Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary (Read 40198 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary

Reply #60
Those who are calling for MM's head, who would be a good replacement ? Its not as if there's a Roos, Lyon or a Clarkson uncontracted and ready to be poached...

That Bolton guy seems To go alright.

It's about the direction of the footy club. Such a Carlton way. Get someone successful
Instead of building our own.

Alan Joyce went alright for one year....you and me could coach Hawthorn.....

A team like hawthorn obviously rated him enough to put him in that position.

Heaven forbid we think outside the Carlton bubble.

You and me could have coached the Eagles in the early 90's yet Malthouse is lauded for his record.

Malthouse sent Collingwood to the bottom before he could raise them...they stuck fat with him and rebuilt...do you think Mick will get that same luxury with us?

If by "us" you mean people on the forum, NO.

Reply #61
Those who are calling for MM's head, who would be a good replacement ? Its not as if there's a Roos, Lyon or a Clarkson uncontracted and ready to be poached...

It's about the direction of the footy club. Such a Carlton way. Get someone successful

You and me could have coached the Eagles in the early 90's yet Malthouse is lauded for his record.

Malthouse sent Collingwood to the bottom before he could raise them...they stuck fat with him and rebuilt...do you think Mick will get that same luxury with us?

Collingwood only really bottomed out for one injury ravaged season, picked up Pendlebury and Thomas, got their players back and shot straight back up.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #62
The sack Malthouse crew are just sucked into the magic bullet remedy that's been in vogue at Carlton since our last Premiership.
There is no magic bullet and no coach will will turn things around in five minutes as if by miracle, in fact sacking Malthouse now would only confirm that we are a basket case with no plan, no clue and no way forward.

The "sack Malthouse crew" will probably tell you they never wanted him here in the first place.
The sack Malthouse crew will tell you that there are many issues at our club, of which the coach is but one.
The sack Malthouse crew will tell you that want to see all players improving and all players playing to their potential, not just half.
The sack malthouse crew will look at Port and Melbourne relative to where they were 12 months ago and wonder.

Our recent history is plagued by at least three magic bullets :

1. the high draft pick magic bullet
2. the superstar player magic bullet
3. the superstar coach magic bullet.

Personally, I find the idea of tanking ideologically repugnant, and I think it does more damage to the players spirits than you can imagine.

Edit : added point

Reply #63
It's got nothing to do with Malthouse, our skills by hand and foot are deplorable and it's been that way for more than 10 years.
It's at the point now that when one of our players is clear with time to balance up you expect the ball to be turned over, you also expect slow, high handballs, foot passes at bootlaces or on top of the forwards' heads, fumbles under pressure, poor decisions and second guessing, all of which are symptoms of players who just aren't good enough.
There are about 6 or 7 players in our team with reliable foot skills and the rest are hit and miss, mostly miss.
Malthouse can't fix it in a year or two.

How do you explain Roos' impact at Melbourne then? He's stopped the absolute beatings they used to cop, made them tougher to score against, and now they have more belief in winning games. All in half a season!

Has done a poor mans Freo and made it a ugly game of rolling contests, low scoring bore fests...sure it has stopped the beatings but that footy wont win a premiership.

Well, that's what they said about the Swans when he was there. Demetriou labelled them the "ugly ducklings" to which Roos took offence to the insult and made no apologies for the way they played. 2 years later, they were premiers.

I'm not saying Roos will turn Melbourne into a premiership team, I'm just saying he's made significant inroads to changing the way they play, and in essence, changing the results. All in a short space of time.

Reply #64
The new President, Mark la la land, if he didn't know before, knows now that he needs to get his head down and arse up and get rid of the deadwood on the board, one bloke I know on there has got the ability of a flea, get the right personnel in and sack the idiots who recruited Watson, Mitchell, Bootsma and Lucas.

Mick has got to stop with this, "we pick the team that can win the game cr@p" and put in some young blokes. Carrots is gone. Can't run and kicks the ball in the air when he passes it. Carrots out, Graham in. Put Johnson in, and try the Irishman. Even give Cameron Wood a go.

Now about Rowe. Aside from the Brisbane Lions, I cannot think of another team where Rowe would get a regular game and he might have difficulty getting one there. Like all of you, I admire his magnificent fight to beat the disease with which he was afflicted. I have said here that he has improved over the last 7 or so rounds, but the level he is at now, is just not good enough to hold down a key position at AfL level. He does his best, but his best isn't good enough. He said in the interview today that he's a fighter. You have to be to beat cancer. But that fighting quality can't mask a lack of skill and ability.

He is easily pushed off the ball. Sometimes you get a second effort, other times it's as if he is asleep and stands back watching the action going on around him. He is not an attacking defender. Jammo will get the ball, and when possible will commence an attacking move from the back line. Rowe, won't or more probably, can't do that. I know how much the coach admires him, but he will not be part of a top four team.

Waite, is on his last legs, legs that go from under him at least 10 times in every game. If he misses a mark, upon landing, he can't keep his feet. his kicking has always been a problem as has is his lack of discipline. Walker, has been over rated for years, and should, if he is to continue, play in the forward line. he cannot hit a Carlton player on the chest with a pass to save his life. In the forward line, that aspect of his game is basically removed.

Levi, has got a long way to go. He was downright lazy today, and aside from when he went into the ruck showed and did nothing. Judd is coming to the end. maybe one more season only because this one has been a write off, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it away. his wife, who is a footy tragic where Chris is concerned and can quote his stats chapter and verse, may have some influence in his decision. if he does play on, it may be her input which has made him decide to do so.

