Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 16: Northern Blues vs Werribee at Werribee (Read 9090 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 16: Northern Blues vs Werribee at Werribee

Reply #30
Agree....but we cant add anymore Auskick kids to what we already have....
its not rocket science we need bigger bodies and no more Auskickers...

How to shatter my young fella's dream!  He reckons he's ready for next year...

Reply #31
Jesse Palmer kicked 5 on the weekend.

Ive been very impressed by this guy.

Ex Port (Played 3 games, kicked 1 goal) and is a great size at 188 and 86 kg (wiki).  Turns 22 shortly.

Looks like the type of bloke who was cut due to lack of opportunity rather than lack of ability.

I also like Sam Fisher too, but he is a bit small.  Still whenever I have seen both these guys I have been impressed by their ability to make good decisions and dispose of the ball under fire.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Dont agree with needing Kerridge back. He is exactly the player we need to replace if we want to improve not one to bring into a team like ours.

Yes he has the fitness, yes he is a bigger body but he is as unreliable a kick as anyone and this wont improve - he turns its over in the worst spots and hence why crows let him go.  We cant keep going down the same track and expecting a different outcome.

Above everything else our number one area needing major improvement is getting blokes in who are smart footballers and with at least average - good ball when in possession. We have way too many sub standard users.

Need another clean out - Oshea, Kerridge, Graham, Mullet, Shaw, Casboult, Lamb, Garlett and Rowe are all sub standard and im sure I missed some. 

And once the above are added to players that we are unlikely to cut such as Ed Curnow, Jones, Polson, Marchbank, Kennedy etc, it doesn't leave many we have that are AFL standard with ball in hand.

I think with Kerridge we tend to talk at cross purposes.  Yes he is a limited player and butchers the ball.  He is not the future unless he can improve his disposal (history tells us not too many do at his stage of development), improve his disposal efficiency by taking the safe option all the time (which limits his impact, but might at least limit his clanger/turnover count) and/or play a role where he is giving value despite limited possessions - eg tagger and/or big body to get crunched to spare others and/or do some crunching himself (both of which he has the tank and strength for).  But he is value in my view in the present simply because he can provide that bigger body and big tank.  Played within his limitations - and they are considerable limitations - he can do a valuable role for this team IMHO.

Reply #33
Carazzo improved his disposal infinitely,  in hoping Kerridge's can do the same.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
We need bigger, stronger, nastier.....

I recall that as the membership slogan from ‘99 or was it nastier, hungrier, harder.

Bears the crap if they can smell what we are cooking.

Those were the days.....

Reply #35
Carazzo improved his disposal infinitely,  in hoping Kerridge's can do the same.

Yes on his left side, but he still missed targets on his right foot far too often!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36

If he could do that he would be a handy player to have on the list.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37

Agree. He did improve a little on last year's disposal horror show. If he can improve again, he would be valuable as he can find the aggot and doesn't take short steps.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
Agree. He did improve a little on last year's disposal horror show. If he can improve again, he would be valuable as he can find the aggot and doesn't take short steps.

Yep. He can be quite a physical player and we don't have an over-abundance of those.

Reply #39
I recall that as the membership slogan from ‘99 or was it nastier, hungrier, harder.

Bears the crap if they can smell what we are cooking.

Those were the days.....
I loved 2011 "No passengers" now they are all passengers with no one driving the bus! ????

Reply #40
I loved 2011 "No passengers" now they are all passengers with no one driving the bus! ????

I actually came across an old membership hat 5 minutes ago (the kids were playing with it) and it had 'no passengers' on it. I laughed, then sighed.  :-[

Reply #41
I used to have the "No Passengers" sticker on the rear window of my Troopie 11 seater. Served two purposes of course but became an embarrassment (the sticker not the Troopie).  :(

Reply #42

Short memories my fellows....

Kerridge's efforts in the back end of 2017 were better than both Gibbs and Murphy. Better numbers, better DE.

That he didn't play rd 1 this year - and BB kept playing skinny kids - was just another example of the misguided, bloody mindedness of the match committee....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
Short memories my fellows....

Kerridge's efforts in the back end of 2017 were better than both Gibbs and Murphy. Better numbers, better DE.

That he didn't play rd 1 this year - and BB kept playing skinny kids - was just another example of the misguided, bloody mindedness of the match committee....

I guess my memory goes back further to his fumbling turnover merchant period and that is what is ingrained in my mind. A few games where he showed improvement somehow have not yet compensated!  ???

Reply #44
I think Kerridge has been unfairly criticised for poor disposal and it's worth comparing his stats with those of Simmo for example.

However, I don't think that he is the future, apart from providing depth and some cover for our kids.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball