Skip to main content
Topic: Community Cup Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9349 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Community Cup Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #75
112-99, 23 minute mark of the last.

Reply #76
118-99, 25 minute mark. Reckon the Saints have it now.

Reply #78
Full time. Saints 125 Carlton 99.

Kicking nearly 100 points with injuries and non contributors - there's enough to work with and enough signs IMO.

Reply #79
Saad playing on Higgins?

Who can tell.

He's spent time marking him.
Just then they had Oscar McDonald defending him inside defensive 50.

Quiet achiever of the night.
Lachie Fogarty, 14 touches, 7 tackles (game high).

Reply #80
224 points in a game of footy. Sheesh.

Reply #81
Coulda been a lot worse given how we played, as Pauly said, plenty to work with. Looked a lot rustier than last week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
Our rock solid defence has some worries after tonight.

Weiters returned, but i don't think is right.
Newman is already out.
Marchy is still out.
Stocker....still unsighted largely.
Plowman played out the game but might not be right.
SPS copped a corkie late, but his issue was not fitness related.
Doc got plenty of it, and gave plenty of it up. Not what we expect from him.
Willo....still does not impress me. DIdn't do much wrong, didn't do much worthy of praise.
Saad....if you wanna put him there, is fine. He is a winger more than a defender for me.
Setterfield spent time back and was solid without being spectacular. Still needs to be a bit quicker to dispose of it on occasions but ok.

Reply #83
Our ruck solid defence has some worries after tonight.

Weiters returned, but i don't think is right.
Newman is already out.
Marchy is still out.
Stocker....still unsighted largely.
Plowman played out the game but might not be right.
SPS copped a corkie late, but his issue was not fitness related.
Doc got plenty of it, and gave plenty of it up. Not what we expect from him.
Willo....still does not impress me. DIdn't do much wrong, didn't do much worthy of praise.
Saad....if you wanna put him there, is fine. He is a winger more than a defender for me.
Setterfield spent time back and was solid without being spectacular. Still needs to be a bit quicker to dispose of it on occasions but ok. quote]

Ed

Reply #84
All you want to hear from these games is that the kids are improving, the senior blokes get through unscathed and look like they're going to have a good year and that we play some decent footy.

Wins aren't important right now.

Our stars don't have to dominate.

The worst is hearing about weiters, McKay and plowman going down.

Thats a spine that leaves us very fragile.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #85
Cripps - Very quiet by his lofty standards and played like he had a fair bit of rust in the tank.
Cuningham - A couple of nice moves and a lovely goal but he really doesn't impact
Curnow - Bad game. Not sure who he was on and whether he impacted their game but had very little impact for us.
Docherty - Very concerned with his form at the moment
Dow - Not as good as last week, but good enough to get a game round one I think
Fisher - Love watching this kid. Certainly has an X factor. I think he's in for a good year.
Fogarty - Quiet this week which is disappointing.
Gibbons - Didn't play at all? Is he in trouble?
Jones - Our best defender and close to BOG
Martin - So quiet early I didn't realise he was playing. Got a couple of touches towards the end but will need to imporve.
McDonald - Showed enough to be ahead of Moore in the pecking order, but then again my daughter shows more than Moore
McKay - No impact before going off
Moore - As expected
Murphy - Hmmmm, a couple of nice bits, but wouldn't want his position to be dictated by this game. Mind you there were plenty of others who showed less!
Newnes - Injured but was no impacting
O'Brien - A few touches but came on when everyone else was stuffed so understandable.
Petrevski-Seton - Frustrating to watch as usual. Just not hard at it for a backman and I'm not sure playing him on the ball would make any difference.
Pittonet - Just a great four quarter effort. Thought he was BOG.
Plowman - Not great
Saad - Reasonable game and showed glimpses of what we can expect.
Setterfield - In and out of the game but I thought he was one of our better players
Silvagni - Started of badly, I thought, but worked hard all night and was one of our best in the end. I'd play him round one.
Walsh - Uncharacteristically average and bordering on bad?
Weitering - Was going OK until injured. No ice on his knee after the game which was great to see, so it might be a hip?
Williams - Really good. Exciting prospect. Only failing was him missing 2 relatively easy shots on goal.
Williamson - Not a good game from Willo. Looked out of sorts.

From a team perspective, we were incredibly fumbly and as others have noted our tackling was as shizen as I've seen. Didn't miss many shots on goal, which was a positive. Our offensive plays still make primary use of the "just kick it to a pack" strategy and when we try to hit up a forward target our delivery is still, for the most part, terrible. Saints look like the real deal and have adopted the Tigers chaos approach, so it might have a been a reasonable result considering.

Reply #87
Cripps - Very quiet by his lofty standards and played like he had a fair bit of rust in the tank.
Cuningham - A couple of nice moves and a lovely goal but he really doesn't impact
Curnow - Bad game. Not sure who he was on and whether he impacted their game but had very little impact for us.
Docherty - Very concerned with his form at the moment
Dow - Not as good as last week, but good enough to get a game round one I think
Fisher - Love watching this kid. Certainly has an X factor. I think he's in for a good year.
Fogarty - Quiet this week which is disappointing.
Gibbons - Didn't play at all? Is he in trouble?
Jones - Our best defender and close to BOG
Martin - So quiet early I didn't realise he was playing. Got a couple of touches towards the end but will need to imporve.
McDonald - Showed enough to be ahead of Moore in the pecking order, but then again my daughter shows more than Moore
McKay - No impact before going off
Moore - As expected
Murphy - Hmmmm, a couple of nice bits, but wouldn't want his position to be dictated by this game. Mind you there were plenty of others who showed less!
Newnes - Injured but was no impacting
O'Brien - A few touches but came on when everyone else was stuffed so understandable.
Petrevski-Seton - Frustrating to watch as usual. Just not hard at it for a backman and I'm not sure playing him on the ball would make any difference.
Pittonet - Just a great four quarter effort. Thought he was BOG.
Plowman - Not great
Saad - Reasonable game and showed glimpses of what we can expect.
Setterfield - In and out of the game but I thought he was one of our better players
Silvagni - Started of badly, I thought, but worked hard all night and was one of our best in the end. I'd play him round one.
Walsh - Uncharacteristically average and bordering on bad?
Weitering - Was going OK until injured. No ice on his knee after the game which was great to see, so it might be a hip?
Williams - Really good. Exciting prospect. Only failing was him missing 2 relatively easy shots on goal.
Williamson - Not a good game from Willo. Looked out of sorts.

From a team perspective, we were incredibly fumbly and as others have noted our tackling was as shizen as I've seen. Didn't miss many shots on goal, which was a positive. Our offensive plays still make primary use of the "just kick it to a pack" strategy and when we try to hit up a forward target our delivery is still, for the most part, terrible. Saints look like the real deal and have adopted the Tigers chaos approach, so it might have a been a reasonable result considering.

Wow, all that and we were within a goal of a team that is clearly on the rise and will be there when the whips are cracking in 2021. Maybe a little more positivity required, without a single tall forward we hit the 100 mark (nearly).
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #88
Wow, all that and we were within a goal of a team that is clearly on the rise and will be there when the whips are cracking in 2021. Maybe a little more positivity required, without a single tall forward we hit the 100 mark (nearly).

I tend to agree. It wasn't a performance you could really be proud of, but apart from a couple of junk time Saints goals, we were within striking distance late in the game.

Reply #89
You can't read too much into this game, as you never know what training block clubs are running, I thought we looked sluggish, but it may well be we are in a heavy training block which explains the heavy leg appearance.
The Force Awakens!