Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23928 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #150
"Murphy doubtful" may not necessarily be a result of that collision last week.
Even before that I was wondering if he'd been carrying an injury both games.

sMurph was playing pretty well before he got smashed last week, but afterwards he couldn't hit a barn with a zepplin!

Interesting all the pre-game chat about Kennedy then we name O'Biren instead, I'd expect Kennedy to come in rather than us bring Garlett back.

Bit surprised Marchbank comes in, is he going to run with Buddy?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
sMurph was playing pretty well before he got smashed last week, but after wards he couldn't hit a barn with a zepplin!

Interesting all the pre-game chat about Kennedy then we name O'Biren instead, I'd expect Kennedy to come in rather than us bring Garlett back.

Bit surprised Marchbank comes in, is he going to run with Buddy?

Nah at quarter time I said he was rubbish by good players standards.

Who do we play on J Lloyd? Very important player for them - can't be left to his own devices.

Cameron polson. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #152
Interesting comments about Cotchin in Round 1 not being very effective even though not tagged....got the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches Association Award meaning both coaches thought he was BOG.

Reply #153
Interesting comments about Cotchin in Round 1 not being very effective even though not tagged....got the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches Association Award meaning both coaches thought he was BOG.

Yes there seems to be some fan effect, are we biased in some subtle way? ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154

Cotchin had one of those games that wasn't flashy, but is his usual best self.  He throws his body in when required, and does the team things really well.  Statistically he was in the top handful, but he is a death by a thousand cuts type player so often goes unnoticed.

We were discussing with a Richmond supporter with us, and the concensus was that the 3 should go to Cotchin for Round 1.  2 to either of Cripps or Martin, and the other one will get the 1.  Given the Tigers won, Cripps will get 1 vote.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #155
I have a feeling Marchy wont play and SOS will come in.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #156
Cotchin had one of those games that wasn't flashy, but is his usual best self.  He throws his body in when required, and does the team things really well.  Statistically he was in the top handful, but he is a death by a thousand cuts type player so often goes unnoticed.

We were discussing with a Richmond supporter with us, and the concensus was that the 3 should go to Cotchin for Round 1.  2 to either of Cripps or Martin, and the other one will get the 1.  Given the Tigers won, Cripps will get 1 vote.

I agree about Cotchin, he played a Hodge type game, him being the Captain is a bonus, not sure he was BoG though.

Don't agree about Dusty, I thought he as average at best, well below his best. I wouldn't have even had him in their top 5!

I thought Nankervis was BoG, he also had "a presence" and was all over the ground as much if not more than Cotchin. Lambert was pretty good when it mattered, as was Houli and Edwards.

Back onto this weeks game, I'm not sure those changes help us much. None of the three inclusions, Levi, Marchbank and O'Brien, are what you would call physical, and the Swans are mostly gritty physical types.

Maybe we are going to run them off their feet with our silky skills?

Excuse me while I head on the back to slap myself! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
If Murphy goes out I'd rather see Kennedy come in. Sydney aren't in the best form but Cripps will be up against some of the best inside players in the game in Kennedy/Parker and will need some help if the first two rounds are anything to go by.

Reply #158
If Murphy goes out I'd rather see Kennedy come in. Sydney aren't in the best form but Cripps will be up against some of the best inside players in the game in Kennedy/Parker and will need some help if the first two rounds are anything to go by.

I agree, if nothing else but to help preserve Cripps a little, it's a long season.

I thought Setterfield has been OK so far, I'd like to see a rotation with Setterfield and Kennedy in tandem with sMurph, leaving Cripps with Ed and Samo. I think the inside game of Setterfield and Cripps are too much alike to be in their side-by-side, to me it doesn't feel balanced.

If we want Setterfield to progress we have to be a little precautionary about how heavily he is loaded, as you state Swans will be a huge test. Also look at the Swans Ins, all 90kg types, they are planning to beat up on our kids.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159
I agree, if nothing else but to help preserve Cripps a little, it's a long season.

I thought Setterfield has been OK so far, I'd like to see a rotation with Setterfield and Kennedy in tandem with sMurph, leaving Cripps with Ed and Samo. I think the inside game of Setterfield and Cripps are too much alike to be in their side-by-side, to me it doesn't feel balanced.

If we want Setterfield to progress we have to be a little precautionary about how heavily he is loaded, as you state Swans will be a huge test. Also look at the Swans Ins, all 90kg types, they are planning to beat up on our kids.

Setterfield was used to sit on Rockliff in the 2nd half of the Port game and I reckon he might get another role like that....Kennedy should be in the team IMO anyway.....

Reply #160
Setterfield was used to sit on Rockliff in the 2nd half of the Port game and I reckon he might get another role like that....Kennedy should be in the team IMO anyway.....

If Kennedy is fit and firing then I am puzzled as to why he is not being selected, I thought we got him to give Cripps a chop out??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #161

I too thought Setterfield did a good job on Rockliff, but I think Setterfield was even better value before we turned him into a tagger.

I have to question our tactics EB1. Why waste Setterfield tagging, a player who wins inside football and distributes it well, yet leave Ed Curnow floundering in the F50 as an ineffective distributer or F50 target?

It didn't make sense to me, have I missed something?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
If Kennedy is fit and firing then I am puzzled as to why he is not being selected, I thought we got him to give Cripps a chop out??

Agree....Kennedy has been unfit since arriving and that game for the NB's last week is about the best he has moved and played since coming across
from GWS. We know how Sydney play and we were ordinary last week around the ball even though Port had Wines out and Wingard now at Hawthorn.
No brainer IMO that this game would suit Kennedy and I'd be playing him while he is fit and firing...

Reply #163
No brainer IMO that this game would suit Kennedy and I'd be playing him while he is fit and firing...

History suggests we'll wait until his VFL form bottoms out then give him a trial run against Collingwood! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164

I assume that Bolton would have picked Kennedy if he was available. However, the other assumption is that the guru, Andrew Russell has deemed him NQR to be promoted. If we believe that Russell is the fitness real deal, then it makes sense that we support his recommendation.