Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 15: Carlton vs. Freo (Read 19130 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 15: Carlton vs. Freo

Reply #105
And just on the 2019 Hawks. Their best is easily top 4 quality IMO. They just have too many lapses.

Our best is easily top 4 quality....so what?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
It's hard to argue. Putting Ed onto Fyfe didn't work so he swung SOS onto him and Jack played a cracker.

Setterfield into the back pocket was effective.

Walsh in the forward flank / pocket was also successful (though he missed 2 gettable goals).

Kennedy in the Josh Caddy role was a masterstroke - 2 vital goals.

None of these type of moves was a hallmark of the Bolton era.

But far from rocket science. Kennedy debuted and kicked three playing such a role...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #107
The club website has footage of Murphy’s match-winning goal with commentary from different broadcasters.  Their reactions are interesting but the footage is very informative.

Kreuzer brings the ball down from a boundary throw in just outside our 50.  Murphy gets a foot to the ball and sends it to Gibbons.  Gibbons kicks the ball off the ground to Casboult who shrugs off tacklers and gets a handball to Fisher.  Fisher doesn’t take possession but hits the ball to Murphy who sells the dummy and nails the shot at goal.  Casboult, Gibbons and Fisher all played their part but Murphy, who covered 40m and read the play to perfection, was outstanding.

That play epitomises what makes Murphy one of the best players to pull on the navy blue in the 21st century.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #108
Where's flyboy ? He was at the game and I was looking forward to reading his report.

Yes well, I left with 7 minutes to go  :-[ :-[ :-[

We decided it was best to beat the rabid Freo hordes given train is the only way in and the only way out.

Summation - slippery day given the earlier rain and bits of rain during the game (very little really),

Freo smashed us in Q1 then they fell asleep essentially.

The skill level - from both sides was simply disgraceful - missing targets from 20m away (under no pressure) consistently.

Hosptal hand passes, etc etc.

Fyfe was dynamite in Q1 and to a lesser extent Q2. Walters MIA (not sure if anyone from CFC can take  credit for his performance)

Great job by SOJ.

Kreuzer was fantastic. Ditto Levi, Marchy and Jones.

Dow's kicking still extremely embarrassing. Laughable.

Kennedy and Setterfield did their bit.

SPS - good in patches. Still chooses....

Murph - didn't much notice him - but there was plenty of rugby scrum stuff all day....

Ed? Kept us in it.

McGovern - that miss early in the last shocking (where he played on on his left after marking 20m out).

All in all - they lost it more than we won it. Still, as they say. you can only beat the opposition on the day.

Final word - big confidence booster noting no Crippa, Big H, Charlie....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #109
Thanks flyboy. That's the impression I got from watching highlights and seeing bit of the match live. Good effort, but more good luck that we were ahead when the final siren went, the opposite of the bad luck we had earlier in the year.

Reply #110
Yes but they kept at it, that’s what is the most pleasing thing. They didn’t go into their shells and start kicking backwards and over complicating it - move the ball forward and keep it there!

Especially as yet again we’ve forgotten to start playing until we’re 5 goals down!

Wins bring confidence, however they come about!

I noticed a lot of slipping over by our guys, wrong shoes or what?

Reply #111
Yes but they kept at it, that’s what is the most pleasing thing. They didn’t go into their shells and start kicking backwards and over complicating it - move the ball forward and keep it there!

Especially as yet again we’ve forgotten to start playing until we’re 5 goals down!

Wins bring confidence, however they come about!

I noticed a lot of slipping over by our guys, wrong shoes or what?

That's the important thing - wins build confidence and belief and with those things will come better skills execution and tighter control over games. Let's not let old loyalties and axes to grind detract from our team's efforts  too much. Hopefully we can knock over the Dees this week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #112
I certainly liked how, given the conditions, they adopted a get the ball forward at all costs approach - and they stopped chipping it around in the back line! (or at leasyt if they did they got on with it!)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #113
Thanks flyboy. That's the impression I got from watching highlights and seeing bit of the match live. Good effort, but more good luck that we were ahead when the final siren went, the opposite of the bad luck we had earlier in the year.

