Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 17834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #75

Fair enough, makes sense then as he at least gives effort.....
Lang injured too?....maybe it was the heavy rain....

Probably a problem with his backbone?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #76
Here we go again. Not at all sure I like the team, but ...

CARLTON
B: Nic Newman, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
HB: Caleb Marchbank, Levi Casboult, Dale Thomas
C: Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps, David Cuningham
HF: Michael Gibbons, Charlie Curnow, Lochie O'Brien
F: Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay, Ed Curnow
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Walsh, Zac Fisher
Int: Kade Simpson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Paddy Dow, Jack Silvagni

EMG: Angus Schumacher, Matthew Lobbe, Matthew Kennedy, Cameron Polson

IN: Dale Thomas, Lochie O'Brien, Mitch McGovern, Kade Simpson

OUT: Alex Fasolo (Omitted), Liam Stocker (Injured), Matthew Kennedy (Omitted), Darcy Lang (Injured)

Lang lucky to be injured this time; saves him from being dropped.
I would not have brought in O'Brien; his form hasn't deserved it.

BRISBANE LIONS
B: Luke Hodge, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich
HB: Alex Witherden, Darcy Gardiner, Noah Answerth
C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Charles Cameron, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor
R: Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons
Int: Nick Robertson, Jacob Allison, Rhys Mathieson, Archie Smith

EMG: Ben Keays, Allen Christensen, Josh Walker, Oscar McInerney

IN: Jacob Allison

OUT: Ben Keays (Omitted)

Martin, Robinson and Zorko usually have great games against us. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #77
Those three behinds he kicked from 8 possessions EB must've really taken it out of him

Reply #78
The Docherty interview re Teague on the CFC makes for very interesting listening. Less meetings, less strategies, simple messages.   Maybe we’ve been ‘overtaught!’

It's certainly one possibility. I'd be very curious to know where Bolton's coaching sits compared to other coaches on the "over coaching" spectrum. This could be one of those urban myths that arise to explain a poor W/L. I suspect he learned a fair bit from the Hawks and if there was over coaching, then maybe it's because of the number of kids on the list. Bolton did say he was wary of over coaching someone like Walsh, so I suspect this is getting legs without too much reason.

In my view, the emphasis on strategy and meetings is to equip the kids to think for themselves. Which is much better than just giving them rote instructions. It's the difference between a university education, which is knowledge based, and a TAFE education, which is skills based.

It's basically a "better in the long term" approach, which is what I thought the club wanted.

Reply #79
Watched the tape again and Setterfield was much better than I originally thought.  At least kicks the ball into positions from which we can score. I wonder if his knee is really 100 percent.   I reckon he is worth persisting with but of the outs, Stocker was due a break but the others won't be missed
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #80
@ Paul

Yes mate we all have to be very careful when making assumptions and drawing conclusions. ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #81
@ Paul

Yes mate we all have to be very careful when making assumptions and drawing conclusions. ;)

Luckily, there's no fear of me doing that.

Reply #82
Will be going this week to give Teague support in very trying circumstances.

I'm not expecting miracles but maybe a different approach which offers hope for the future.

If Bolton were still coach after that disgraceful, humiliating display last weekend, I would not be going again this year.

Reply #83
Watched the tape again and Setterfield was much better than I originally thought.  At least kicks the ball into positions from which we can score. I wonder if his knee is really 100 percent.   I reckon he is worth persisting with but of the outs, Stocker was due a break but the others won't be missed
Problem is, apart from Crippa and Kruze, he is the only one who seems to put his nose right over it and show some kent towards the opposition. As Maclure said, I wouldnt play with the rest.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #85
Those three behinds he kicked from 8 possessions EB must've really taken it out of him

Yep Surfie...he really knocked himself out trying to get a kick and looked real
upset at missing those goals..not.
Think he knows its lights out at seasons end and he is just taking it easy.

Reply #86
Luckily, there's no fear of me doing that.

:)) :)) :)) well done, if I read that comment correctly you had a good-natured dig at yourself.  :))

Oh, and the 'over-coaching' knock on BB went back a couple of years. When I see 'over-coaching' I think 'control freak'. It's a fine line between the didactic and simply letting young blokes find out through experience, through letting them 'strut their stuff', make the mistakes on the paddock and correct them on the paddock.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
I'm going this week.  I have no expectations.

O'Brien playing dismissed any idea we would get up this week as he is just not ready yet for afl footy.

I think we'll continue where we left with Bolton.  A couple of good quarters, one so so quarter and one where we seem just not present.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #88

Setterfield is the best out of the GWS debacle and will give you a contest...needs to be in the middle with Cripps, Stocker will be good value but needs some decent mature player support.

Reply #89
Setterfield is the best out of the GWS debacle and will give you a contest...needs to be in the middle with Cripps, Stocker will be good value but needs some decent mature player support.

Agree.