Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting) (Read 70354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting)

Reply #165
I hope Buckley's disposal skills are better than he showed last night.  Man, when he took possession just outside D50 and then missed a short pass to Wood kicking to the opposing flank, that gave up a certain goal.  All of the pace and hustle in the world won't help him if his team mates can't rely upon him hitting targets.

He's not alone in this area unfortunately.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #166
There are a number of things that really worry me about last night's game in particular, and both games in general:
[1] We don't seem to have addressed our major areas of weakness. Key forward and key defensive posts were real issues. Waite did nothing for the 2nd week in a row and Watson was the only tall defender to really stand up (and we all know that he dos have issues).
I am willing to give Jamo the benefit of the doubt, as he has only played part of a game so far.
But we really don't appear to have many options.
[2] Our centre clearances were actually quite good against North, but last night we lost the centre clearances 5:1. Teams are not going to make a charge when the ball does not get out of the middle.
[3] Our youngsters don't look bad, but they never seem to be able to run out games. Buckley and Menzel come to mind.
[4] Some of the guys who need to stand up really haven't. Garlett, Yarran, to a lesser extent Murphy (he was pretty good last night), Gibbs (again, to a lesser extent - maybe I am expected more from Bryce than he is able or willing to give).
[5] In our good times, the thing that stuck out was our ability to smother the oppositions' best players. That seems something we really struggle to do. I must admit I was very pleased with the job done on Dangerfield. Apart from a couple of things when they had their run on, he was obliterated. However, this is the exception rather than the rule.
[6] We don't seem to have the fanaticism or the esprit de corps that other teams have. That worries me.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #167
I don't think it was my blue glasses last night, but did we get Rogered by the umps? People have said about Kruezer taking marks, but how many time was he hit in the back of the head? How many time was Waite or Casboult held while going for the mark, push in the back by a Crows guy that lead directly to a goal, the high tackles called while a Crows player was burying himself into the armpit of our tacklers yet Murphy ducked under a tackle twice and was smacked in the face.

Umpiring is not rewarding the hard tackle, when Bell got pinged for a throw he would have been better off just letting the ball go as it was hardly called, rather than puching it away as it fell from his hands.
The Bell one was just a rookie mistake.  If you've been tackled immediately after taking possession, you SHOULD be safe from being pinged, although the obsession umpires have with avoiding ball ups means that umpires often make farcical rulings that the tackled player didn't make an attempt after he's dumped onto the ground with the ball held to him.  But even if there's a risk of this sort of bad holding the ball decision being given, there's absolutely no sense in trying to do a one-handed handball by throwing up the ball and trying to hit it.  That will and should be called against the player for throwing 100% of the time.  Bell should have taken the ball to ground while doing the chicken-head movement to tell the umpire he was doing his best to get the ball out, or he should have tried to drop it onto his boot as umpires will usually call play on if it comes out loose. 

The area that will be most problematic is pushing in the back in marking contests.  As Healy noted, this shouldn't be seen as an area in which players ought to be allowed to use their strength.  Any substantial push forward should be pinged.  No problems if the umpires let go hands in the back which are incidental or just holding ground against a player backing back.  But if the umpires let things go back to the way they were, no one will be able to take front position without being pushed out of the contest.  The push out against Bootsma was obvious and ridiculous and yet it was rewarded by the umpire. 

Reply #168
@Crashlander

Adelaide showed a lot more desire and purpose than we did in the last quarter for sure - they really seemed to want to win the game. Don't know whether that reflected our weak mental state or our physical tiredness.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #169
I must admit I was very pleased with the job done on Dangerfield.

Wasn't it Yarran?  ???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #170
I hope Buckley's disposal skills are better than he showed last night.  Man, when he took possession just outside D50 and then missed a short pass to Wood kicking to the opposing flank, that gave up a certain goal.  All of the pace and hustle in the world won't help him if his team mates can't rely upon him hitting targets.

I thought he picked some harder options to kick to and his kicks were very attacking. Also harder to kick well in full flight. I'm really impressed by him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #171
Kicking across goal in defence when running at full pace is an epic fail.  Just as with the old saying of "2 hands for beginners", he better work out that he has to play the percentages in defence.  No great problem if he tries to push the envelope in a praccie, but if he tries to do that in the H&A matches he'll wear the consequences.   

