Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 15154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #75
I like what Williamson could potentially be, but he's disappointing ATM. Attack on the contest hasn't been good enough and ball handling is hesitant and fumbly.

How long before Marchbank gets a run off half back?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #76
I like what Williamson could potentially be, but he's disappointing ATM. Attack on the contest hasn't been good enough and ball handling is hesitant and fumbly.

How long before Marchbank gets a run off half back?
Struggled all season for touch and confidence, I'm a fan but it's hard to pump up his tires the way he is fumbling and looking shaky. Said it before he looks thinner and that back injury recovery looks like he lost weight as part of the rehab and he gets pushed off the ball and outbodied.
Re:Marchbank.. more of a marking intercept type and his ability to stay on the park is a worry so I'm not sure he will be much better than Williamson given his history.
Like to see Williamson after another decent preseason and still think he can improve..

Reply #77
I thought the moment that Fyfe pinched the ball from Williamson was a telling moment and showed that his confidence is well down. You could see on replay Williamson catch sight of Fyfe in the corner of his eye a split second before taking full control of the ball. He panicked, fumbled and Fyfe just took it away from him. Having said that I still think he did some OK things and will come good if he can get some confidence back.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #78
All things considered, I will take this. Winners are grinners and we won against adversity, with a large portion of our 'better'players in the stands, not on the field.
[1] The deliberate out of bounds was there. That idiot just tapped the ball towards the line. Free Kick in any game.

[2] Brayshaw crashes into Docherty. The commentators can complain to Satan if they wish, but that is a free. He was taken down after he kicked the ball. Free down the field.
Docherty was lucky as that kick of his was a shocker and went on the full.

End of story on that.

Some of the other frees, especially those given early in the game, were pretty dubious. The frees to Taberner and Lobb in particular were shockers. I could go through others.

Since we've been in Perth we've been up against it. We've played with generally hostile crowds. The weather has not helped us. We generally play better when it is drier, especially our indigenous players. In the old days Eddie was usually at his quietest in the rain. We have so many of our name players unavailable and were down our 2 better ruckmen.
This was our first TV game win in more than 2 years.

Accept it and move on. Time to learn from it before we play the Gold Coast.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
i thought Willo has taken a few positive steps in the last few games...

The conditions were crapty last night and to a lesser extent against WCE.

No more fumbly than Doc quite frankly. Or Samo!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #80
What a game.

So happy we got gifted a 50/50 free kick that went our way.  Wish the media would focus on the first two goals for Freo, they came from free kicks that definitely weren’t there.

I liked how we were pressured but kept going - the HTB against Levi was a shocking call too.

Fyfe is a fantastic player but couldn’t be everywhere thankfully.

Think that kick by Newnes was amazing - the best I’ve seen, considering he also had to move the cameraman and his leads out of the way - what the hell was that about? Surely they have a protocol for that, shouldn’t be up to the player.

I love Willo he has something about him, I believe he’ll improve - definitely has the skills.

Doch is very lucky we’re not scrutinising his crap kick At the end!

Reply #81
Some extreme opinions on Murphy (both ways).
He's still accumulating the ball at a good rate.
His body (upper body in particular)  is probably pretty close to being a 'shot unit'
I blame that in a large part to some of the pathetic support he received from team-mates in his younger years.
My concerns with Murphy at the moment is his disposal (47% last night), especially by foot.
Some of his turnovers can be costly.
But last night he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.
Look at the Disposal Efficiency for everyone last night from the AFL stat site .... It's very poor (sure, weather was a factor)

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/2823#player-stats
(click on advanced stats to get the DEf)

(Edit-Probably easier to find here.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10264&advv=Y

Lod's I think that is it personally, if Murphy is going to play on, his disposal has to be better than it is, he has to be that nice ball user, and deliver and hurt the opposition. There is no reason he cannot do that. Higgins would have hit targets last night and we probably would be a goal or two better for having him deliver the ball.

Reply #82
I'm sorry I don't get it. Easy enough for armchair riders to say that last free kick wasn't there, the game was horrible etc etc.  The same umpire gave two previous similar decisions both against us so the warning was there and luckily or otherwise for us we got one at that last moment. The Freo player made the mistake, not the ump.