Not luck at all.

Earlier in the year we cr@pped ourselves when we hit the front or folded under fair-dinkum pressure.

You make your own luck and when you've an aggressive attitude and application to offensive/defensive play, it can and does throw the opposition off to a degree - it clearly rattled the D1ckers. And that's what I saw after qtr time... our good moves of SOJ onto Fyffe and Ed hunting his own aggott and an aggressive/positive mind-set combined to create 'good luck'. Also results in more mistakes but if you anticipate these and suck it up, better skills will be created.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #114
That's the important thing - wins build confidence and belief and with those things will come better skills execution and tighter control over games. Let's not let old loyalties and axes to grind detract from our team's efforts  too much. Hopefully we can knock over the Dees this week.

Here here. Watched the game last night and it was scrappy and not a lot of great skill. Conditions probably had some things to do with it, but also they shut down Freo's run and locked the ball in our forward line in the second quarter which gave us chances to score, which we did. As commentators said we have done a good job of blocking all their exists which allowed us to lock the ball in our forward line. One case I can remember is I think Walters had the ball on the wing and just stood there for a few seconds because there was no-one free to kick to as everyone was covered. Everyone had moved back to block all their exits.

Reply #115
Not luck at all.

Earlier in the year we cr@pped ourselves when we hit the front or folded under fair-dinkum pressure.

You make your own luck and when you've an aggressive attitude and application to offensive/defensive play, it can and does throw the opposition off to a degree - it clearly rattled the D1ckers. And that's what I saw after qtr time... our good moves of SOJ onto Fyffe and Ed hunting his own aggott and an aggressive/positive mind-set combined to create 'good luck'. Also results in more mistakes but if you anticipate these and suck it up, better skills will be created.

No question that fast ball movement does not llow the defenders to get into their structures - again, not rocket science but some coaches seemingly can't work that simple one out....

(and sure, there are times where slow ball movement - they used to call it tempo footy? - should be played too)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #116
Not luck at all.

I'll take the win any day and every day, but I think some assessments of that game are very sugar coated. Ordinary skills, behind on the scoreboard most of the night, not turning up to play, as flyboy says, Freo lost it rather than the other way around. If the siren sounds 40 seconds earlier, if Murphy kicks a behind or OOF etc., the post game emotion and analysis is very different. Teague says so himself. Watch his post game presser. Apart from the final result, that's not how good teams go about it. Yes, I know it's early days, and I hope Teague smashes it, but we won't be troubling too many sides with that display.

Reply #117
I'll take the win any day and every day, but I think some assessments of that game are very sugar coated. Ordinary skills, behind on the scoreboard most of the night, not turning up to play, as flyboy says, Freo lost it rather than the other way around. If the siren sounds 40 seconds earlier, if Murphy kicks a behind or OOF etc., the post game emotion and analysis is very different. Teague says so himself. Watch his post game presser. Apart from the final result, that's not how good teams go about it. Yes, I know it's early days, and I hope Teague smashes it, but we won't be troubling too many sides with that display.

We've troubled 3 from 3 so far.

We are clearly playing a more dedicated brand of footy.
We were noncompetitive with Bolton, far too often.

Reply #118
I don't think that there would be too many thinking we are a good side yet.  But the ability to kick and gouge our way to some affirming wins is a good start based on what we've had to suffer for years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119

Only beaten 2 top 8 sides. Our game was Richmondesque, reverted that way when we lost Charlie. It meant if we couldn't get the ball into the 50 cleanly we got it in any which way we could then fought like crap with pressure to keep it there. Richmond won a flag with that style. Didn't look pretty but they soon got on top of their opposition with the constant pressure allowing more free scoring late. We got 5 goals in the last qtr allowing us to win.