness up, but he's clearly best 22.  Same with Daisy at the moment, believe it or not.

A rest won't hurt Paddy, and Garlett is hurt, but I think L'OB is a good kid, and probably produces about the same as Garlett anyway, or maybe a touch more, even in his first year.

You can't play all 3 in the same team but seeing one is always going to be forward you actually pick a forward, especially when your rucks are no good there. Harsh on Phillips but the ruck position is like the Test wicketkeeper, only room for one.

Great having Marchbank back but we are so tall now in defence.

Reply #71
McKay?
Polson?
I can't see us winning this frankly.

It was never really a winnable game, given recent form, home ground etc., irrespective of any ins or outs.

I don't mind the team selection to be honest. Krooz and Philips as rotating tall forward / ruckman is not too bad. Dow deserves a rest, and Levi and "Stunned" deserve to be dropped.

Reply #72
Two ruckman and one key forward again. How many times has that worked for us. Must be close to zero. Both a terrible forward, a prerequisite of playing two rucks. Backline is way too tall against a side that can run.

Levi had to be dropped, struggled badly since he got injured... in 2012 ;) ;). Therefore Mckay should be in if Kerr is still injured. Why are they making McKay do so much to play when other bananas get picked at the drop of a hat often. This week he had to play no matter what.

MC is hopeless at times.

Couldn't resist... just jokes, LAJ Old Son...  ;) ;) :) :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
Must be more to the McKay story and his requirements than is obvious to us.

I don't mind them holding players to different standards than others as long as those standards and the reasons for them are clearly explained and understood by the player and also to a certain extent by his team-mates...it doesn't necessarily have to be clear to us.

Of course that then leaves it open to speculation.
But what's a forum for? ;)