Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4973 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
What's going on with Sam Walsh?

He looks half the player he was last year.

A little bit out of form like half his team mates since last week. We have had 1 and half games of under performance and can't allow the rot to settle in. Coaches have a big job in front of them now

Reply #46
A little bit out of form like half his team mates since last week.
The kids had almost zero pre-season compared to his compatriots yet he's got to the point he can compete, we should be lauding his performance not bagging his efforts.

It's mostly skills and reaction that have let him down, decision making in traffic and the like, little connection with team mates, getting in each others way, etc., etc.. That is typical because I bet he spent all his available training time catching up on fitness and the skills sessions got the kybosh.

At least his ordinary is still enough for some to give him a vote, if only we had a few more like that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Sam Walsh's tightrope surgery hasn't left him vulnerable to further injury. He didn't come back too early. The ligament has been replaced by a plastic cord which won't strengthen over time. The trauma caused by the surgery itself would presumably be long gone.

As LP notes, the injury, surgery and recovery over a 4 week period has created a big hole in his preseason preparation. He had to focus on recovery rather than peak fitness and of course he had little opportunity to prepare via contested footy drills and preseason games.

Added to this, adjusting to the new ligament is a more gradual process that might take the remainder of the season. Cam Guthrie said that it took him a year:
Guthrie had about two weeks in a moon boot before progressing to light walking and running on the Alter G treadmill (weight-bearing treadmill) and finally running outdoors once the swelling and pain had subsided.

He began full training six weeks following surgery and played his first match at week eight.

Even still it took him the rest of the season to get back to full capacity, which included one-legged proprioceptive movement as part of the recovery process.

“For a good 12 months after the injury, doing a lot of one-legged exercises you could really tell the difference between the injured ankle and the good one,” he said.

“The biggest thing that impacted me after surgery was when I was kicking.

“I couldn’t really point my toe as firmly as I wish I could have. I’m a big believer in having a really firm foot when I kick and I couldn’t really do that movement to the best of my ability, but it got better slowly and I haven’t had any issues since.”
What is Syndesmosis? AFLPA in 2020

Reply #48
What can you say. It is not like we haven't seen this movie before. Maybe we can move away from this Voss Gloss nonsense we have had in the media over the past few months. We are a better side than last year because we have three new quality players in the team who weren't there last year. Curnow, Hewett and Cerra. The first three weeks we had a pretty healthy list, this week with Cripps getting injured we seem to have had a few holes. Witts is a very good ruckman. I have just behind Gawn, Grundy and Natanui but playinmg for Gold Coast he doesn't get a lot of recognition. He is also the type of ruckman DeKonning will struggle against until his body matures more. We need small forwards who can kick goals. I might be a bit old fashion but I believe a forward who lays tackles and engages in pressure acts is good, but a forward who kicks goals is better. Durdin and Motlop would be good, Dow needs a chance as does Stocker while Mirkov could be interesting if Pittonet is not available.

Reply #49
We need small forwards who can kick goals. 
I mentioned last week after the close shave that we had forgotten our Rnd 1 & 2 roots, because Charlie, McKay and SoJ had been so good we had become KPF focussed and we no longer looked threatening in the SF / Midfield brigade. Rnd 1 in particular it was the spread of goal kickers that got us the result, they focussed on BigH and Charlie, we kicked goals with the likes of Cripps, Kennedy, Owies, Cerra and Durdin, Charlie got goals acting as a rover. The last two rounds too much on too few and it makes us too predictable, other than Cripps the midfield do not look like getting the same number of scoring opportunities.

When we have more diverse scoring options, BigH, Charlie and SoJ get more genuine and pure one on one opportunities, not battling two or three opponents.

It's not unreasonable to understand how this comes about, McKay and Charlie are significant, but if we rely on them week in week out by the end of the season we will be losing more than we win.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Obscure comment and I doubt it was a factor..... but the shadows on that ground are a little bizarre, especially at the time of day our match was played.
Lots of contrast between sun and shade

Reply #51
What can you say. It is not like we haven't seen this movie before. Maybe we can move away from this Voss Gloss nonsense we have had in the media over the past few months. We are a better side than last year because we have three new quality players in the team who weren't there last year. Curnow, Hewett and Cerra. The first three weeks we had a pretty healthy list, this week with Cripps getting injured we seem to have had a few holes. Witts is a very good ruckman. I have just behind Gawn, Grundy and Natanui but playinmg for Gold Coast he doesn't get a lot of recognition. He is also the type of ruckman DeKonning will struggle against until his body matures more. We need small forwards who can kick goals. I might be a bit old fashion but I believe a forward who lays tackles and engages in pressure acts is good, but a forward who kicks goals is better. Durdin and Motlop would be good, Dow needs a chance as does Stocker while Mirkov could be interesting if Pittonet is not available.

