Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary (Read 39569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Giants defeat Blues - after match summary

Reply #75

You cannot selectively attack some statements and ignore others, both the coach and the club pushed a tilt at a flag within three years. They made such statements and claims throughout MMs first pre-season and again a various times over the last 18 months. That is as "Magic Bullet" as it gets.

It's more marketing in my opinion, but I would hope that Malthouse honestly believes that he can take us to a flag in the next few years, if he doesn't then we're really in strife.
Kreuzer will make a huge difference, some natural improvement and some astute recruiting and all is not lost.
Scrubbers can play decent football if they've got better players around them, but at the moment the scrubbers are too thick on the ground.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #76
The new President, Mark la la land, if he didn't know before, knows now that he needs to get his head down and arse up and get rid of the deadwood on the board, one bloke I know on there has got the ability of a flea, get the right personnel in and sack the idiots who recruited Watson, Mitchell, Bootsma and Lucas.

Mick has got to stop with this, "we pick the team that can win the game cr@p" and put in some young blokes. Carrots is gone. Can't run and kicks the ball in the air when he passes it. Carrots out, Graham in. Put Johnson in, and try the Irishman. Even give Cameron Wood a go.

Now about Rowe. Aside from the Brisbane Lions, I cannot think of another team where Rowe would get a regular game and he might have difficulty getting one there. Like all of you, I admire his magnificent fight to beat the disease with which he was afflicted. I have said here that he has improved over the last 7 or so rounds, but the level he is at now, is just not good enough to hold down a key position at AfL level. He does his best, but his best isn't good enough. He said in the interview today that he's a fighter. You have to be to beat cancer. But that fighting quality can't mask a lack of skill and ability.

He is easily pushed off the ball. Sometimes you get a second effort, other times it's as if he is asleep and stands back watching the action going on around him. He is not an attacking defender. Jammo will get the ball, and when possible will commence an attacking move from the back line. Rowe, won't or more probably, can't do that. I know how much the coach admires him, but he will not be part of a top four team.

Rowe is no superstar but he is more then serviceable in only his second year trying to hold down a key position in a bottom 6 team where the ball flys jn under little pressure the bulk of the time yet and he is one of handful of players that is in gun after a loss.

The fact is 3/4 of our team is easily pushed off ball, 3/4 lack skill, 3/4 lack ability and 3/4 can't hold down a key position. 

Reply #77
Can anyone highlight what improvements Mick has engineered? The list is the list. Yes. But is there anyone he has generally improved - either by coaching them to be better / smarter players or by positional changes?

Looking at Roos as an example, he has been able to directly influence improvement in the likes of Watts, Dunn and Frawley simply by changing them positionally. And he's been able to improve them as a team, despite losing key personnel up forward. Some hate his style because it's boring and ugly. But I would much rather be tougher to score against and win ugly than to constantly bleed goals in 'honourable' losses.

I just don't get what Mick is trying to implement. And I don't think the players do either.

Reply #78
Those who are calling for MM's head, who would be a good replacement ? Its not as if there's a Roos, Lyon or a Clarkson uncontracted and ready to be poached...

That Bolton guy seems To go alright.

It's about the direction of the footy club. Such a Carlton way. Get someone successful
Instead of building our own.

Alan Joyce went alright for one year....you and me could coach Hawthorn.....

A team like hawthorn obviously rated him enough to put him in that position.

Heaven forbid we think outside the Carlton bubble.

You and me could have coached the Eagles in the early 90's yet Malthouse is lauded for his record.

Malthouse sent Collingwood to the bottom before he could raise them...they stuck fat with him and rebuilt...do you think Mick will get that same luxury with us?

Collingwood only really bottomed out for one injury ravaged season, picked up Pendlebury and Thomas, got their players back and shot straight back up.

After 2003 GF they finished 13th and 15th the next 2 years then back up to 6th.

Reply #79
I'm with you on that one LLS.. just WTF has the great Mick Malthouse done...?    I just don't see it.  Thus far he has overseen us plummet towards the bottom with no sign of the crash dive being arrested.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #80

Wasn't MM appointed "As the Magic Bullet", isn't that the whole point, so how is this an MM defence?  :o

Malthouse wasn't appointed as a magic bullet, he was appointed when the club finally acknowledged that Ratten's appointment was a monumental blunder.
We will look back in years to come and wonder what on earth our board was thinking, then the realisation will dawn that at the time memberships and sponsors were more important than winning games of football.
Malthouse now has to pick up the pieces of that train wreck, I don't envy his task.

That so-called mistake of a coach had us playing finals again. Since 2001 Ratts has been the only one capable achieving that. Watched the highlights on Ch7 of the 2011 SF again against West Coast. A very undermanned side really had a crack and near won. Looked like I was watching a completely different side. Where's that effort now? Essentially the same side. I knew we were undermanned but i didn't until it was mentioned that we only had 4 players over 190cm on the ground after half time. You actually see, watching that, what a good job Ratts did.

Reply #81
Not that it had any bearing on the result, but can anyone explain how McLean could cop a forearm under the chin 5 metres from the umpire and not get a free kick?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #82
You actually see, watching that, what a good job Ratts did.

We'll never agree about Ratten.

Reply #83
Not that it had any bearing on the result, but can anyone explain how McLean could cop a forearm under the chin 5 metres from the umpire and not get a free kick?

He plays for Carlton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84

Wasn't MM appointed "As the Magic Bullet", isn't that the whole point, so how is this an MM defence?  :o

Malthouse wasn't appointed as a magic bullet, he was appointed when the club finally acknowledged that Ratten's appointment was a monumental blunder.
We will look back in years to come and wonder what on earth our board was thinking, then the realisation will dawn that at the time memberships and sponsors were more important than winning games of football.
Malthouse now has to pick up the pieces of that train wreck, I don't envy his task.

That so-called mistake of a coach had us playing finals again. Since 2001 Ratts has been the only one capable achieving that. Watched the highlights on Ch7 of the 2011 SF again against West Coast. A very undermanned side really had a crack and near won. Looked like I was watching a completely different side. Where's that effort now? Essentially the same side. I knew we were undermanned but i didn't until it was mentioned that we only had 4 players over 190cm on the ground after half time. You actually see, watching that, what a good job Ratts did.

+1. Sigh...............

Reply #86
Today's result was really immaterial because let's face, we're crap  and the season is a bust anyway but if I was a board member I'd be asking Mick just why we keep losing to lower ranked sides....  and what he intends to do about it in the future.  Because to be quite frank, if Mick wants to continue this kind of crap needs to stop. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #87

+1. Sigh...............

X2

Don't bother arguing with B4L, he used to say Ratts should be winning a premiership with this list lol.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #88
Board got mm to win a flag
Flag not gunna happen
Hence sticks swann walk away..

Reply #89
Today's result was really immaterial because let's face, we're crap  and the season is a bust anyway but if I was a board member I'd be asking Mick just why we keep losing to lower ranked sides....  and what he intends to do about it in the future.  Because to be quite frank, if Mick wants to continue this kind of crap needs to stop.

He'll coach next year, if we get to round 17 or 18 next year and we're no better than we are now he'll be gone at year's end.
If Malthouse can't improve us then it's back to the drawing board but it's going to get a lot harder for Victorian teams in the future so it could be a long time between drinks.