Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats (Read 18819 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs the Drug Cheats

Reply #45
Exactly LP! And then we're relying on Walsh, who's played 10 games of footy, to be our next best midfielder.

Said it in another thread....throw the kitchen sink at Coniglio if he's a Free Agent.

Reply #46
So why isn't Crippa blocking for his little mate? Cripps should be dropped. ;D ;D

GTC...Because Cripps is being blocked, sat on, punched in the ribs, handcuffed, assaulted and has to carry about 10 other players
on his shoulders and like Judd is at breaking point.

SOS got the kids he wanted but didnt pick the support team to help them, ...after thoughts like Mullet, OShea, Shaw Lang, Garlett, Kennedy etc havent cut it...

Reply #47
I have to pose this question, given Cripps is mostly traveling solo, and Fisher and SPS are getting beaten up week in and week out.

Why has Ed been kiboshed from the midfield, and why hasn't Charlie been given a run?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Agreed LP....hard to fathom why we'd try and fashion Ed into a defensive forward at this stage of his career when his best work has always been as a run with/lock down player. I remember some of his best games running with and tagging Selwood into submission and to the point where Selwood snapped. We've got Gibbons and Cunningham and brought in Fasolo but if we're plugging holes with Ed then it's an admission the other ones aren't working out.

That said, I'm a fan of Gibbons and he's been worth the punt. Cunningham shows a bit....when he's not injured.

Reply #49
GTC...Because Cripps is being blocked, sat on, punched in the ribs, handcuffed, assaulted and has to carry about 10 other players

SOS got the kids he wanted but didnt pick the support team to help them, ...after thoughts like Mullet, OShea, Shaw Lang, Garlett, Kennedy etc havent cut it...

Couldn't get them unfortunately. He did explain on Footy Classified that quite a few were basically VFL players but were big bodies needed to have around as the kids developed. Never full time. Reckon Kennedy will go ok once he gets a run at it. Biggest issue is the inability to attract a big bodied big name. That was the plan and couldn't get it to come to pass.

Reply #50
I have to pose this question, given Cripps is mostly traveling solo, and Fisher and SPS are getting beaten up week in and week out.

Why has Ed been kiboshed from the midfield, and why hasn't Charlie been given a run?

Some might point the finger at the coaching box...the Ed move forward hasnt been a rip roaring success and has robbed the midfield, given the success of Debeor you have to wonder
why Ed hasnt been recalled to that role earlier. I noted we let Gresham of Stkilda run around all day on his own unmanned and I thought he was a major factor, think he had 29 possies and while I dont expect Bolton to be across every opposing move and every player cutting us up I do expect his support coaches to be doing their job and how Barker and Bruce are  still occupying stoppages/midfield coaching roles is beyond me?....very slow on the uptake are both of them.

Reply #51
.............while I dont expect Bolton to be across every opposing move and every player cutting us up I do expect his support coaches to be doing their job and how Barker and Bruce are  still occupying stoppages/midfield coaching roles is beyond me?....very slow on the uptake are both of them.

I've had a lot of time for Barker in the past, but this season has really stretched my patience given the obvious persistence with losing midfield strategies and the toll that takes on Cripps.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Cripps is heading home and we are doing to him what Wet Toast did to Judd, it really is that bad!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
I've had a lot of time for Barker in the past, but this season has really stretched my patience given the obvious persistence with losing midfield strategies and the toll that takes on Cripps.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Cripps is heading home and we are doing to him what Wet Toast did to Judd, it really is that bad!

We are going to have to come up with a super deal to keep him IMO.....he is a good loyal clubman and would take less than the top market rate
but we would need to be in the range and have some decent support on the list to help him so he could see a future.
Of course the relationship with Bolton might be a factor, seems very loyal to his coach much like Cunnington is with Scott, the club have a lot of thinking to do...

Reply #53
Agreed EB....the Gresham one was blindingly obvious. No disrespect to Gresham but it's not like he's an A-Grade midfielder but he was getting the ball at will and more often than not, on his own. Hopefully it's not someone like Merrett doing it to us this week.

Reply #54
Of course the relationship with Bolton might be a factor, seems very loyal to his coach much like Cunnington is with Scott, the club have a lot of thinking to do...

Are you sure, I've read here changing the coach is allegedly a free hit without any negatives?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
I don't think Cripps will be driven by $$$ to be honest. If he's busted his @rse for Carlton for 7 years and we're still anchored to the bottom of the ladder, then he'll be looking to be a part of some team success and West Coast will be far more open to offering him that than we are. If that happened we'd just have to hope the compensation pick could get us something at the Trade Table.

Reply #56
I don't think Cripps will be driven by $$$ to be honest. If he's busted his @rse for Carlton for 7 years and we're still anchored to the bottom of the ladder, then he'll be looking to be a part of some team success and West Coast will be far more open to offering him that than we are. If that happened we'd just have to hope the compensation pick could get us something at the Trade Table.

He seems like an old timer, but in reality he hasn't even reached his peak yet, with an injury free run it is coming in about 2 or 3 years!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Are you sure, I've read here changing the coach is allegedly a free hit without any negatives?

I'm sure Bolton has a good relationship with many players and you will get some upset who might want to
leave or arc up but you do whats good for the club as a whole..if its required.

Reply #58
I'm sure Bolton has a good relationship with many players and you will get some upset who might want to
leave or arc up but you do whats good for the club as a whole..if its required.

That's the way most players would see it.
I think it's probably drilled into them from the moment they join a club that the club is bigger than the individual.

Cripps and Bolton seemed genuinely connected after the Bulldogs win.
I suspect they probably have a good relationship, but we really have no idea the strength of that relationship.
Stay with a group of mates you've developed a close friendship or follow the coach out the door should he get the boot?
I'd guess the former, but I could be wrong.

Reply #59

I was being facetious.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time