Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston (Read 7505 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston

Reply #16
We got there, by 17 points!

Northern Blues 14 - 15 - 99
Coburg 13 - 4 - 82
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Goddard was great, must be in contention at some stage. His marking was excellent. DeKoning has put on some beef and looks very solid. Phillips was also very good both on the ball and up forward. Garlett was flashy, Polson was his normal self...nothing much. Great to see Johnston on the park. Kerr was sent down back for the last quarter, no great influence at either end.

If I was Teague and the MC, I’d do a real development job on DeKoning and leave him in the NBs for the rest of the year to perfect his craft because he looks the ‘raw’ goods. Phillips can cover if Kreuzer goes down and Kerr can step up if there is a need in the forward line.  nB development and a big, uninterrupted preseason and then we release ‘The King’! 

Reply #18
Always enjoy it when the the AFL and VFL teams win. Well done NB's.

Reply #19
Goddard has been a good for a few weeks in a row now and must be close, bit hard to fit him in though with the Bolt performing well and Jones due back..

Reply #20
Great to see Johnson in the winning circle.
Hugh Goddard seems to be doing everything he can to debut. Perseverance has a way of paying back.
Similarly pleased for big Flipper.

Congratulations to the ????????????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #21
Any idea why we reverted to the bullant in the vfl this week instead of the cfc logo?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Any idea why we reverted to the bullant in the vfl this week instead of the cfc logo?

Just guessing here - something to do with Teague ? He coached them when they were called the Bullants. But no, I don't really know.

EDIT : Nothing to do with DT. It was the club's Heritage round.

Reply #24
The highlights of Cottrell - he looks a likely type. 19 pos and 2 goals is a good return. I saw him a few weeks ago and he looked very scratchy. Hopefully he gets better from here. Excellent runner and only 19. Could be a handy SOS selection if he keeps up this progress.

Reply #25
NORTHERN BLUES         3.4       6.6     10.12       14.15       (99)
COBURG LIONS              1.0       6.2          7.3         13.4        (82)

GOALS: Phillips 3, Brazier 2, Cottrell 2, Palmer 2, Fisher, Kennedy, Kerr, Owies, Polson
BESTS: Goddard, Kennedy, O’Rourke, Fasolo, Cottrell, Garlett

DISPOSALS: Kennedy 30, O'Rourke 23, Goddard 22, Fasolo 20, Lobbe 20, Cottrell 19, Fisher 19.

Very nice to see Cottrell mentioned for the 1st time.
Also a nice surprise to see Garlett getting a mention. Hopefully he can respond to the change of management. I doubt it, but I can hope.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
The highlights of Cottrell - he looks a likely type. 19 pos and 2 goals is a good return. I saw him a few weeks ago and he looked very scratchy. Hopefully he gets better from here. Excellent runner and only 19. Could be a handy SOS selection if he keeps up this progress.

I thought that he was quite impressive in the games I have seen; goes hard, makes second and third efforts, and uses the ball well.  What’s not to like?

Of course, he’s still a long way off a senior spot but he could be challenger after a full pre-season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
I thought that he was quite impressive in the games I have seen; goes hard, makes second and third efforts, and uses the ball well.  What’s not to like?

Of course, he’s still a long way off a senior spot but he could be challenger after a full pre-season.

The couple of games I saw him play earlier in the year I thought he looked ok but was very quiet. 10-15 possessions so to see him making progress is great. We need to see more of our later picks putting their hand up.

So far we've seen modest progress from a lot of our later (non-mature) draftees like Macreadie, Lebois, Finbar, Kerr, BSOS and Polson. Jack and Williamson have been the 2 best by quite a long way.

Reply #28

Agree, has grown a bit as well, has good agility, reach and is certainly aggressive. Sticks tackles OK, and will only get better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
I'd still like Matt Kennedy to be given the opportunities at senior level that Dow and LOB get.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!