Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 17517 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #75
What a complete and utter load of crap. You can't ascribe good and bad simply to suit your agenda. Bolton = the scapegoat that keeps on giving.

I think you're overreacting there. Of course DT inherited what he did, the previous bloke was there for years. BB inherited the MM stuff and had to 'change course'. Just logic that the new coach has to deal with the previous coach's strategies (or lack thereoff)... being too sensitive, Pauly, it aint personal.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
Baggers, apologies for my ill tempered tone earlier. That was uncalled for. But I think it's simply incorrect to blame the ex coach 10 weeks after he's gone whenever we put in a poor showing, and that applies whether it's Bolton or Attila the Hun

No problemo Pauly. To further clarify, I wasn't blaming BB for the loss. It took BB a year to overhaul the MM gameplan. It'll take the next coach of the CFC time to 'retrain' the players to his style. I was merely trying to point that out but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Reply #77
@Baggers

Baggers I honestly believe that we can put the majority of our current problems down to a few physically immature players, poor skill execution by too many, too much poor tackling allowing opposition players to break away and create damaging situations and poor decision making under pressure resulting in punishing turnovers.

Yep, it was men against boys in physically demanding conditions. As I mentioned in the game thread if tackles disrupt/hurt opponents, in that they are not able to continue on in the chain of play, a lot of what we saw at the weekend doesn't happen.

At the weekend our guys tackle and release opponents almost unhindered to continue in the chain of play while we get put out of the contest by being aggressively tackled, we are simply too easy to play against!

But it doesn't help that Nthmond can effectively and blatantly push opponents in the back time after time, tunnel taller marking opponents, and tackle opponents before they have the football, and get away with it. That is a consequence of Dimma's dribbling and whining about umpires being unfair to Nthmond, to be getting such a favorable run Dimma, Balme or other Nthmond coaches or officials must make the umpires weekly review a very miserable affair! Nthmond probably burden the umpires so heavily that they get the match day rub just so the umpires can avoid the Monday paperwork!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
The same thing haunts us today that has haunted us for the last 10 years.

A lack of composure under pressure.

You cannot teach it.  Some players get down and dirty and thrive in it, and others just cannot cope and panic and throw the ball on the boot.

Until we mature, it wont change.

I see that trend starting to change a little with the SOS band (my new term for the list build).

The best part of it is that players who stuff up seem immediately hell bent on atoning for it.

Our current plight is best summed up by one passage of play from early in the game.  Kick in.  Plowman goes to the pocket hits up Daisy.   Daisy passes it to Simpson who has it at half back.  Simpson elects to go inboard to the corridor to hit Setterfield.  Misses the target and a Richmond player standing inside the corridor of Setterfield is able to waltz into 50 and kick the goal quite easily.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #79
It took BB a year to overhaul the MM gameplan.

Bolton's best year was his first season so you're really sticking the boots in now. ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
Our current plight is best summed up by one passage of play from early in the game.  Kick in.  Plowman goes to the pocket hits up Daisy.   Daisy passes it to Simpson who has it at half back.  Simpson elects to go inboard to the corridor to hit Setterfield.  Misses the target and a Richmond player standing inside the corridor of Setterfield is able to waltz into 50 and kick the goal quite easily.

Yes I agree, it's the older heads that have become conditioned to the turnover. Most fans see the courageous intercept marks and other bits of glitter here or there, but our old heads are not reliable enough under pressure, they should be the ones steadying the ship, but they are actually the weak point.

But I do feel sorry for them, decades of losing does this to players, it's a big hole to climb out of!

Reality is, until they are gone, our chances of ultimate success will remain constrained.

One of the answers to the weekend is to have someone like Mitch Robinson or Jed Lamb out there, but that seems to be undesirable to our politically correct crew. We just accept a player like Riewoldt pummeling into one of our players backs without even going close to the ball, then it's play on!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
@Baggers

Baggers I honestly believe that we can put the majority of our current problems down to a few physically immature players, poor skill execution by too many, too much poor tackling allowing opposition players to break away and create damaging situations and poor decision making under pressure resulting in punishing turnovers. We have too many players atm that struggle to maintain any kind of composure under pressure. Teague's and SOS's immediate challenge is to rectify this by trading/recruiting more skilled mature players and existing player development. When these key areas have been addressed then the game plan, in game coaching moves and tactics will become critical factors for success. Until then we will continually dragged back - we can't really build until we get the foundations right.

Too true, Fluffy One, though I don't think we're far off. Unfortunately we also seem to take a passenger or 3 into games which is to be expected with our list rebuild probably still this year recruiting and next from being complete. We convert with those few shots on goal early in the last and the game could have been very different... which comes down to taking full advantage of your opportunities which we've both pointed out, as has DT.

Reply #82
Too true, Fluffy One, though I don't think we're far off. Unfortunately we also seem to take a passenger or 3 into games which is to be expected with our list rebuild probably still this year recruiting and next from being complete. We convert with those few shots on goal early in the last and the game could have been very different... which comes down to taking full advantage of your opportunities which we've both pointed out, as has DT.

Lang was horrendous yesterday, for me if we have a spot for that type of player it's either Lang or Fasolo, just one spot, and for me watching the VFL yesterday Fasolo should be well ahead of Lang. Fasolo actually puts his body on the line yesterday! I would have had him among our better players in the VFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Are we intending to make a statement about that last goal or simply shut up.  If it's good enough to call for a goal review then the same damned thing MUST apply to that.

Reply #84
Are we intending to make a statement about that last goal or simply shut up.  If it's good enough to call for a goal review then the same damned thing MUST apply to that.

Very good point, but technically the game is over when the umpire signals it's over not when the siren goes!

However, I bet if it had been Nthmond versus the Handbaggers or Dawks the commentary crew would be all over it, which is the disparity we have to live with! FMD, if it's the Filth playing BT will publish a drunken thesis on a stray fingernail in a goal review!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85
Lang was horrendous yesterday, for me if we have a spot for that type of player it's either Lang or Fasolo, just one spot, and for me watching the VFL yesterday Fasolo should be well ahead of Lang. Fasolo actually puts his body on the line yesterday! I would have had him among our better players in the VFL.

Agree, you'd think in a better team, or our team with a stronger midfield, Fas still offers value as a depth player.

Lang? Piss him off quickly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
Agree, you'd think in a better team, or our team with a stronger midfield, Fas still offers value as a depth player.

Lang? Piss him off quickly.

I'd delist both of them.......you think of Fazzy boy out there yesterday vs the Tigers...no thanks.

Reply #87
I'd delist both of them.......you think of Fazzy boy out there yesterday vs the Tigers...no thanks.

If there's a better alternative, sure I'd agree.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #88
No problemo Pauly. To further clarify, I wasn't blaming BB for the loss. It took BB a year to overhaul the MM gameplan. It'll take the next coach of the CFC time to 'retrain' the players to his style. I was merely trying to point that out but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I can't imagine there would be even one North supporter who would invoke Brad Scott's name after their game on Saturday night, and I see no reason why the same shouldn't apply to us. If the current crop of CFC coaches and players don't take 110% ownership of the good and the bad, then the club is worse off than I thought.

Reply #89

Agree. Both in the bin at years end.

Watched him closely yesterday and he plays like a bloke that is only there to collect his pay cheque and knows he won't be playing in the firsts.

Trots around like one of the blokes in the legend games that just retired.