Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 6382 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #90
Curious. What did they stuff up last round?

I'm not sure where your recent obsession with 7 defenders comes from.

There is probably only 4-5 defenders and 'mids' making up the last couple spots anyway.

Saad and Docherty can and have both played on the wing previously to great effect.
So swapping a Cottrel/Lob into that '7' is easy enough to do as well.

If you were a forward would you prefer Stocker standing you or O'Brien?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #91
If you were a forward would you want to chase LoB up and down the ground all game?

If I were a forward I'd expect to see LoB on the wing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
Stocker hasn't even been named in the extended squad, so i can't help but think something is not right there, on the field or off.

If i'm a forward it depends on how i get my ball and/or how i influence the game.
If i'm an elite athlete that wants to run my opponent into the ground or get easy ball by him not chasing me, then i'd want stocker.
If i'm more of a stay at home type, then Lob would provide an easier opponent.

Reply #93
If you were a forward would you want to chase LoB up and down the ground all game?

If I were a forward I'd expect to see LoB on the wing!

It was a simple question.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #94
It was a simple question.
Yes I get that, but it's a bit meaningless, you might as well ask who you'd rather ruck against Motlop or Fisher?

The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
WCE have 3 dangerous smalls in Cripps, Rioli and Ryan.....and we know what Ryan can do in the air too.

Was at the game against the Pies and watched closely how hard Stocker worked on Ginnivan. He sprayed a few kicks but he was right on him and physically gave it to him all day. I'm not sure we have anyone else like that in our backline at the moment so I'm surprised that Boyd has continually got games ahead of him.

Agreed though, might be more to it than just form or match ups. From memory he took some time away from the game a year or two back?

I would hate to see him put his hand up and ask to be traded at the end of the year.

Reply #96
WCE have 3 dangerous smalls in Cripps, Rioli and Ryan.....and we know what Ryan can do in the air too.
I suppose the hope is that if our Mids and SFs are switched on they will pressure the ball carrier such that Weitering, Young and others intercept making the ground ball redundant. It's primarily been the way we dominate, ferocious team based pressure.

If our Mids and SFs go missing we are in trouble regardless of the opposition forward setup.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #97
Agreed LP....reckon we've missed Owies a bit in the small forward pressure area and he and Durdin have worked well. Motlop stepped up last week and hit the scoreboard too. Having them allows Fisher to play a bit more up the ground a bit too. If it's wet n windy then it'll be a bit harder for McKay/Charlie so the smalls will be critical.

Reply #98
Stocker would be an automatic selection if fit for me, a spicy backpocket makes for a good defense Imho......good Carlton teams had good backpockets going back to Ian Collins, Des English, Wayne Harmes, Dean Rice, Matty Hogg.

Reply #99
Baggers I had exactly the same thought about Sam Durdin possibly playing down back and allowing Young to ruck in tandem with TDK. Young has been fantastic down back and would be difficult to remove him...and Durdin played one game before being injured. Darling would be a tough match up for him.

Natanui didn't dominate last week in his first game back but he is a huge bloke and represents a big danger. Also not sure who the 3rd tall defender is that goes to Waterman. He looked dangerous early last week. Have seen him dominate in a few WAFL games this year. He's a strong mark for a bloke who's not overly tall.

Great minds, eh, Surfer Dude  ;D It was a long shot, though. We know our MC is pretty conservative and probably didn't want to upset the status quo too much (Tall Durds confirmed as an emergency).

That forward line of the Weagles is pretty bloody good. Apart from the obvious abilities of Kennedy and Darling all the rest are more than capable of hitting the scoreboard... Cripps, Ryan and Rioli are all dangerous. Reckon Waterman will get Plowman or Newman. Doc and Saady will have their work cut out for them. Much on the shoulders of the mids and wingers to cut off supply.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #100
iirc, One of TDK's very early games was against Nic Nat and against the odds, and against the predictions of all the various AFL media, TDK did very well!

Good to know. Speriamo (my friends are going to get sick of me using this new addition to the vocab...) ;D  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #101
Curious. What did they stuff up last round?

I'm not sure where your recent obsession with 7 defenders comes from.

There is probably only 4-5 defenders and 'mids' making up the last couple spots anyway.

Saad and Docherty can and have both played on the wing previously to great effect.
So swapping a Cottrel/Lob into that '7' is easy enough to do as well.

We have gone into every game this season with seven or eight defenders, until the Saints game.

Cottrell, O'Brien and Newnes are wingers who work from end to end and often help out in defence.  They are not defenders in the mould of Williams, Docherty, Saad, McGovern, Stocker, Plowman, Kemp, Parks, Boyd, Weitering, Marchbank, Young and McDonald.  With the exception of Young and Weitering, our defenders spend time on the interchange bench.  If we don't have a seventh or eighth defender, one opposition forward will have an advantage.

We saw that against the Saints where players like Higgins and Butler were unmarked in their forward 50.  Our defensive cohesion, which has been a strength all season, broke down because we had wingers trying to play as defenders.  Ryan and Rioli will be relishing the prospect of being picked up by Cottrell, O'Brien or Newnes  ::)

I should add that playing seven or eight defenders makes it possible to move Docherty or Williams to the midfield, or Kemp to the forward line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
We have gone into every game this season with seven or eight defenders, until the Saints game.

Cottrell, O'Brien and Newnes are wingers who work from end to end and often help out in defence.  They are not defenders in the mould of Williams, Docherty, Saad, McGovern, Stocker, Plowman, Kemp, Parks, Boyd, Weitering, Marchbank, Young and McDonald.  With the exception of Young and Weitering, our defenders spend time on the interchange bench.  If we don't have a seventh or eighth defender, one opposition forward will have an advantage.

We saw that against the Saints where players like Higgins and Butler were unmarked in their forward 50.  Our defensive cohesion, which has been a strength all season, broke down because we had wingers trying to play as defenders.  Ryan and Rioli will be relishing the prospect of being picked up by Cottrell, O'Brien or Newnes  ::)

OK, so you identified a problem, sure. What was the solution though?
Going into last week, i think there was a full 18 players unavailable. Many of them defenders.

Who would you want coming in?
Setterfield has been the sub, is he good enough? Or is he another midfielder?
Stocker has been injured and for whatever reason hasn't really impressed.
So who else?

Unfortunately, the cupboard is bare.
So blame the match committee if you want, but they can only pick who is available.

Reply #104
Stocker would be an automatic selection if fit for me, a spicy backpocket makes for a good defense Imho......good Carlton teams had good backpockets going back to Ian Collins, Des English, Wayne Harmes, Dean Rice, Matty Hogg.

Don't forget Bruce Comben.