Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #45
have you seen his brothers?

He'll fill out.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
We always get flogged last game. Year before down there it was a close one. Bar that game last year when we switched off for the year, no matter who we play we don't get flogged by anyone under Teague. So far that's included Richmond twice and the Eagles. Richmond both times got close after we gave away a massive headstart. They're better than Geelong. It's not that we are going badly generally, often going well, we are just going badly early and it's costing us.
Teague was coaching when they flooged us by 68pts
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Teague was coaching when they flogged us by 68pts

It was the wind what did it. All of a sudden now, it can't be the coach. And apparently, now honourable losses are ok for some, whereas before they were totally unacceptable.

As W.F Deedes would have said, "shurely shome mishtake."

Reply #48
It was the wind what did it. All of a sudden now, it can't be the coach. And apparently, now honourable losses are ok for some, whereas before they were totally unacceptable.

As W.F Deedes would have said, "shurely shome mishtake."

Yep. Excuses are over.

Everyone cut BB slack in his first two years. It was a 'rebuild' so he had a buffer. But just couldn't get us winning games.

But not the TT (Teague Train). We cut him slack when he took over and fair enough. He had a lot to learn, and quickly. But that was 2019.

The TT has publicly declared an emphasis on winning... that's the only acceptable outcome. To me that means no such thing as 'honourable losses' anymore. Full stop.

For a club that has stated that wins are the goal now, 0-2 is failure. Having the midfield turn up to the Melb game like a group of sloths on Valium is astonishing, especially as poor starts are a trend. How long from R1 did we have to work on that aspect of our game? I hope there has been some pretty intense discussions with the midfield/stoppage coaches.

An 'honourable' loss to the Pussycats will be unacceptable (let alone a shyte loss). No excuses. Only a win is acceptable.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
Losing = Failure !!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #50
My previous post was just me being a smart ar$e - it's not to be taken literally.

This idea that we are going to get a big jump in performance from Bolton to Teague is illusory, certainly in the short to medium term - just some supporters engaging in wishful thinking and going the early crow. We've all done it.

We still have too many issues across several areas to be taken seriously as a contender or a finals threat. Honourable losses and being competitive and jagging the odd win are the reality for now. Saying losses are unacceptable, won't be tolerated etc. are just pie-in-the-sky benchmarking IMO.

Reply #51
We do get the irony PaulP even if it's difficult to express in written words.

If only some more of our fans would look at "our club's good helpers" like McGuire and Dangerfield with the same scepticism as they apply to each other!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
My previous post was just me being a smart ar$e - it's not to be taken literally.

This idea that we are going to get a big jump in performance from Bolton to Teague is illusory, certainly in the short to medium term - just some supporters engaging in wishful thinking and going the early crow. We've all done it.

We still have too many issues across several areas to be taken seriously as a contender or a finals threat. Honourable losses and being competitive and jagging the odd win are the reality for now. Saying losses are unacceptable, won't be tolerated etc. are just pie-in-the-sky benchmarking IMO.

Hey, Pauly, there was merit in your 'sm@rt@rse' comments.

When the club declares it's now in the business of winning, and it loses, then we call them to account regardless of what we supporters think is reality.

If we are in the business of winning then 2020 must deliver more wins than loses and 2021 must see strong finals action. Delusional? Nuh. When we set winning as the benchmark (and not 'growth' or improvement only) then you must deliver. Things can change very, very quickly. There will be a tipping point and that has to be reached sooner rather than later.

FWIW, I still think we have a few passengers and hopefully, over this season they'll be weeded out to give us the best chance of 'winning'.

(As an aside, the sight of Simmo pulling the players aside last week and giving his talk was very disconcerting to me, he should have whispered in the ears of the skippers for them to deliver).

Reply #53
If we aren't being strictly measured against our stated target of winning then what is the incentive to win and how can we expect to ever start winning? Repeatedly failing means being held to account. Simple management. We must get it into the minds of the players what is expected and provide the guidance/tools/training etc. to achieve it. A bit of work still required yet - focus, focus, focus!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Hey, Pauly, there was merit in your 'sm@rt@rse' comments.

When the club declares it's now in the business of winning, and it loses, then we call them to account regardless of what we supporters think is reality.

If we are in the business of winning then 2020 must deliver more wins than loses and 2021 must see strong finals action. Delusional? Nuh. When we set winning as the benchmark (and not 'growth' or improvement only) then you must deliver. Things can change very, very quickly. There will be a tipping point and that has to be reached sooner rather than later.

FWIW, I still think we have a few passengers and hopefully, over this season they'll be weeded out to give us the best chance of 'winning'.

(As an aside, the sight of Simmo pulling the players aside last week and giving his talk was very disconcerting to me, he should have whispered in the ears of the skippers for them to deliver).

The point is, clubs and supporters can engage in as much tough talk, minimum standards and pronouncements as they want - until the reality matches the words, it's all hot air. Reality will continue to mock and laugh at us until that occurs. That could happen this weekend, or it could happen in 2025.

Reply #55
Suggestion from left field (well over the border!!) bring in Sam Ramsay to play on (run with) Ablett and lock down defender.  
cheers for now
Ab

Reply #56
The point is, clubs and supporters can engage in as much tough talk, minimum standards and pronouncements as they want - until the reality matches the words, it's all hot air. Reality will continue to mock and laugh at us until that occurs. That could happen this weekend, or it could happen in 2025.

You have to start somewhere, you must set a goal -- to quote the corny old saying, but nonetheless true -- that is within sight but a little out of reach. You achieve naught without vision and goals and mongrel persistence.

Words, even those full of hot air, set standards, set a measurement for accountability and measurement of progress.

You speak of the 'line in the sand' game that turned around the Dawks... started with strong words, words that challenged a group, words that challenged a group to create a new culture and not-negotiable standards. Never underestimate the power of words, Pauly.

Reply #57
You have to start somewhere, you must set a goal -- to quote the corny old saying, but nonetheless true -- that is within sight but a little out of reach. You achieve naught without vision and goals and mongrel persistence.

Words, even those full of hot air, set standards, set a measurement for accountability and measurement of progress.

You speak of the 'line in the sand' game that turned around the Dawks... started with strong words, words that challenged a group, words that challenged a group to create a new culture and not-negotiable standards. Never underestimate the power of words, Pauly.

I'm a big fan of the power of words, but saying "it's wins or nothing" is not an example of how to use words well, and it's not going to get the desired result. It's lazy, and amateurish to boot.

Reply #58
So what is this .... Defcon 1?

I don't think we have a hope in hell this weekend.  We are so deficient in so many areas, it's demoralising.  So dilute that down to the essence of the problem.  Who can take us forward?

Reply #59
Suggestion from left field (well over the border!!) bring in Sam Ramsay to play on (run with) Ablett and lock down defender.  
cheers for now
Ab

We dont listen to your kind from over the border here  :)  :)
I like the idea, cant hurt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time