Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 48466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #270
No obvious candidate for the job either, I'll give Bolton 12 months then MLG and SOS will sacrifice him to save themselves IMO.....the spectre of Ros Lyon might start shadowing
the club by then as well if Freo are not doing so well.Like an Italian cruise ship captain Ross doesnt mind abandoning the ship(see Stkilda) when the going gets tough and he might want a fresh start with some old friends like MLG and SOS to welcome him onboard a new club......unless he thinks we are too Titanic like and wants something a bit more cruisy....

Maybe the seas we sail are a bit too stormy for Ross? Rounding the Horn in winter would likely not be his first preference. Honestly and seriously, I would be pretty damned mad if he gets the gig.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #271
No obvious candidate for the job either, I'll give Bolton 12 months then MLG and SOS will sacrifice him to save themselves IMO.....the spectre of Ros Lyon might start shadowing
the club by then as well if Freo are not doing so well.Like an Italian cruise ship captain Ross doesnt mind abandoning the ship(see Stkilda) when the going gets tough and he might want a fresh start with some old friends like MLG and SOS to welcome him onboard a new club......unless he thinks we are too Titanic like and wants something a bit more cruisy....

Yep. Seems we've replaced one boy's club for another... MLG/SOS/Juddy/Juddy's new Board Member buddy... Ross Lyon would complete the picture... for them, that is.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #272
Historically though, under old regimes we'd have busts already. We don't have any of those yet, even the ones in the picks 50,60s, maybe even 70s range. We're getting good footy out of the likes of Curnow and Fisher obviously, Weitering looked so much better in a proper role, Mckay, although not in Curnow's class yet, looks like he belongs at this level. Dow and O'Brien have certainly been worth the picks and Williamson looks a good type. Like to see more from SPS especially, Cunningham and SOJ, but a couple of those will do better in their right roles, but they show the ability to get there. SOJ looks like he'll go ok in defence. Like to see the likes of Macreadie have a bit more luck.

Some will be very good, some solid, some even just good to foot soldiers but so far no busts, at least thus far, a novelty at Carlton. That will have to be useful to us somewhere, surely.  Polson maybe the one who's been least impressive but he has a good crack and played his best game last week.

Shows our mindset, not so much on how many become really good, but relieved there's no busts yet...lol.

Not convinced about OBrien.....for a pick 10 he has poor attack on the ball at times very outside, disposal has been horrendous IMO and along with Polson is the least impressive IMO....Polsons skills are poor and his nous for a AFL player is high school like...but he does have a go and I guess thats a starting point.
Cuningham...more talent and better attack on the ball than OBrien but spasmodic in his efforts, its when he feels like it...
SPS...like his talent and skill ,thats not the problem as it wasnt with Chris Yarran...its more of the same we get with Cuningham its when he feels like going he does or he can go missing for long periods.
Weitering....talent and maturity is there but the confidence has taking a pounding after a few nasty hits and he is treacle slow and I mean slow....he needs remedial sprint work just to be average paced. He isnt a physical unit like a Jeremy Mcgovern so he needs to be quicker and more athletic and he isnt ,thats his problem.

Mckay......got talent and skill but looks like he is playing games on his phone at times and just cruising along like life is easy and there isnt much need to hurry or
over exert himself...yet to figure out if that is just Harry being laconic or he really cant be stuffed getting a sweat up.
Jack....feel a bit sorry for Jack, hard gig following the old man and extra hard when your old man is the head recruiter and you were a 50/50 pick given your TAC form was ok but not a brilliant.
He does have a crack does Jack and seems to want to learn and cement a spot, he isnt quick, kicking skills are fair and hasnt got the natural ability of some of the other draftees but he will give you a contest
and is willing to play anywhere so I'll cut him some slack given he has a bit more pressure on him.

Dow....got some raw talent especially pace which we need,just needs to find a few gears and use the ball better at times...more convinced about him being ok though than a few others.
Attack on the ball is good and he is a good size for the modern midfielder......

Williamson is a good footballer, liked him from day 1...good size, has a go and a great kick...only worry are those back injuries long term..

MacReadie....honest backman, good attitude, lacks a bit of natural nous and can make ordinary decisions under pressure...50/50 to make it...