Simmo, is getting to the end. Blokes like Everrit, Docherty and Henderson need to improve another 50%-100% to be major players in a team aspiring to make the top four. I won't go through the rest, but IMO we have got a ong long way to go to be competitive.

Yes, we will show flashes of brilliance, and yes, we will put up the good fight against the top teams, and i expect us to do so against the Pies.

But we need a clean out of all the dead wood at the club from the bottom to the top, and if the club do this and show that they mean business, I for one am prepared to wait a couple of years to see us in the eight if not in the four.

But no more than that.

Reply #65
The sack Malthouse crew are just sucked into the magic bullet remedy that's been in vogue at Carlton since our last Premiership.
There is no magic bullet and no coach will will turn things around in five minutes as if by miracle, in fact sacking Malthouse now would only confirm that we are a basket case with no plan, no clue and no way forward.

If we seemed like we had some direction, I might not be so fussed.

Reply #66

The "sack Malthouse crew" will probably tell you they never wanted him here in the first place.
The sack Malthouse crew will tell you that there are many issues at our club, of which the coach is but one.
The sack Malthouse crew will tell you that want to see all players improving and all players playing to their potential, not just half.
The sack malthouse crew will look at Port and Melbourne relative to where they were 12 months ago and wonder.

Our recent history is plagued by at least three magic bullets :

1. the high draft pick magic bullet
2. the superstar player magic bullet
3. the superstar coach magic bullet.

Personally, I find the idea of tanking ideologically repugnant, and I think it does more damage to the players spirits than you can imagine.

Edit : added point

Nicely put. Exactamondo. I am confident enough in our present President and Senior Coach to believe that 'tanking' is, as you so well put, 'repugnant' and will never figure any kind of consideration. We must set out every week to win... so we can assertain who are the hackers and who are the non-hackers.

We need an effective bullet to the head of magic bullet thinking. And I think it is at last happening.

I was heartened, in a sad kind of way, that MM acknowledged what he did in tonight's media conference - that he can see the softness come when we play sides outside the 8 ...and doesn't know why. That kind of honesty is refreshing and good. No problem was ever solved by pretending it doesn't / didn't exist. There are likely a number of reasons but I cannot help but believe that the losing culture from 2002, combined with an arrogant disregard for sharp recruiting and development, has damaged a number of blokes betweent the lugholes - too many of our top draft picks in particular.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #67
Really feel like Carazzo is coming to the end.

Reply #68

Wasn't MM appointed "As the Magic Bullet", isn't that the whole point, so how is this an MM defence?  :o

I recall club or coach comments like,

"The list is better than I thought"
"Things can turn around really quickly"
"We are at 11 o'clock"
"There is plenty of quality in this list"
"We need to target a flag before the likes of Judd, Scotland, Simmo and Carazzo retire"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Really feel like Carazzo is coming to the end.

I'm not totally convinced he's gone but having him, Curnow and McLean rotating through the midfield won't scare the daylights out of many other teams.
We can cover for it if Judd, Murphy and Gibbs are all up and about but if one of them is missing or down on form we're sunk.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #70

Wasn't MM appointed "As the Magic Bullet", isn't that the whole point, so how is this an MM defence?  :o

I recall club or coach comments like,

"The list is better than I thought"
"Things can turn around really quickly"
"We are at 11 o'clock"
"There is plenty of quality in this list"
"We need to target a flag before the likes of Judd, Scotland, Simmo and Carazzo retire"

Here is the reality version.

The list sucks
We are in a dive to the bottom
Try 6am est
When Judd retires we lose 50% of our quality...
Didnt know Simmo, Carrots etc were expected to play into their forties....

Reply #71

Collingwood only really bottomed out for one injury ravaged season, picked up Pendlebury and Thomas, got their players back and shot straight back up.

Was pretty handy that Trav Cloke fell into their laps under F/S as well.

Reply #72

Malthouse wasn't appointed as a magic bullet, he was appointed when the club finally acknowledged that Ratten's appointment was a monumental blunder.
We will look back in years to come and wonder what on earth our board was thinking, then the realisation will dawn that at the time memberships and sponsors were more important than winning games of football.
Malthouse now has to pick up the pieces of that train wreck, I don't envy his task.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #73
Malthouse wasn't appointed as a magic bullet, he was appointed when the club finally acknowledged that Ratten's appointment was a monumental blunder.
We will look back in years to come and wonder what on earth our board was thinking, then the realisation will dawn that at the time memberships and sponsors were more important than winning games of football.
Malthouse now has to pick up the pieces of that train wreck, I don't envy his task.

You cannot selectively attack some statements and ignore others, both the coach and the club pushed a tilt at a flag within three years. They made such statements and claims throughout MMs first pre-season and again a various times over the last 18 months. That is as "Magic Bullet" as it gets.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
Didn't front up mentally ready to play and the also rans got shown up for ability as a result.  Not good enough... and not fit enough to cover for a lack of class.

Too many so-called senior players going through the motions - they realise the season is done and a few blokes in self-preservation mode.  Expect some fearful floggings and no wins before the season is out... the end of 2014 can't come fast enough for this group.  Will be touch and go to avoid the spoon.

Will be interesting to see who has the desire to play the games out and which ones just stink it up for the rest of the year.... I know which ones I'd be flicking.

Malthouse must stop piddling around and stop playing the non hackers.  Results are irrelevant to his future now... he must chart the course for the future now because the closest we will get to finals is watching them.  We need to see who can play and who can't between now and the EOY. 

Can't see Judd continuing next year... why should the great man besmirch his career by going an extra year with a club that is years from being a contender.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?