Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9554 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #135
We need to get as many in this week as possible (Gov, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, Fog), last chance to knock out the cobwebs and tune up for finals. Dont want to be doing that week 1 of finals.

How fabulous is it to be discussing our changes in preparation for FINALS...

This time last year we were losing players at a rate of knots. The players returning from injury were out of touch. Eventually culminating in missing finals by an infinitesimal measure.

I'm so  excited and still pinching myself. I have got our club song playing in my head when I get up and when I go to bed. Best bit. it doesn't bother me a bit.

Go Blues.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #136
Cuningham's endurance is good. He's more than a speedy player. Probably still rusty after such a long time out.

Reply #137
Cuningham's endurance is good. He's more than a speedy player. Probably still rusty after such a long time out.
Yep I agree, he's missed a huge block of training, it must have an impact just like missing pre-season.

He might well be another that comes out flying after the week off!

Assuming he's 100% over the hammy, who the feck would want to stand Walsh after he has had a few weeks to freshen up and grow hungry at this time of the year. Somebody must be having nightmares about this, ready to throw up their ring I suspect, like standing a desperate Robert Harvey or Craig Bradley, you just know they are going to make you hurt. Even at my peak I'd be crying for mummy before 1/4-time! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
There’s going to be some unlucky players among those named on our extended bench.

It’s a nice predicament to have but hard on those who miss out just the same.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #139
Strong line up even without Doc.

My bench Cincotta, Pittonet, Fogarty, Fisher
Sub  Cuningham
Missing out:   Hollands, Marchbank, Durdin

Reply #140

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he is bringing up the rear in time trials, but Cottrell is very much in the lead pack with 2 curnows and maybe Walsh......and now maybe Hollands.

Cottrell is elite endurance.

Cuningham might be very good, he just isn't at the same level......which is fine, neither is anyone else on the list.

Reply #141
The starting 22 is a pretty strong line-up. Apart from Docherty and Zac Williams, it's almost the best we can do.

GWS will be up for the fight. A spot in finals on the line, continuation of their recent run of good form, Coniglio's 200th. I reckon they'll throw everything they have at us.

Reply #142
The starting 22 is a pretty strong line-up. Apart from Docherty and Zac Williams, it's almost the best we can do.

GWS will be up for the fight. A spot in finals on the line, continuation of their recent run of good form, Coniglio's 200th. I reckon they'll throw everything they have at us.
Kennedy and Silvagni are in my best 22.

Reply #143
I was half thinking that Voss may be tempted to ease up slightly, and whilst not putting the cue in the rack per se, maybe not go into the game with top intensity. But it seems as though he's going all out and not taking his foot off the pedal. It has the potential to be a cracker of a game IMO.

Reply #144
Interesting response from Vossy in his press conference regarding Cripps. Not totally convinced that he'll play based on the coach's comments which were far from definitive!!

Reply #145
Really proud of Dow and Cotts holding their spots in the 22 - well deserved lads.

Reply #146
I was 50/50 on this game but I think GWS may be a bit more motivated and we could be a bit flat. Last week vs GC it looked a bit of a tired effort until Charlie got into gear. I think the Bulldogs will win given Geelong have parked the cue in the rack for the year with their selections and with GWS then needing to win to make finals I can see them hanging on for a tight win.
We have some returning rusty players, have been up for a while and look due for a loss imho so GWS by 7 points.
Rather lose this week,get some game time into returning players and then freshen up with the break for the finals.
Id rest Cripps and not risk him if he is a bit sore...

Reply #147
Really proud of Dow and Cotts holding their spots in the 22 - well deserved lads.

We picked up two players from the Pre-season Supplemental Selection in Feb 2019. One was a much decorated ball magnet from Williamstown called Michael Gibbons and a kid with very few credentials called Matt Cottrell.  It has taken a while, but he's now become the ultimate role player, runs all day, hard at it and loves a goal. You don't need to be a superstar to play in a premiership team........just do your job!

Reply #148
We picked up two players from the Pre-season Supplemental Selection in Feb 2019. One was a much decorated ball magnet from Williamstown called Michael Gibbons and a kid with very few credentials called Matt Cottrell.  It has taken a while, but he's now become the ultimate role player, runs all day, hard at it and loves a goal. You don't need to be a superstar to play in a premiership team........just do your job!
There are not many games where Cotts has played and not topped the charts for most distance covered. I think since round 12, he has only been beaten Ed Curnow in one game and by Langdon in the Melb game. Workrate is second to none at our club, that's how you hold your place.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #149
I'm not a  big believer in "the loss, you have to have".
I just wonder at the ability to maintain the kind of intense pressure we've been playing with over the last half of the season.
There must be some cumulative effect on a side, both mentally and physically.
At some point there may even be a breaking point if there is no down-time.

And after this game there will be no down time...it's about to ramp up 100%