Skip to main content
Topic: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ...... (Read 31797 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

Reply #45
From Professor E..."Most of our blokes ARE NOT SOFT but they are excessively nice. That's the issue as far as I'm concerned... we are too fair.   As a club we do not do the stuff around the fringes of the rules that other clubs do oh so well...."

Agree with you there brother. I watch Hawks players man the mark and they're are on it and jumping all over it to make it hard for opponents to kick over. Most times, you will find that they grab an extra 50cm or so without penalty and force opponents to kick around the mark. Our blokes? Not street smart at all. One example is minding the mark when the opposition is kicking for goal. If you do the physics, the taller the player on the mark, the further back the opponent has to walk to have a kick especially if he has hands up (take note Warnock). Why isn't a ruckman, or tall back standing the mark when shooting for goal? It's the 1 percenters and team smarts that are killing our team.

Reply #46
From Professor E..."Most of our blokes ARE NOT SOFT but they are excessively nice. That's the issue as far as I'm concerned... we are too fair.   As a club we do not do the stuff around the fringes of the rules that other clubs do oh so well...."

Agree with you there brother. I watch Hawks players man the mark and they're are on it and jumping all over it to make it hard for opponents to kick over. Most times, you will find that they grab an extra 50cm or so without penalty and force opponents to kick around the mark. Our blokes? Not street smart at all. One example is minding the mark when the opposition is kicking for goal. If you do the physics, the taller the player on the mark, the further back the opponent has to walk to have a kick especially if he has hands up (take note Warnock). Why isn't a ruckman, or tall back standing the mark when shooting for goal? It's the 1 percenters and team smarts that are killing our team.
Also when the Hawkers tackle the tackle to hurt, whereas when we tackle we slip off and they run free. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #47
re: Hawks....you mess with a Hawks player then their captain in Hodge is in their first flying the flag...
Murphy will never be that sort of player...was/is the wrong choice...he needs a Hodge looking after him..

Reply #48
re: Hawks....you mess with a Hawks player then their captain in Hodge is in their first flying the flag...
Murphy will never be that sort of player...was/is the wrong choice...he needs a Hodge looking after him..
Hodge is the biggest sniper going around >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #49
Hodge is the biggest sniper going around >:(

He does snipe but he also sticks up for his teammates....

Reply #50
Jofo...  its so freakin' obvious isn't ?  It's as if our blokes are almost scared of transgressing.

Put the tallest player on the mark. Pretty basic isn't it.  How about our blokes then working the mark in a serious fashion? 

Others that I see are every week are defenders cribbing the mark and forwards taking kicks from spots that are preferable from whence they took the mark. Small things, but hey all count.

Unnecessary holding and "treatment" to blokes on the ground is another bugbear of mine... just lying on the ground remonstrating with an umpire buys that extra second for the defence to re-set etc...  Juddy must be heartily sick of that rubbish by now.

Another that irritates me is Chappy chirping to the umpires all the time.  What makes him so special that he is allowed to do this, I thought only captains could approach an umpire?  Do they just give him frees to shut him up?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #51
Maybe its time that somebody took them on.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #52
Twenty extra 1 percenters per game gives us 20% better performance. Could be the difference.

Reply #53

It is telling me that one of our guys needs to really make a statement and despatch someone into the middle of next week if they try and mess with us - ideally quite legally. Then it is let out quietly around the traps that this is what to expect if you mess with any of our guys.  >:(
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Stand up for yourself and your mates......

Reply #54
lots of quotes.....

Monga Lloyd has highlighted this as well.
Sad day when Lloyd starts calling us weak, was embarrassed when I read it  :-[
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #55
Any chance our guys could start shepherding and blocking opponents so their team mates can get a run at / with the ball? :-[

I hope so, it stands out doesn't it?

On Sunday night there was a prime example of how this affects the team. There was a kick out from D50 to Curnow on the HFF/Wing, it went over his head and he was running with the flight. Curnow could have easily ran onto that ball, marked it and kept going, he only had one laboring spud Scummer following him who Curonw could have easily burn off. Instead Curnow let the ball bounce, it bounced backwards to his trailing Scum shadow as it tends to do, and was turned over for a cheap ar5e Scum goal.

Curnow let that ball bounce because he had no confidence, no faith, no communications and no experience of others in the team sacrificing themselves for the betterment of the club. If we protected each other, the way the Dawks protect each other, if we gave some chop outs and some shepherds, he would have run onto that ball and into our open F50 without fear!

Sometimes football is that simple!

Of our current list only Scotland and Armfield do the good stuff regularly, the rest I fear are Sunday drivers, even Robbo!

If its the same situation I'm thinking of - Curnow didn't run onto the ball as he was being HELD.  Cheats FC players were doing it all night (1 free against Hocking for holding Murphy off the ball vs the 78 times he did it).  It goes back to another comment on here (about cribbing the mark etc) - we just dont push the rules.  Hocking holds Murph all night, CheatsFC players dive on our mids a fraction before we take posession, and what do we do the other way?? Nicely wait for them to get the ball, give them a beat, then think about grabbing a jumper. 

Reply #56

It is telling me that one of our guys needs to really make a statement and despatch someone into the middle of next week if they try and mess with us - ideally quite legally. Then it is let out quietly around the traps that this is what to expect if you mess with any of our guys.  >:(

Do we have anyone that can do it? Casboult has the size.
Not sure he has the mongrel although he can crash a pack.
I'd play him despite form, with instructions to just go hard at contests and put a bit of doubt into the opposition.
That would be his main job and his spot would depend on how well he did that task.
We need to get the opposition looking over their shoulders.
Is it a one man job?....probably not but it's a start.

Reply #57
There are two things you can bank:

i.  Jimmy Buckley would have been seething on Sunday night and not at Goddard, at our own players. The Buckley, Sheldon, Johnston, Maclure, Harmes, Rhys Jones era would not let anyone get away with anything like that.  Maclure on 'The Blue Print' told the story of Malthouse roughing up an 18 y.y. Glascott.  Malthouse did not finish the game.........

ii.  Dylan Buckley would be in like a flash to fly the flag for a team mate.

Reply #58
Dylan Buckley would be in like a flash to fly the flag for a team mate.

I think he would too, and good on him, he's won me...but if we're leaving it to one of our smallest players were in a bit of strife.

Reply #59
Bloody terrific comments here. This is probably one of the most important threads at present... supported by the apparent fact that the players came out of their meeting after Sunday night realising they had not played for each other.

How could that happen in the first place? Seething.  :( :(

Why can't this group concentrate for 120 minutes? A previous poster mentioned how the Dawks players jump around all over the mark, and I would add that they invariably also grab a cm or 55 in the process - that takes an attitude of absolute rage that the opposition has got the aggott and a ruthless commitment to give 150% of every second of every minute to make it tough for opponents when they've got the aggott, plus a ruthless commitment to get it back... etc. (terribly worded paragraph... hope you get what I mean).

This group won't win a Premiership but FFS let's at least get the best out of them between now and r22 so we know who stays and who goes. And that could easily apply to all coaches as well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17