Fisher....been great, wanted him pre draft after his championship form and he hasnt let anyone down, like Kade Simpson he seems  to contribute every game
and he has the smarts in traffic which only the real good players have..big tick

Reply #273
Historically though, under old regimes we'd have busts already. We don't have any of those yet, even the ones in the picks 50,60s, maybe even 70s range. We're getting good footy out of the likes of Curnow and Fisher obviously, Weitering looked so much better in a proper role, Mckay, although not in Curnow's class yet, looks like he belongs at this level. Dow and O'Brien have certainly been worth the picks and Williamson looks a good type. Like to see more from SPS especially, Cunningham and SOJ, but a couple of those will do better in their right roles, but they show the ability to get there. SOJ looks like he'll go ok in defence. Like to see the likes of Macreadie have a bit more luck.

Some will be very good, some solid, some even just good to foot soldiers but so far no busts, at least thus far, a novelty at Carlton. That will have to be useful to us somewhere, surely.  Polson maybe the one who's been least impressive but he has a good crack and played his best game last week.

Shows our mindset, not so much on how many become really good, but relieved there's no busts yet...lol.

While I tend to agree with you that 1 out of 17 isn't good enough....and the young ones are promising...
one of the things we're not seeing with them, and also with the older players, is continuity.

Rarely (if at all) have we fielded the same side this year.
It's hard to get a combination  and understanding going if the bloke alongside you is constantly changing.
Only 4 of our players have played every game this year

Just with the kids...
Dow, Fisher, SPS and Charlie have had plenty of game time, and as a result have probably shown the most, 
but down the list.... through injury and omission

Weitering 11
Silvagni 11
McKay 8
Polson 7
Cunningham 5
Kerr 4
Williamson 0
Macreadie 0

and next cabs off the rank....
De Koning 0
Schumacher 0

Key players.....
Kreuzer 12
Murphy 8
Docherty 0...have missed plenty.

and some of the players from other clubs recruited to boost us have struggled for games. (some might suggest one or two might have had too many ;) :D )

Mullett 11
Garlett 11
Kennedy 10
Lang 6
Pickett 4
Lobbe 1

Others already on the list from last season have also missed through injury or form

Plowman 13
Casboult 10
Kerridge 8
Graham 8
Marchbank 7
Phillips 5
Byrne 2

We've used a lot of players this year but the combination has been anything but settled.

Reply #274
Not convinced about OBrien.....for a pick 10 he has poor attack on the ball at times very outside, disposal has been horrendous IMO and along with Polson is the least impressive IMO....Polsons skills are poor and his nous for a AFL player is high school like...but he does have a go and I guess thats a starting point.
Cuningham...more talent and better attack on the ball than OBrien but spasmodic in his efforts, its when he feels like it...
SPS...like his talent and skill ,thats not the problem as it wasnt with Chris Yarran...its more of the same we get with Cuningham its when he feels like going he does or he can go missing for long periods.
Weitering....talent and maturity is there but the confidence has taking a pounding after a few nasty hits and he is treacle slow and I mean slow....he needs remedial sprint work just to be average paced. He isnt a physical unit like a Jeremy Mcgovern so he needs to be quicker and more athletic and he isnt ,thats his problem.

Mckay......got talent and skill but looks like he is playing games on his phone at times and just cruising along like life is easy and there isnt much need to hurry or
over exert himself...yet to figure out if that is just Harry being laconic or he really cant be stuffed getting a sweat up.
Jack....feel a bit sorry for Jack, hard gig following the old man and extra hard when your old man is the head recruiter and you were a 50/50 pick given your TAC form was ok but not a brilliant.
He does have a crack does Jack and seems to want to learn and cement a spot, he isnt quick, kicking skills are fair and hasnt got the natural ability of some of the other draftees but he will give you a contest
and is willing to play anywhere so I'll cut him some slack given he has a bit more pressure on him.

Dow....got some raw talent especially pace which we need,just needs to find a few gears and use the ball better at times...more convinced about him being ok though than a few others.
Attack on the ball is good and he is a good size for the modern midfielder......

Williamson is a good footballer, liked him from day 1...good size, has a go and a great kick...only worry are those back injuries long term..

MacReadie....honest backman, good attitude, lacks a bit of natural nous and can make ordinary decisions under pressure...50/50 to make it...