Well said ... our prime movers were just not there and nullifying them gave them avenues to create and kill us.  All in all, a very poor and uncoordinated effort.     

Reply #52
I mentioned last week after the close shave that we had forgotten our Rnd 1 & 2 roots, because Charlie, McKay and SoJ had been so good we had become KPF focussed and we no longer looked threatening in the SF / Midfield brigade. Rnd 1 in particular it was the spread of goal kickers that got us the result, they focussed on BigH and Charlie, we kicked goals with the likes of Cripps, Kennedy, Owies, Cerra and Durdin, Charlie got goals acting as a rover. The last two rounds too much on too few and it makes us too predictable, other than Cripps the midfield do not look like getting the same number of scoring opportunities.

When we have more diverse scoring options, BigH, Charlie and SoJ get more genuine and pure one on one opportunities, not battling two or three opponents.

It's not unreasonable to understand how this comes about, McKay and Charlie are significant, but if we rely on them week in week out by the end of the season we will be losing more than we win.

Yep.

A too familiar old story... opposition bring heat, we evaporate. There's a sniff of down-hill-skier about us, I hope this stops. Other clubs and their supporters identify that about us. Wasn't it a goal for us to establish respect in the footy world?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #53
We just didn't compete this week v the Suns. Too many passengers and players who looked like they wanted to take the easy way out. Soft. Not good enough. Hoping Voss puts a massive rocket up them this week.

As for changes, it's hard to know but Pittonet is back it seems. Now we can see what our response is. I am very much looking forward to this and which players do respond. We must nail Port to the floor and take the 4 points.

For starters, I think Durdin, Pittonet, Dow and Stocker should come in.

Outs would include the injured Cripps, Martin, Fogarty and Boyd for mine.

If McDonald is right, I'd consider him but does he need a run in the 2's first?

Plowman worries me still.

Reply #54
I know it was just the suns, but they may not be the easy beats everyone used to think they were this season and they are actually pretty good.

We didn't make them look good either.  They played tough footy and took our best component of our game away.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
What's going on with Sam Walsh?

He looks half the player he was last year.

Might be something to do with the previous walsh was fit to trot and 2 years in whilst the current version wasn't expected to be on the field by now after his syndesmosis injury.

Cripps is the difference for us at the moment.  It was my biggest concern heading in.  Had we improved or was crippa in top form for a change and now we come crashing down?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
Today may have been a disaster, but it wasn't the end of the world. It showed that we haven't got a plan B as yet, and plan A went out the window when Pittonet didn't come up. Witts' dominance was the difference.

This simplistic assessment is 100% spot on.

In the first 3 rounds we got most of our goals from stoppages and dominated centre clearances so that our forwards had room to move and were not outnumbered - Plan A has been very good but Voss seems to be similarly placed to Teague when Plan A doesn't work.

Reply #58
The 'one soldier out, another soldier in' doesn't really work unless you're changing like for like....or at least something similar.
What's happened over the first four rounds with injury and illness is that we have developed an 'imbalance' in the side.
Players are being asked to perform roles that are not their 'A' job.
As they step up, others are required to pick up the slack of their normal role.
It creates a weakness and an imbalance across the field.
We sacrifice the strengths of players because 'a role' is required
It means our depth might not be as good as we may have thought.

Now add the 'after effects' of some of the covid guys who may still be feeling the effects, and Walsh being very much underdone (No criticism...it's amazing he's out there gathering possessions) and we end up with results like yesterday which shouldn't be that surprising.

Now if there is a criticism, it's that it appeared that many players accepted that was the case...and the fight, effort and intensity just wasn't there.
Go down, but go down fighting!

Reply #59
Watched the Grand Prix, when that finished watched the first half and thought that was enough.

Just a quick question for those that know more than me (coming off a low base!):

How can a player have more disposals than possessions?  eg only - not a discussion of players!

In the AFL Player stats, it has LOB with 17 disposals and Williams 36 disposals.

In the advanced view, it has LOB with 16 possessions and Williams with 27.  Can you have a disposal without having possession?  (Williams 36 disposals, 27 possessions).