Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 8943 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #300
Save that the defenders select their opponents rather than the forwards choosing their defenders. Sure, Cordy could try to run around with Gov but Weets could take care of Cordy (and Gov’s opponent) while Gov runs off to intercept.

Depends on the numbers and the matchups, but it is possible for a forward to influence his matchup.

I remember a game against Richmond where Cain Ackland was playing as our deepest forward. Tigers were playing Rance as their +1. Rance would sit 10-15m in front of our deepest forward. To counteract that, Ackland would just walk up to Rance and stand next to him. Acklands direct opponent was too stupid to do anything other than stand next to Ackland. A 1-on-1 and a +1 was turned into a 2on1.
Now, if that'd happen today, once you'd stood next to Rance enough times, your opponent would transition into the +1 instead. Thus you'd be choosing your own opponent as a forward.

Same can be said for a defender that wants to stay deep, move up the ground and swap out or vice versa.

Reply #301
Yep, it’s possible to set a defensive forward the task of locking down a rebounder. But not surprisingly, asking a slower “ruckman” to stay with a faster guy like Gov is destined to fail.

Or maybe I’m wrong and we should get Pitto to lock down Sinclair.

Not that Keays was a true defensive forward anyway. He was probably the best opponent for Saad as Rankine and Rachele would have demanded too much close checking. But Keays managed to make himself dangerous while limiting Saad’s rebound.

Reply #302
Kruddler, defenders are now quite used to handovers. They might be tricky when you’re dealing with smart, athletic forwards but Zaine Cordy? Unless he’s had an incredible renaissance, he’s about as tricky as a training cone. And we have more to fear from all of their other forwards and runners. The more time he chooses to clog up the forward line, the better for us.

Reply #303
I cannot believe that we've 'rested' Tom de Koning. Taking in one ruckman is just not smart.
Rucking our other talls? We haven't done that yet much, it has all been left to Jack Silvagni, and not to his benefit.
Such is life.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #304
Stocker not starting on the ground … interesting.

Reply #305
The beauty of Cincotta is every one of his kicks are planner and well excuted on both sides. None of this kick in hope aorund the corner crap. He reminds me alot of Heath Scotland in both running and kicking style. Heath was the best kick our football club has ever seen IMO and we have had some beauties. If Cincotta is half as good a kick he'll be ok.

If you give me 1/2hr I’ll find 2000 posts craptcanning Scotlands kicking, high loopy left footers was one constant whine I remember well, not that I agreed, but I definitely remember.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #306
The beauty of Cincotta is every one of his kicks are planner and well excuted on both sides. None of this kick in hope aorund the corner crap. He reminds me alot of Heath Scotland in both running and kicking style. Heath was the best kick our football club has ever seen IMO and we have had some beauties. If Cincotta is half as good a kick he'll be ok.

His kicks are planned and well executed on both sides of his body....... in the twos where he has time to do that. Let's see what he can do with the extra heat in the big time!!

Reply #307
I cannot believe that we've 'rested' Tom de Koning. Taking in one ruckman is just not smart.
Rucking our other talls? We haven't done that yet much, it has all been left to Jack Silvagni, and not to his benefit.
Such is life.
TDK looks like he needed a rest, other than Marshall rucks are thin on the ground for The Aints, although we accept Marshall is a significant hurdle, Ross the Boss has a history of tactics using solo rucks so for me TDK looked like he needed a rest and the time is probably right.

We need a bunch of blokes to lift this week or the ruck situation won't make smidge of difference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #308
Unfortunately I remain unconvinced and expect this to be a tough one to win. Particularly given the skittles that keep falling. Saints and Crows have been our achilles heel for some time.
Steel nullifies Crippa. Sinclair plays AA form. Membrey and their fast crafty small forwards have danced around our defence. Big improvements in those areas and we're a chance.

Saints by 18
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #309
I think Steele and Membrey might be a bit rusty and we can grind out a win with our tall forwards leading the way.
Blues by 11 points....

Reply #310
Unfortunately I remain unconvinced and expect this to be a tough one to win. Particularly given the skittles that keep falling. Saints and Crows have been our achilles heel for some time.
Steel nullifies Crippa. Sinclair plays AA form. Membrey and their fast crafty small forwards have danced around our defence. Big improvements in those areas and we're a chance.

Saints by 18

Same page here, LN.

We would have to play the best game under Vossy thus far to have a chance of winning. If we start the way we finished the last game, it could be ugly. If we rebound with real heat, confidence and consistency over four qtrs we're a slim chance... but that's hard to see as we still have a few passengers obviously down on form and a disrupted continuity.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #311
IN: Alex Cincotta (Debut), Mitch McGovern

OUT: Adam Saad (Injured), Lachie Plowman (Omitted), Tom De Koning (Managed)

What ???
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #312
Need Hewett and Kennedy to double their efforts and if they do that with Walshy having a game under his belt should be okay.

But it's Hewett and Kennedy for me as they bring other players into the game like Fisher. We need to draft more smalls by the looks of it.

Reply #313
I don't get fans complaining, so many who wanted to solo ruck scenario are now complaining about TDK being rested, but one event is a consequence of the other, a solo ruck is unsustainable for a full AFL season.

This isn't 1965, and rucks don't get to stroll from stoppage to stoppage while they watch general play!

Some fans might use Marshall as an example to counter that, but they are just looking at the lists and not watching the games, the Aints have a whole strategy to reduce Marshalls workload allowing him to spend as much time as possible at stoppages.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #314
I don't get fans complaining, so many who wanted to solo ruck scenario are now complaining about TDK being rested, but one event is a consequence of the other, a solo ruck is unsustainable for a full AFL season.

This isn't 1965, and rucks don't get to stroll from stoppage to stoppage while they watch general play!

Some fans might use Marshall as an example to counter that, but they are just looking at the lists and not watching the games, the Aints have a whole strategy to reduce Marshalls workload allowing him to spend as much time as possible at stoppages.
Two rucks please, now and forever 🙏
I read on BF that Mirkov may be injured, can anyone confirm? Maybe that's why a second ruck wasn't included.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time