Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 26475 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 23: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #105
Yes,  must be told specific areas to improve in, which then become non negotiable KPIs for reappointment. Reading the critiques of his match day coaching in this forum provides a starting point of some issues to address.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #106
Bolton should be subject to a ruthless end of season review to justify his position ... brutal, but needed nonetheless

Not just Bolton - the entire club. We need to get the mob that did the Pies and Tigers audits in the last couple of years. Given the turn around in those two clubs, that company seems to know what they're doing.

Reply #107
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/by-the-numbers-inefficient-blues-blow-it

CARLTON'S triple-digit defeat to Adelaide on Saturday night will go down as one of the most woefully inefficient performances since the turn of the century.

The Blues' third loss of the season by more than 100 points came despite them winning inside 50s (61-54), clearances (37-30), contested possessions (144-128) and hit-outs (36-34). 

The Blues were the only team this year to win the inside 50s and lose by 100 points and also to win contested possessions and suffer a triple-digit defeat, as well as becoming the second to win clearances and lose by that margin.

Carlton was also the first team in 90 matches since 2002 to go down by 100 points or more despite having an inside 50 advantage.

The last time a side lost by at least 100 points but won the inside 50s was coincidentally the Crows in round four, 2000, when West Coast beat them by 114 points but had five fewer inside 50s.

"It's disappointing," Bolton said after the 104-point hiding at Adelaide's hands.

"We win the inside 50s, funnily enough, in a big loss. Clearly, there's some issues with efficiency.

"We turned the ball over far too much – some ordinary decisions. We've got a lot of work to do in that space."

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #108

Winning the clearances and the CP's is basically down to Cripps. Winning the I50's is an indication that however clumsily or haphazardly, the ball is getting to where we need it to be. It's not as if we're trapped in our back half the whole game. But that's where it ends IMO. Just too many skill errors, turnovers, bad decision making, lack of pressure etc.

The Crows scored 13 goals from stoppages. That's terrible. Little wonder Clarke was shown the door.

Reply #109

Anyone with a modicum of intellect, a fraction of interest in football and had watched even one Carlton game could tell you our ball use is deplorable. If they had watched us over several years they would be able to tell you it hadn't improved despite changing three senior coaches!

It's bizarre that professional sports journalists write such stories like they are a revelation!

Also note this week, Caro and her band of merry followers are beating the pavement offer all Carlton fans and the AFL their considerable advice on why our club has blown the rebuild! SOS and The Judge are clearly the target of this vitriol, it must be a slow news week or there is something requiring a distraction like a Nthmond or Pies player on the dope!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Winning the clearances and the CP's is basically down to Cripps. Winning the I50's is an indication that however clumsily or haphazardly, the ball is getting to where we need it to be. It's not as if we're trapped in our back half the whole game. But that's where it ends IMO. Just too many skill errors, turnovers, bad decision making, lack of pressure etc.

The Crows scored 13 goals from stoppages. That's terrible. Little wonder Clarke was shown the door.

But the quality of the I50 is exactly the problem.....they are garbage, no system no plan, no structure.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #111
But the quality of the I50 is exactly the problem.....they are garbage, no system no plan, no structure.

Maybe it's the quality of the system/structure? ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #112
Anyone with a modicum of intellect, a fraction of interest in football and had watched even one Carlton game could tell you our ball use is deplorable. If they had watched us over several years they would be able to tell you it hadn't improved despite changing three senior coaches!

In terms of this particular game, 13 opposition goals from clearances tells me it's more than just ball use and movement.

IMO, we saved our worst performance for last, and clearly, the season that was a death by a thousand cuts reached its nadir.

Reply #113

No doubt it's an issue, but it's a team wide issue. Not either the ball deliverer or ball receiver. They're both culpable at various times. I think people automatically assume the mids delivery is crap and the forwards are blameless. I think it's more complicated than that.

Reply #114
No doubt it's an issue, but it's a team wide issue. Not either the ball deliverer or ball receiver. They're both culpable at various times. I think people automatically assume the mids delivery is crap and the forwards are blameless. I think it's more complicated than that.
Indeed.
[1] Our forwards rarely lead. They don't because nobody kicks it to them on the lead. However, nobody lowers their eyes if nobody leads.
[2] Our small forwards don't get crumbs and don't keep pressure on the opposition, so the ball comes out too easily.
[3] Our forwards don't make room for each other, so there is little space for any of them to move into.
[4] We move the ball very slowly, so there is usually a mismatch as to numbers and not in our favour.
[5] Our skills are poor, so we often turn the ball over, and get caught out on the fast rebound.
[6] Our small forward in particular appear to be very slow.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #115
I did notice in the last game that TDK was often in the same area as McKay, and not really impacting the contest much.
I think McKay and Curnow had started working well together inside 50, after getting playing time together in the back half of the season.
No knock on TDK... it will just take time to integrate effectively, and probably a bit longer because there are 3 guys to be aware of each other, rather than 2.

I also think such an unsettled line-up this year (form and injuries) means that it again takes longer for players to learn each others game.

Hopefully next year we will have a 22 that is regularly available and playing together. That will give us the 'synergy' that Bolts is always talking about.

Reply #116
Nice post tfib.

Reply #117

Not at all. The movement out of the backline - whether that the FB or the HBF line is terrible. That's the start of it....though there have been patches when we have moved it quickly.

Other than skill, the game today is all about speed.... if you don't use it quickly, you're stuffed....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
Not at all. The movement out of the backline - whether that the FB or the HBF line is terrible. That's the start of it....though there have been patches when we have moved it quickly.

Other than skill, the game today is all about speed.... if you don't use it quickly, you're stuffed....

The two are related. Moving the ball at speed without a turnover requires great skill and coordination between team mates. We've tried many times this season to move the ball quickly, but the required skill and coordination on game day simply isn't there.

You can bet London to a brick that the players complete ball movement drills beautifully at training.

Reply #119

We try use the corridor a lot and get burnt on the turnover.

I don't think it's fair to blame an under siege backline.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson