Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5744 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #105
Last weekends result should be a lesson to all AFL coaches, that reinforces how important the system is in AFL, and not so much the talent.

Port paid a high price for making so many changes, forced or otherwise.

They defeated us in many keys stats, especially i50s, they still had a lot of talent on the park yet they lost because they suffered a system failure.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
We don't want to fall into the trap of playing too many developing players all at once, surely we've learnt that lesson now!

I'm still not yet sold of Motlop being "AFL ready", he had a day out being in the right place at the right moment for some Joe the Goose moments, and much like Dow there were moments Motlop was just spectating sprinkled with a couple of good moments in between. Better sides make those uncomfortable / hesitant circumstances happen all the time, and if you've got too many newbies it hurts the team big time.

None of Jesse's goals came from Joe the Goose moments, one was from very good positioning and body work against a bigger opponent, one was from getting into the corridor for a handball receive and the other two were from classic, front and centre crumbing.

I'm still thinking about my votes but Jesse is in the mix.  However, I'd have him back in the VFL next week if Owies is good to go, or perhaps I'd have him as the sub.  Jesse still has a bit to work on before he's assured of a place in the 22.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
What I'm seeing both forward and back is that we're developing a degree of diversity.

It's strange because the with a 'one man out, one man in philosophy' you'd be looking more at 'like for like'.
But have a look at our small forwards.
Durdin, Owies and Motlop all bring different strengths (and limitations)
Martin, Cunningham, Fogarty and Silvagni provide differences of both an offensive and defensive nature.
Add the two key forwards and they're all complementing  one another to make a much more effective and varied forward line.

Saad, Williams (not there at the moment) and Docherty (also playing more wing) are those attacking half-backs but you need some defending types as well.
McGovern provides the intercept role.
Newman, Kemp, Boyd all add different features (Shut down capability, defensive pressure, but also capable of switching to attacking roles)...and with Weitering as the centre piece you have a strong diverse backline.

The fact that some players are capable of filling or developing at multiple roles adds to the variety.
Then you have Cottrell (forward of wing), and Acres ( often defensive side of wing) chiming in to support where needed.

I remember not too long ago there was some complaint about the sameness of players, especially in the midfield, but it looks like variety is a work in progress...and harder for opposition  to match up on.

Reply #108
Finally took a big scalp and with some serious venom too.

I haven't seen the game in full as I was working till 5:00pm on Saturday but did catch most of the last quarter, game was done 7 dusted by the time I tuned in.

Have to wonder if the injury to McKay will be a blessing in disguise ?? I'm not suggesting anything sinister here, just that in his absence, other players will have to step up and carry some of his workload as well. Will be interesting to see (a) if that happens & (b) who it is that does the extra lifting ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #109
Thought I'd give a big shout out to Gov. A much maligned player however despite his shortfalls, he has show in recent weeks that he is a critical cog in our defence. Ill take the occasional brain fade give all the positives he has shown lately.
I liken to Weiters, Gov and Kemp to Batman, Robin and Alfred. Kemp is Robin, not sure yet which of the other two is Batman or Alfred.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #110
I don't think McKay's injury is any kind of blessing. We have a dearth of big men as it is : Silvagni cannot keep his workload and great recent form going long term, Pittonet is injured, De Koning is possibly on the way out, Charlie Curnow's injury history is well known, and there's no one in the 2's that is AFL ready, at least that I can see. We need to spread the load as widely as possible, not fewer players having to over compensate for injured team mates.

Harry's injury is bad news all round IMO.

Reply #111
Have to wonder if the injury to McKay will be a blessing in disguise ?? I'm not suggesting anything sinister here, just that in his absence, other players will have to step up and carry some of his workload as well. Will be interesting to see (a) if that happens & (b) who it is that does the extra lifting ??
I thought before he got injured BigH was looking in better form / touch on the day than Charlie, so I think fans should not read too much into the result after BigH got injured.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
Gees I'd be careful wording up MacG too much - he was very good on the weekend but when he's bad, he is an awful liability.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #113
Gees I'd be careful wording up MacG too much - he was very good on the weekend but when he's bad, he is an awful liability.
Fair enough, I think his best far outweighs his worst.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #114

I think the whole team was off when Gov last had a bad day.  He's been remarkably consistent (and fit) this season ... end of contract boost?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #115
I think the whole team was off when Gov last had a bad day.  He's been remarkably consistent (and fit) this season ... end of contract boost?
RE his contract, I'd be wary about offering him another fat one, I'm led to believe his isn't chasing big coin and prefers to remain with us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #116
RE his contract, I'd be wary about offering him another fat one, I'm led to believe his isn't chasing big coin and prefers to remain with us.
No other club wants him is the rumour and his management have been told he will have to wait until seasons end, I presume that means when the club have sorted out all the money with regards in and outs. He certainly wont be on big money especially if we are handing out big deals to the likes of Gresham, B.Mckay or TDK.
Im 50/50 on McGovern, his form has improved and he has managed to stay on the park but Id only consider him after signing all the other important players I wanted to keep and I wouldnt be losing Jack Silvagni for example by having to offer him unders to keep the likes of McGovern.

Reply #117
No other club wants him is the rumour and his management have been told he will have to wait until seasons end, I presume that means when the club have sorted out all the money with regards in and outs. He certainly wont be on big money especially if we are handing out big deals to the likes of Gresham, B.Mckay or TDK.
Im 50/50 on McGovern, his form has improved and he has managed to stay on the park but Id only consider him after signing all the other important players I wanted to keep and I wouldnt be losing Jack Silvagni for example by having to offer him unders to keep the likes of McGovern.

I'd be keeping McGovern.
I'd be keeping Silvagni.
I'd even be keeping Marchbank.
We have enough blokes who we should look at cutting first IMO.

Reply #118
Coaches' votes :

10 Jack Silvagni (CARL)
8 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 Dan Houston (PORT)
2 Tom De Koning (CARL)
2 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
2 Nicholas Newman (CARL)

Reply #119
I actually thought Charlie looked better and more dangerous after H got injured. This raises the question as to how we should structure our fwd set up when H returns and going forward.  Imo I think we should look at keeping a lot more separation in order to stretch opposition defences and minimize the times they are both flying for the same mark.

If i remember correctly when Harry got injured last year Charlie came out of his shell and and started to lead the Coleman kicking a few bags. Will be interesting to see how he goes over the next few weeks without his partner in crime.