Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 6447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #105
Saad out (h and s p)
Boyd to debut in his place.

Reply #106
Like Plowman in the side - he is an underrated stopper. Nothing fancy about him but is tough and strong and usually gets the job done.
What's going on here? Everyone knows Plowman is a whipping boy!

Reply #107
Saad out (h and s p)
Boyd to debut in his place.
Saad has been a bit hot and cold the first two rounds, but Boyd hasn't really shined yet either.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Saad has been a bit hot and cold the first two rounds, but Boyd hasn't really shined yet either.

My take on Boyd from the pre-season game(s) i saw him in was that he was dead last on the pecking order on our list and daylight was second last.

Now, i could see why we chose him when we did (even if he wasn't a big need - hello KPD!) but he did have a decent kick on him and didn't mind a run. Between him, and LOB, we didn't have much else (obviously behind Saad...and maybe Martin).
But his kicking was absolutely horrendous in the praccy matches and i can't see how it will improve with the increased pressure of an actual AFL game.
I hope i'm wrong, but i think this is our biggest selection blunder thus far.

Reply #109
With Saad and Gov both out, we've lost some effective smart kicks to position out of our defense along with 3rd man up stuff. Midfield pressure will become even more important. Not a lot of creativity left in our defense now... probably just Williams. Boyd was very good in the Magoos last week... it's his big chance.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #110
I’m a tad worried

Boyd, Newman, OBrien & Plowman in the 1s, whilst Dow, Martin, Kemp & Williamson languish in the 2s

I hope our selectors know what they’re doing.

Reply #111
My take on Boyd from the pre-season game(s) i saw him in was that he was dead last on the pecking order on our list and daylight was second last.

Now, i could see why we chose him when we did (even if he wasn't a big need - hello KPD!) but he did have a decent kick on him and didn't mind a run. Between him, and LOB, we didn't have much else (obviously behind Saad...and maybe Martin).
But his kicking was absolutely horrendous in the praccy matches and i can't see how it will improve with the increased pressure of an actual AFL game.

He was very clearly off the pace at AFL level and that was only at the speed of a practice match. He was rushed into turnover after turnover.

Fingers crossed that it all works out

Reply #112
I’m a tad worried

Boyd, Newman, OBrien & Plowman in the 1s, whilst Dow, Martin, Kemp & Williamson languish in the 2s

I hope our selectors know what they’re doing.

You and me both ...

Reply #113

Boyds kicking is meant to be his strength but he couldn't guard an elephant trapped in a phone box. Like you I saw his kicking as poor under pressure in the praccy games and given he doesn't defend can't see him anywhere close to senior selection material. I'd even have to suggest LOB is more capable of being able to play defensively when required...
Good luck to Boyd in his 1st game but his selection makes me nervous, hope he doesn't get Bruest as opponent...

Reply #114
Saad has been good especially round 1....big loss imho.

Reply #115
Saad has been good especially round 1....big loss imho.
He has offered some good run and pace, but his disposal has been a tad ordinary, mostly long bomb hook kicks, with the odd accidental pass. Luckily they have come off, and he looks like a champion, but it's hellishly predictable that sort of thing can go either way and it will eventually even out luck wise.

I can't be a hypocrite, if I bagged SPS for kicking sideways or Simmo for taking safe option long bombs under pressure, I must apply the same rules to all other players I critique. So until I see Saad thread some needles I'll reserve my opinion.

Personally, off the HBF I think the bloke we are really going to miss is Gov, he's the one who has been more creative and attacking than any other. His disposal has been extraordinarily good.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
Saad is a big loss
Boyd has big shoes to fill.

Reply #117
This game has become a real test now, if we get a win we might be the real deal this time on the merry-go-round.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
Wasn't Saad 100% efficiency in rd 1?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #119
This game has become a real test now, if we get a win we might be the real deal this time on the merry-go-round.

Tend to agree. Very big test. Our backline now looks to be lacking 'rebound bite' ... a little thin for options. 'Team' defense will be tested.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17