Reply #172
@Crashlander

Adelaide showed a lot more desire and purpose than we did in the last quarter for sure - they really seemed to want to win the game. Don't know whether that reflected our weak mental state or our physical tiredness.

Perhaps it was because the coach wasn't too concerned about the result:

He [Malthouse] said the successful returns of Thomas, Kade Simpson, Heath Scotland, Michael Jamison, Jeff Garlett and Matthew Kreuzer were more important than running out matches in February.

"I said to the players before the game, 'If we win we'll tick it, if we lose I'll make an excuse for the media' … but I don't have to make an excuse," Malthouse said. 

"It was almost predictable that six of our players that had been out of action, coming back, were never going to impact the last half."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #173
@Crashlander

Perhaps it was because the coach wasn't too concerned about the result:

He [Malthouse] said the successful returns of Thomas, Kade Simpson, Heath Scotland, Michael Jamison, Jeff Garlett and Matthew Kreuzer were more important than running out matches in February.

"I said to the players before the game, 'If we win we'll tick it, if we lose I'll make an excuse for the media' … but I don't have to make an excuse," Malthouse said. 

"It was almost predictable that six of our players that had been out of action, coming back, were never going to impact the last half."

Maybe - whichever reason, I'm not losing sleep over it atm.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #174
They said on SEN we played the last qtr. with 17 men on the park....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #175
We would not be the first, and we won't be the last AFL club to play a quarter of pre-season with only 16 or 17 players on the park. It is all about getting a certain amount of run into the legs. The guys that get to their quota early are rested, and the ones that need to catch up get to work overtime.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176

Mick pulled the pin at 3/4 time. 1 on bench for us vs 6 for Adelaide.

Menz came to the bench at one point and wanted to come off saying "I can't effing run " but he couldn't come off (even though he was nearly crawling he was so cooked ) because we had no one on the bench.

Mick said we played better this week than last. It just confirms that Adelaide were playing to win & we we're playing to win round 1.

Reply #177

On TV early in the last quarter they said Waite, Yarran and someone else were already having a shower. Then 10 minutes later David King said we have stamina issues. ;D
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #178
Watched the game again today to see if it really was as bad as I thought in the first place. Yep. Bad. Boring.

Kreuzer concerns me. First game back so we cut him some slack, but he must start taking marks and impacting games far more than he does. Without looking at the stats I would think that Wood was actually our better ruckman on the night.

Watson seems to have only one weakness, his speed over the turf. BUT, his anticipation and good reading of the play helps overcome this. His disposal is first rate, whether by hand or foot. Still needs to improve overall to not only hold down a key defence position but to have offensive impact as well. Love his torps.

Everett looks much better around the guts and up forward (than down back).

Skipper didn't get out of 3rd gear.

This kid Cripps could be anything. Another couple of pre-seasons and reducing the puppy fat will help his endurance.

Good to see Buckley working harder and showing some dash.

Daisy DOES look better in navy. All class.

Gibbs is working harder.

Slug Ellard a small forward :o Sure looked the part!

Simmo always seems to start his seasons slowly.

Rest so so, except for Bootsma (has that rare talent of giving the aggott to the opposition), Casboult and Rowe who were disappointing.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #179

I thought he picked some harder options to kick to and his kicks were very attacking. Also harder to kick well in full flight. I'm really impressed by him.

He clearly has work to do on his disposal and decision making, but he has had very limited exposure at this level so hopefully he will settle as he gets more used to the pace of the game. What I liked was his willingness to attack the footy and take the game on - I'd much rather see a kid doing that than chipping sideways to a safe option because he's feeling the pressure. He looked more composed last night than vs North, so for mine that's a tick as he's learnt some lessons and progressed. He certainly knows how to find the footy, and has terrific intensity at the contest. Watching him progress from last year [and last week] is one of the real upsides so far from the NAB cup and you get a feeling he is on the right path and could develop into an AFL player.

The other guy to pleasantly surprise is Cripps. Was better than I expected last week, and the fact that he came on last night and had an immediate significant impact against a very strong and powerful opposition midfield was outstanding for mine. Didn't panic, didn't hesitate getting into the contest and won plenty of the ball, and made 6 tackles too. All in less than 50% game time. Obviously they are managing his load and he needs more endurance but he is certainly a very promising prospect who will likely get game time this year based on what we've seen so far.  

Just wish I could be as positive about a few more guys.........