Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11230 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Dont think we were expecting teams like Melbourne to improve more than us, this is always the problem, we can improve and we have but teams like the Dees, Dogs have gone to the next level and are making us look like we havent improved.
Don't think we expected to be above Hawks and Pies at this stage either. Works both ways.

Reply #16
Harry's injury is a major concern and Dave Cunningham looks to be out for a period of time, disappointing but that's football. I watched it until early in the third then switched over to watch the Storm. Glad I did.

Reply #17
Don't think we expected to be above Hawks and Pies at this stage either. Works both ways.

Seriously, you thought we'd be below Hawthorn?

FMD.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18

Not beating top sides carrying 3 players that are carrying injuries plus then Harry getting hurt too.
Lot of top teams now, tough comp/season when a class team like the Tigers sit eighth....we cant account for other teams improving and its just so hard to win a game now.

Reply #19
Harry's injury is a major concern and Dave Cunningham looks to be out for a period of time, disappointing but that's football. I watched it until early in the third then switched over to watch the Storm. Glad I did.

You missed our best quarter of turnovers 😂
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
Disagree, think most expected us to be above both those teams, think the general view is that the Hawks are way off the pace as they showed vs Nth Melb and scribes have them as no chance for a flag for a long while.
The fact is like i said we can improve but its all about the rate of improvement and we are just slower at the minute.

Reply #21
Lot of top teams now, tough comp/season when a class team like the Tigers sit eighth....we cant account for other teams improving and its just so hard to win a game now.

To me that means we're not improving at a similar rate. We've had our share if top draft picks, top performance bloke, etc. If we were, we'd be placed differently. Dees, Dogs, Swans are showing what I was hoping 🙏 for this far into our rebuild. Alas... looking like another honourable year.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Well we fixed the clearance ledger. I think the rest of the team were practicing their turnovers at training... O0  O0

Reply #23
Year is gone again. More excuses as to why but reality is we are no where near it. We will again be a bottom 6 team.

Apart from Weitering, Walsh, Harry and maybe Saad who can you count on week in week out to play at a consistently high level. 

I mean how many players we got in during this rebuild and to have only a handful who we can really count on who don’t have brain fades, don’t have sloppy skills under pressure or major hot and cold patches is embarrassing.

Wtf have we done to Cripps? He’s not half the player he was and looks incapable of getting close to it. I copped a lot of flak for how critical I was of SOS in his inability to get this bloke decent support - we are now seeing exactly what I was eluding to. Midfield is still a shambles 6 years on.
Losing Kruezer has hurt Cripps big time but having no suitable replacement is a yet another major fail of list management. Then we pay crazy money for a half back flanker hoping like hell his one good game as a midfielder was what he could deliver week in week out. 😳

What a major F***up on every level. I can see Cripps leaving and going home and to be honest I don’t blame him.

Then to watch Teague emotionless in the box just tops things off.  Been a member for 20 plus years doubt that run will continue. Enough is enough.

Reply #24
To me that means we're not improving at a similar rate. We've had our share if top draft picks, top performance bloke, etc. If we were, we'd be placed differently. Dees, Dogs, Swans are showing what I was hoping 🙏 for this far into our rebuild. Alas... looking like another honourable year.
Just have to hope we have a catalyst year where we really improve at a greater rate than other teams. I think we have improved but when teams like the Swans who should be bottoming out are suddenly back in the finals fray it shows how hard the comp is.
Geelong are another who should be struggling like Hawthorn after being through a long cycle of finals appearances but just keep staying competitive. It becomes a real grind to make inroads up the ladder when other teams are not playing their part and taking their turn at the bottom.

Reply #25
Just have to hope we have a catalyst year where we really improve at a greater rate than other teams. I think we have improved but when teams like the Swans who should be bottoming out are suddenly back in the finals fray it shows how hard the comp is.
Geelong are another who should be struggling like Hawthorn after being through a long cycle of finals appearances but just keep staying competitive. It becomes a real grind to make inroads up the ladder when other teams are not playing their part and taking their turn at the bottom.
We've too many beginners playing @ElwoodBlues1‍, those clubs that consolidate generally do so with a stable list of guys who are 50 to 100 games. We've a 1/4 of the team that are still in their 1st season together, they need 2 or 3 full seasons together to be reliable.

The Dees are a good example of that, mostly the same team that ran with last season and the bulk were there the season before that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
If we lose next week Teague will be on notice.

Agree but new coach or not we have majority of the list you just can’t count on. We swap every week average footballers for other average footballers.

I reckon I could name 10 blokes today who hard on today don’t deserve a game next week yet who comes in for them apart from TDK who gives you any great confidence they will improve us.

Reply #27
We've too many beginners playing @ElwoodBlues1‍, those clubs that consolidate generally do so with a stable list of guys who are 50 to 100 games. We've a 1/4 of the team that are still in their 1st season together, they need 2 or 3 full seasons together to be reliable.

The Dees are a good example of that, mostly the same team that ran with last season and the bulk were there the season before that!

Should this be happening in the 6th year of a rebuild?

Reply #28

And they also don't (at least for now) go into knee jerk, panic mode when the season doesn't go to plan. 2018 5th. 2019 17th. 2020 9th. If that was Carlton, Goodwin and half the list would have been sacked, if not in '19, then certainly in '20.

Reply #29
Should this be happening in the 6th year of a rebuild?
We changed the coach, it's no longer the same rebuild, changing a coach resets everything and unfortunately for our coach his 2020 Season counts for nought because it was a mickey mouse season.

Today is almost Season 1 for this group, which is why while I hope for more, I expect 9th to 12th.

If BigH goes down, it'll probably be worse than 12th because we've got him and nada at the moment! No BigH, no Betts crumbs, no Owies crumbs, no goals.
The Force Awakens!