Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5120 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #60
True, but perhaps a bit harsh on Martin.  I have watched him closely this season and he works hard all game.  However, his leads are often ignored and he is expected to take contested marks when we go long down the line.
Martins best game for us was his first when he played 4 quarters, since then he has been injured, inconsistent and his form has mirrored his days at Gold Coast. If he wasnt on big dollars he would be in the twos IMO, I get he can get ignored in play as a half forward and the role he plays is probably a bit undefined especially now he probably wont get much of a run in the midfield but he has to do more to keep his spot when we have a full list to choose from. We all know he can play at a high level but is frustrating in a Chris Yarran type of way how he drifts out of games completely..

Reply #61
Martins best game for us was his first when he played 4 quarters, since then he has been injured, inconsistent and his form has mirrored his days at Gold Coast. ......................................................... We all know he can play at a high level but is frustrating in a Chris Yarran type of way how he drifts out of games completely.
Yes, our frustrations are clearly because we know he is good, I mean Martin is more than capable of dominating a game. By now we should have seen some Stringer like performances from him but we haven't, the first game showed the promise but it's unfulfilled. Remember Dow's first game?

We are not frustrated because we think he is no good, we know ability wise he is not a fraud, if only he would perform consistently.

Sometimes fans take the criticism of their idols the wrong way, they read what we have written and think we hate the player, that is far from the truth, and especially relevant to the likes of Yarran, Lang, Dow, Marchbank or Martin among others. Having all the ability and potential in the world will not save you if you fail to perform to the level required.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
Perhaps we need to remember that Vossy & Co. have only been there 5 minutes and still need time to learn about certain blokes. He's certainly giving them every opportunity. If Fisher has 'peaked'... he's on borrowed time.

Yep, I appreciate that @Baggers ... plus the injuries and the covid impacts but he wouldn't want to drop this one on the possible failure of some selections.     

Reply #63
No surprise to see Lycette out for Sunday. Need to make sure we capitalize on that, like Gold Coast did last week.

Reply #64
Interesting final squad Newnes, Cottrell rewarded, De Koning, Plowman, O'Brien out, Setterfield and Martin survive..... yes interesting.

Reply #65
Interesting final squad Newnes, Cottrell rewarded, De Koning, Plowman, O'Brien out, Setterfield and Martin survive..... yes interesting.
Not surprise TDK gets a rest, he's looked a bit off pace since Rnd 1, I presume LoB is injured.

Only surprise for me is Newnes, he's been collecting kms and possessions at VFL level without looking influential, I'm always wary of seasoned AFL players doing just what is needed at VFL, Lang used to be one like that.

Dow has been dominating at VFL, so a natural swap for Cripps, and Cottrell runs at another level so maybe Cottrell is a natural swap for LoB.

Fogarty swapped out for Durdin was a no brainer.

Only issue I see, we've lost a couple of fairly good ball users, and not much to impress by foot has come in, in fact I'd say disposal won't be a feature this week! Might be a long game for BigH, Charlie and SoJ.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Has Teague been asked for pick this weeks team?

Much weaker team on paper and they have some important ins.

No Dow or Stocker but Newnes, Cottrell and Parks get another look while setterfield still does enough to hold his place.

Not confident now and can’t see us winning this one. 

Reply #67
Has Teague been asked for pick this weeks team?

Much weaker team on paper and they have some important ins.

No Dow or Stocker but Newnes, Cottrell and Parks get another look while setterfield still does enough to hold his place.

Not confident now and can’t see us winning this one.
Hmm, I'd heard Dow was an in, then I see the official team and he's a not!

Let's see if that changes Sunday, we will know by 11am when the VFL game streams live on the AFL website!

( In context, remember that they pulled Dow out early last week as an AFL emergency! )
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Common thread with the ins and outs is the contested nature of the players imho.
eg Cottrell and Parks are not pretty but will give you effort. O'Brien is unlucky thought he did give effort vs GC.
Bit surprised no Dow and TDK as an out..

Reply #69
Can't win with the picked side, we're starting to draw upon "depth" players, and that doesn't auger well.

Fisher and Martin should buy lotto tickets,  they're blessed to be in the seniors this week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #70
Backs: Zac Williams  Lewis Young  Sam Docherty
Half-backs:  Adam Saad Jacob Weitering  Luke Parks
Centreline:  Sam Walsh  George Hewett  Jack Newnes
Half-forwards:  Matthew Owies  Charlie Curnow  Jack Martin
Forwards:  Zac Fisher  Harry McKay  Jack Silvagni
Followers:  Marc Pittonet  Adam Cerra  Will Setterfield
Interchange:  Matthew Cottrell  Corey Durdin  Matthew Kennedy  Nic Newman
Emergencies:  Tom De Koning  Paddy Dow  Lachie Fogarty Lochie O'Brien 

I'm surprised that Dow is not in the 22, but he will be the injury sub.
To be honest, I'd rather another real ruck than relying on Silvagni, but that is another tale.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #71
Lots changes, risky, hope we win.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72
Can't win with the picked side, we're starting to draw upon "depth" players, and that doesn't auger well.

Fisher and Martin should buy lotto tickets,  they're blessed to be in the seniors this week.

Agree never like when there are so many depth players in the one game. Setterfield should buy bingo tickets as well as lotto.

Reply #73
I like the changes. 2 reasons - a) reward for effort & b) a strong message.

Should give blokes in the Magoos incentive as well. Few blokes there, if they continue good form, will press for selection for next week - further pressure on a few blokes in the ones. Fisher, Owies and Martin would want to improve/lift... a lot.

The hype, honeymoon and romance are over. Time to put in 120 minutes of pure focus, intensity, hard work a doing your job... very, very well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
I just hope Harry is on his game and Curnow puts in 4 quarters.  That goes for many others too !