Fisher....been great, wanted him pre draft after his championship form and he hasnt let anyone down, like Kade Simpson he seems  to contribute every game
and he has the smarts in traffic which only the real good players have..big tick

O'Brien now i'm liking more each game. Things might well come further with confidence, and more size. I do want to see more from SPS and Cunningham as both have more. Players that are a bit "choosy" and we have had a few of them, can be a coaching issue when you have a few of them in contrast to the odd one. I'm sure we don't recruit them that way, like we don't draft crappy kicks, just turn out that way when they come here. Harry has been working much better since he has spent alot more time on the ball. Certainly hasn't minded contested situations in the last couple of weeks. again, that could be confidence. As I said, like to see more of Macreadie as I haven't seen enough of him yet. His first few games were promising but hasn't had alot of luck since. We have enough there though we can certainly build on. A few will be really good, some good, some decent foot soldiers, as with most draftees, and maybe the odd couple might fall by the wayside for some reason, but we've drafted more ability than we did pre-SOS era. Hopefully between all those we'll eventually have enough players amongst the lesser one's we drafted to have a decent bottom 6 in the 22.

Looking forward to seeing Schumacher and De Koning, On exposed VFL form we have something there. TDK could turn our well and jump McKay but time will tell.

Reply #275
While I tend to agree with you that 1 out of 17 isn't good enough....and the young ones are promising...
one of the things we're not seeing with them, and also with the older players, is continuity.

Rarely (if at all) have we fielded the same side this year.
It's hard to get a combination  and understanding going if the bloke alongside you is constantly changing.
Only 4 of our players have played every game this year

Just with the kids...
Dow, Fisher, SPS and Charlie have had plenty of game time, and as a result have probably shown the most, 
but down the list.... through injury and omission

Weitering 11
Silvagni 11
McKay 8
Polson 7
Cunningham 5
Kerr 4
Williamson 0
Macreadie 0

and next cabs off the rank....
De Koning 0
Schumacher 0

Key players.....
Kreuzer 12
Murphy 8
Docherty 0...have missed plenty.

and some of the players from other clubs recruited to boost us have struggled for games. (some might suggest one or two might have had too many ;) :D )

Mullett 11
Garlett 11
Kennedy 10
Lang 6
Pickett 4
Lobbe 1

Others already on the list from last season have also missed through injury or form

Plowman 13
Casboult 10
Kerridge 8
Graham 8
Marchbank 7
Phillips 5
Byrne 2

We've used a lot of players this year but the combination has been anything but settled.

All ok if we had 5 wins, played competitively, and I could see some structure in a plan, I'd run with that given our injury luck. Just can't excuse one win, alot of thrashings from craps sides, as what we send out there, even with injuries is better than that.

Reply #276
@ EB1 two posts back. Excellent summary of where most players are at in my opinion.

I dunno guys, I wish I could share your optimism. I really do. Maybe I'm being exposed for the cynic I am.
In fact, my home game timetable is to txt my mate in the morning and agree on meeting time. Last week he couldn't go but lamented the fact that he will miss watching the youngsters develop.  There's your definition of an optimist right there.

What's telling for me is EB1's comment that Kennedy's kicking is average at best.  HOW CAN THIS BE?  Please complete the name of our game: Australian ____ball.  Name one person in Richmond whose kicking is not up to speed.  How did Hawthorn win 3 flags in a row?

How I would love to be a fly on the wall during recruitment meetings ...

Ok everyone, the next highlights package is a youngster by the name of x.  As you can see, his kicking's not great but he's a good kid and I think he's worth a shot.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #277
Not one of the u18s we have drafted the last 3 years has been a bust.

....yet.

SPS has gone backwards this year.
Weitering has gone backwards also.
OBrien is lacking any real influence on games at this stage.
McKay is showing potential, but is lucky to touch the ball a handful of times in 2 hours of football.
Cunningham has plenty of question marks on him.
Jack has just been moved to his 3rd (of 3) part of the ground in an attempt to find him a role.
Kerr is having very limited influence on games
Polsen is far from convincing and lucky to get a contract extension.
Macreadie and Williamson have question marks on their body.
DeKoning and Schumacher haven't fired a shot yet.

Fisher and Curnowfides, definite hits.
Dow is looking good without looking great.

I'd lock in 3 out of 15 at this stage.
The other 12 will most likely give us some players, but i guarantee some of them will be a bust.

Reply #278
Jason Cantstanyer kicks the footy like a bag of wheat,  worst set shot in the league by a country mile.  