Both sides played boundry line footy. In the few times we tried to break away in the third we messed it up that last kick into the forward line, horribly. It wasn't the night for that. There was just no space all night, scrambly kicks went half their usual distance. Something about that salt laden rain made for that, last time we played in the rain in QLD we killed it. We were the better team and we played well to win even if, to some/most, it looked ugly. It wasn't to me.

Reply #83
Yep, sure did,
And so did the Herald Sun:
Carlton: Curnow, Cripps, Walsh, Murphy, Setterfield, Cottrell

And the Carlton Website:
Carlton: Curnow, Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Murphy, Setterfield

And The Age:
Carlton: Walsh, Cripps, E Curnow, Casboult, Murphy, Newnes

And the AFL Website:
Carlton: Curnow, Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Murphy, Setterfield

And Spanner:
Cripps is becoming a liability. Someone's been reading their own press me thinks. (Contribution?  24 disposals, 20 contested, 6 tackles, 4 centre clearances)
The power house Murphy led midfield is getting annihilated by a couple of 50 gamers. (Brayshaw, Cerra, Munday, Serong and Ffyfe all had less disposals, less centre clearances and only Ffyfe had more contested possessions. Collectively they had 1 centre clearances between them!!)
Nice work Marc, nice work (Contribution?  20 disposals, 13 contested, 3 tackles, 2 centre clearances)

Now that's where the LOL belongs!!! (BTW, sorry to disappoint you, but WE WON!!)
And this my friends is the definition re-writing history. If the game of AFL was all about stats padding and cheap possessions like kicking sideways and backwards Marc would be the king amongst kings.

Sadly for Marc and you I suppose, is the game requires a little bit more fortitude and resilience when things get tough. Something your best friend Marc lacks all too often. Go back and watch the game without your stats sheet or your commentators bullsh!+ write ups that they do straight after the game, by going over those very stat sheets you rely on to mount your case.

It's farcical anyone can state that he had a good game. You're one of the very people who are taken in by this type propaganda. Have you ever had an original thought on your own, or are you solely at the mercy of trash stats and commentator write ups? Yeah, thought so... LOL!
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #84
Re:Murphy... I didn't notice him for good or bad when I saw his stats I was surprised he had 20 disposals.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #85
Did Kennedy get injured?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
Re:DE.. in those conditions just get the ball moving forward. Ed Curnow had the right idea just get it and kick it our way.
Freo went handball happy at one stage and kept losing control of the ball.
Fyfe seemed a level above in those conditions but was sent forward, strange move imo. Terrible game to watch until the last kick and that was the only bit of disposal efficiency that mattered.

You’re right EB, the conditions were very poor for most of the game and I imagine that Teague’s instructions would have been to gain territory with every disposal.  Most of our players were hacking the ball forward during periods of heavy rain and there were turnovers as a result.  That’s OK if we can then set up defensively and we were able to do that quite well most of the time. 

While it wasn’t a great spectacle, I still found it to be an entertaining game between two fairly evenly matched teams, even if inexplicable umpiring decisions (and non-decisions) gave Fremantle a leg up.  The down the ground free to Newnes was one occasion when an umpire got it right  :)

Despite the commentators drooling over Freo’s midfield, it was Curnow, Cripps, Murphy and Walsh that got on top and set up the win.  Plowman’s work on Fyffe was critical too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #87
Well there's the argument in a nutshell.  You can't quantify "hurt factor", maybe DE approximates it.   If you get it,  to be effective you have to use it properly....moving to the the advantage of the team mate/team.

BTW, our overall DE was horrible,  a damning stat that says plenty.
Horrible conditions, high pressure from the oppo (and umps).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88
Re:DE.. in those conditions just get the ball moving forward. Ed Curnow had the right idea just get it and kick it our way.
Freo went handball happy at one stage and kept losing control of the ball.
Fyfe seemed a level above in those conditions but was sent forward, strange move imo. Terrible game to watch until the last kick and that was the only bit of disposal efficiency that mattered.
Happy to win ugly/terrible. The fact we stayed in it and never ever gave up is HUGE for me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
Plowman’s work on Fyffe was critical too.
Absolutely. Plow gets a fair amount of criticism week in week out but yesterday he was very good and it went unnoticed. Good call DJC