Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 48674 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #285
...and go back and look at those same 'previous' drafts only a year or 2 after they occured, and all of those players were 100+ game players too.

We thought we'd never have to draft a KPP again after we got Watson, Mitchell and McCarthy in the same draft!  :-[

Nope.  I disagree.  only our number one draft picks looked like 100+ gamers (and Mitch) the rest were all question marks and when we traded Kennedy I wasn't sold on him.  Hampson was never convincing.  Our rookies looked good but our draftees....

I thought Lucas would make it, but I was wrong.

The rest... Hampson, rohan Kerr, Watson, vjojo rainbow,  Temay,  Marcus davies, McCarthy,  Mitchell....  None of them showed even half the requisite ability to be an afl player.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #286
Nope.  I disagree.  only our number one draft picks looked like 100+ gamers (and Mitch) the rest were all question marks and when we traded Kennedy I wasn't sold on him.  Hampson was never convincing.  Our rookies looked good but our draftees....

I thought Lucas would make it, but I was wrong.

The rest... Hampson, rohan Kerr, Watson, vjojo rainbow,  Temay,  Marcus davies, McCarthy,  Mitchell....  None of them showed even half the requisite ability to be an afl player.

Thats your opinion, and it differs from mine.

Kennedy, IMO, showed more than a lot of the blokes we have now.

Going back through the archives, i'm sure you'll find plenty of people extremely positive about most, if not all of those names.

Reply #287
Temay....caused dismay when drafted.   Never looked like making it. Awful pick.

We've had more hits than normally credited with: for example

Robinson,  Holman,  Gowers were later picks who can play.... Just not with us. All 100 gamers (or should be).

Russell, Yarran and Grigg hundred gamers. One a premiership player.

Of the misses:

Bootsma.  Never had attitude to make it, failed the no d!ckheads test. Badly compromised draft year.

I thought Dale looked OK,  lovely kick. Perhaps too lightly framed.

Left footed half back from SA with booming kick could play but foot injuries stuffed him,  ditto MacCarthy. MacCarthy looked as good as good as Scharenberg early on before injury.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #288
Thats your opinion, and it differs from mine.

Kennedy, IMO, showed more than a lot of the blokes we have now.

Going back through the archives, i'm sure you'll find plenty of people extremely positive about most, if not all of those names.

Hand on your heart.  How many of our previous draftees look like they belong?

I was selective with the names I wrote.

I picked the blokes who look like they belong.

Not guys like o brien and Cunningham who have the tools but there are questions over.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #289
We thought we'd never have to draft a KPP again after we got Watson, Mitchell and McCarthy in the same draft!  :-[

Mmmm... pass me the baby oil... ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #290
Hand on your heart.  How many of our previous draftees look like they belong?

I was selective with the names I wrote.

I picked the blokes who look like they belong.

Not guys like o brien and Cunningham who have the tools but there are questions over.

It doesn't matter what i think it matters what people who watched these kids in the U18's etc thought.

I remember some talk pre-draft abouth those kids.....which i just searched for from knightmare...
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2010-mock-draft.768543/
#18 (Carlton) – Matt Watson (VIC)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 101kg, DOB: 16/07/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Michael Hurley/ Brian Lake
Likely destinations: 18-31
Why: Reads the play well. Strong mark overhead, has a thumping left foot and is a big readymade key position defender who can also play forward. Good enough to contribute from season one. Might get a little exposed on the lead with his slight lack of leg speed but otherwise I like Watson allot. In style really reminds me of Brian Lake with the way he provides good rebound from defence though that is a very generous comparison and it will be allot harder to dominate players physically as he did at U18 level. He will get every opportunity to have the near immediate impact that Michael Hurley did for Essendon a couple of years ago. Might play a couple of games in season one but expect from probably season two for Watson to really push for a position in this side.
We got him at 18.

#23 (Geelong) – Patrick McCarthy (SA)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 11/03/1992
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style: Grant Birchall/ Ben Reid
Range: 11-23
Why: Key position defender. Clean hands and feet. Provides some run out of defence. Displays real leadership and could later on be captain material. Hasn’t always played as a backman and was once a ruckman so I see allot of development still once he learns the position. Has a skinny frame but he should add to that with time. One criticism of McCarthy when I have seen him down back is that he has the feel of an oversized half back flanker in the way Grant Birchall does for Hawthorn. Maybe when he develops more physically hopefully he can turn into something more like Collingwood’s Ben Reid which would be the hope. With Scarlett surely nearing the end of his career McCarthy could be a good long term replacement.
We got him at pick 34. Potential top round pick, we got at 34.

#47 (Richmond) - Luke Mitchell (VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 28/2/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Jonathan Brown
Range: 26-late[
Why: Very strong overhead as well as on the lead. Powerfully built so maybe some questions on upside. Kicking can be a little off but once he gets it going can kick allot of goals. Missed the start of the season due to injury and came back mid way through to have some very strong games including a very strong TAC Cup Grand Final for the second year in a row which I’m sure will reflect favourably! Some think he might still go 1st round or very close to it but I think his draft range is a little more open than that. /quote]
We got him at 42.

We got 3 potentially 1st round KPPs.

The year after missing out on Talia for Lucas.

We were over the moon.
 :-[

Reply #291
FMD I was just getting over those shmucks, thanks guys ::)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #292
FMD I was just getting over those shmucks, thanks guys ::)

I reckon those recruiters must have really hated Ratten - almost seems like a plan to recruit so many failures. 2 KPF and KPD who came to nothing. Mitchell and McCarthy 1 game each. Watson 23 games.

Oh well............

Reply #293
Plus McInnes who went later in that draft who looked a gun before blowing his knee, and Nick Duigan who was a damn fine player. 

We were cursed in that period.

Reply #294
I reckon those recruiters must have really hated Ratten - almost seems like a plan to recruit so many failures. 2 KPF and KPD who came to nothing. Mitchell and McCarthy 1 game each. Watson 23 games.

Oh well............
And later, Tom Farken Temay, Dillon Somewhere over the Rainbow. both 0 games. Its was a nightmare.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #295
Plus McInnes who went later in that draft who looked a gun before blowing his knee, and Nick Duigan who was a damn fine player. 

We were cursed in that period.

Duigan was a good footballer and clubman, we should be looking at the State Leagues like the SANFL for more Duigan's who can play as well as guide our kids....and when I say State League players I mean hard nosed tough hombres who can play round 1 not  feather dusters like Boekhorst....

Reply #297
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwcCpa2Ag
Indeed
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #298
I swore in front of my elderly mother when we drafted Temay,  but it was a dud draft.

Reply #299
I swore in front of my elderly mother when we drafted Temay,  but it was a dud draft.

Had his sights on life after footy did Tom Temay and wasnt as sold on a footy career as you need to be....doing very well in the Corporate Property World as a Market Analyst for a fancy Collins St
Property Company....