Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 6217 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
Yep, I misread the the OMac injury report.

I was hoping you were right!

I guess it provides an opportunity for Young to show whether he's up to the task.  He seems to trust his judgement and attack the ball.  That's fine provided he takes the mark or kills the contest with a well-directed spoil.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61
Newman wasn't bad - but Stocker is returning and Newy can't afford any poor quarters.
That's for the whole team really.

Reply #62
Newman i had as one who would struggle to cement a spot if everyone was fit (Also Plowman and Setterfield)
With Saad, Williams, Docherty, McGovern, Weitering and Omac/Young as the 2nd tall, you have a pretty solid back 6. Newman, plowman, stocker and even setterfield as your 7th defender....some good players are going to miss out.

Nothing against Newman, always been a fan, but we simply can't pick every player that is good enough for a game

Reply #63
I think Stocker is a monty once he is fit and back in form. The kid is tough as nails and has good skills. Second picked behind Crippa if i have any idea about the way Vossy thinks.

A good player will have to miss when he comes back in. Good problem to have.

Reply #64
I think Stocker is a monty once he is fit and back in form.
Not sure anybody including the captain is a walk up start under Voss, and I suspect that is partly why we've seen broad improvements in performance.

Nobody thinks they are safe, there is competition for every spot! ;)

Hypothetical;
Pre-2022 we lose Cripps or Walsh from the midfield, season disaster it's over, post-2021 we lose Cripps or Walsh from the midfield, not good but not season ending anymore. This is our new reality, we need to get use to it, our week to week fate no longer hinges on an individual, the days of Judd single-handed dragging the team across the line are long long gone. No more messiahs, just a team!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
I was hoping you were right!

I guess it provides an opportunity for Young to show whether he's up to the task.  He seems to trust his judgement and attack the ball.  That's fine provided he takes the mark or kills the contest with a well-directed spoil.
From the limited time I have seen of him, Young looks like a more refined or polished version of Jones with his defensive efforts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
I'd have Stocker in for Williams and Young from what I have seen panics when under pressure with his disposal. He couldn't maintain his place in the Dogs backline after starring vs us in his 1st game and it's not like they are KP Defender rich.
I don't mind Young as a developing player but to me he isn't the finished product who I would trust vs anyone decent.
Williams gets a bit of ball as a rebounder but I'm not sold on him as defender and prefer going with Stocker when fit as imho he offers more as a close checking defender.

Reply #67
I'd have Stocker in for Williams and Young from what I have seen panics when under pressure with his disposal. He couldn't maintain his place in the Dogs backline after starring vs us in his 1st game and it's not like they are KP Defender rich.
I don't mind Young as a developing player but to me he isn't the finished product who I would trust vs anyone decent.
Williams gets a bit of ball as a rebounder but I'm not sold on him as defender and prefer going with Stocker when fit as imho he offers more as a close checking defender.

I agree re young but can’t see Williams being dropped imo. I would like to see him get a long settled run of games as a running HBF which is where he was proven as one of the comps elite in that role. This guy in that position is damaging and clean just think his fitness and being played out of position has delayed him being able to show how good he can be.

I would be persisting in him and think the club has invested too much in him to drop him unless his form leaves them with no option which IMHO it is far from that stage at the moment.

Reply #68
So would I EB. 

Reply #69
I agree re young but can’t see Williams being dropped imo. I would like to see him get a long settled run of games as a running HBF which is where he was proven as one of the comps elite in that role. This guy in that position is damaging and clean just think his fitness and being played out of position has delayed him being able to show how good he can be.

I would be persisting in him and think the club has invested too much in him to drop him unless his form leaves them with no option which IMHO it is far from that stage at the moment.
You have Saad, Docherty and Newman all doing that rebounding defender role Imho, only Saad provides a player who can both defend his man and attack.
I just think we have one too many rebounder only types. For me Stocker is a more multi attributed player who also gives us a bit of grunt which you need vs certain players.
Williams I would use off the bench...

Reply #70
Funny how we were calling for Stocker to play more midfield in the last couple of years.....but now with Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy & Hewett as the main blokes, it's hard to see how Stocker gets a crack in the middle unless there's injuries or if it's just for short bursts.

I think his best role now is down back as a lock down small defender.....he's got some mongrel about him but can also run and carry a bit too. It might come down to horses for courses and a decision between him, Newman and Plowman.

Williams hasn't been outstanding in the first two weeks but IMO has played his role.....not trying to be a midfielder. He could possibly play off a wing at times?

Reply #71
Nothing wrong with a surfeit of players competing like junkyard dogs for positions.

Reply #72
Agree Cap....healthiest we've been for awhile now. It'll mean guys like Newnes will have to fight hard to get a game....similarly Dow, Cottrell etc.

Reply #73
For those going it is a send off for Betts and sMurph this weekend.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
Wingard has passed a fitness test and will play.  I always thought with hamstrings that when you thought you were fine, you needed to wait one more week, or it could get ugly part-way through the match.  
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?