Chickens came home to roost the previous weekend.... 0.5 doesn't win games.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #279

SPS has gone backwards this year. Not far backwards, be he's not the first player to have the second year blues. It's not a bad thing gives him a taste of reality that it takes hard work as well as talent.
Weitering has gone backwards also. Interesting that he has started to look much better over the last couple of weeks and I'd say is nearly back to Weitering of old, seems to preform better when he's the main gun down back.
OBrien is lacking any real influence on games at this stage. Is just a kid and has improved on what we first saw, right attitude and has a high football iq will be outstanding in years to come and if you can't see that ....
McKay is showing potential, but is lucky to touch the ball a handful of times in 2 hours of football. Is very young and is developing, needs a few more years to really match it with key defenders, but again took 8 marks on the weekend.
Cunningham has plenty of question marks on him. Has some question marks on him but the best of him is what we are lacking, straight line attacking player with pace and a willingness to get his own ball
Jack has just been moved to his 3rd (of 3) part of the ground in an attempt to find him a role. How many 4th round picks make it?
Kerr is having very limited influence on games How many 4th round picks make it
Polsen is far from convincing and lucky to get a contract extension. Played his best game against Hawthorn and may have needed that block of games to gain confidence, is fast, tough (knocked out and still played on) and a very willing tackler, under 10 games.
Macreadie and Williamson have question marks on their body. This is laughable - Williamson is still growing much the same as Harry did in his first season and was doing weights putting pressure on his spine. 15 games in his first year and a hot spot on his back so the club did the right thing and shut him down. Macreadie again was young and possibly still growing while doing weights and has been having hamstring problems which again are connected to the back and if still growing will create problems.
DeKoning and Schumacher haven't fired a shot yet. Schumacher was BOG in the 2s and in his first year DeKoning is a big man playing behind other young bigs.

How you could write anyone off yet, or even suggest it is beyond me. That being said I hold fears ATM for Jack and Kerr and would think that if they weren't who they are they wouldn't have played half the amount of games they had.

Fisher and Curnowfides, definite hits.
Dow is looking good without looking great.

I'd lock in 3 out of 15 at this stage.
The other 12 will most likely give us some players, but i guarantee some of them will be a bust.

Reply #280
Hang on Raydan, you've come in like a whirlwind as your avatar suggests and misread the room.

I'm not writing anyone off yet. Just pointing out that plenty have question marks.

Sheer %'s tell you that they won't all make it. That's the point of the above.

Some won't make it and if they don't, i've listed a reason as to why that might be the case.

Reply #281
Of sos draftees the ones that I have locked in to be 100-200 game players are:

Williamson
Fisher
Dow
Curnow
Weitering
sps

The rest might or might not get there, but they have the tools and the opportunity to get there with polson being my only question mark.

Reminder: look at our list.  This is a fairly good strike rate from three drafts.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #282
Of sos draftees the ones that I have locked in to be 100-200 game players are:

Williamson
Fisher
Dow
Curnow
Weitering
sps

The rest might or might not get there, but they have the tools and the opportunity to get there with polson being my only question mark.

Reminder: look at our list.  This is a fairly good strike rate from three drafts.

At this stage yes.

Look at any list and look at the past 2 years, and everyone drafted is still on it, they have to be.
3 years? Only the truly awful are cut in that time.

Most clubs have most players from the past 3 years still on their list, so its not unusual.

History tells you though, that a 100% strikerate is simply not possible. Thus, some won't make it. There's a multitude of reasons why. Too many to give an exhaustive list on.
I'd agree with anyone that is certainly looks promising. But it doesn't matter how many happy pills I, or anyone, happen to pop, there will be a downside and some won't cut it as AFL footballers. If i'm perceived to be 'negative' for suggesting that, so be it. But revisit this in another few years and i bet my balls that some of those 15 players are no longer on our list.

Reply #283
At this stage yes.

Look at any list and look at the past 2 years, and everyone drafted is still on it, they have to be.
3 years? Only the truly awful are cut in that time.

Most clubs have most players from the past 3 years still on their list, so its not unusual.

History tells you though, that a 100% strikerate is simply not possible. Thus, some won't make it. There's a multitude of reasons why. Too many to give an exhaustive list on.
I'd agree with anyone that is certainly looks promising. But it doesn't matter how many happy pills I, or anyone, happen to pop, there will be a downside and some won't cut it as AFL footballers. If i'm perceived to be 'negative' for suggesting that, so be it. But revisit this in another few years and i bet my balls that some of those 15 players are no longer on our list.

I think you misunderstood.

When I said look at our list, I meant in regards to previous draftees.

Of our previous draftees not many looked like being 100+ gamers.  We've hit at least six in the last three drafts.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #284
I think you misunderstood.

When I said look at our list, I meant in regards to previous draftees.

Of our previous draftees not many looked like being 100+ gamers.  We've hit at least six in the last three drafts.

...and go back and look at those same 'previous' drafts only a year or 2 after they occured, and all of those players were 100+ game players too.

We thought we'd never have to draft a KPP again after we got Watson, Mitchell and McCarthy in the same draft!  :-[